Maps Confusion

Matt McCannon

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
As the title states, I am pretty confused with the maps on Windows Phone. I'm fairly new to the phone and I just haven't gotten the hang of them. There's a Maps app, a Here Maps app, a Here Drive app, and Places. When I use Maps and want to use the navigation it sends me from Maps to Here Maps and when I route my destination it opens Here Drive. Are three apps necessary for this or am I just doing something wrong? Either way, it's a huge pain. Thanks!

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Maps is the default Bing Maps app.

HERE is a mapping service, HERE Maps and Maps are generally redundant, although they're a bit different.

HERE Drive is basically the voice navigation GPS driving system. Keep that.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I think in Win 10 Mo you will see Maps gain features quite rapidly. All Places (especially for Cortana) are going to use Maps.

I love Here Drive for nav and have Here Maps on my laptop, tablet and phone. They sync between them nicely. Maps will do the same. Microsoft used to rely on Nokia's Here suite, but those days are ending. As a new user you may want to invest your time and learning into Maps if you are going all in with Microsoft. If you are also invested in Android and/or iOS you might like Here better. Certainly Here's offline map support helps Nav a lot.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes