How can I make apps close when using the BACK button?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

I'm using a Microsoft Lumia 640 Dual SIM running Windows 10. On the previous OS when the BACK button was pressed, the app closed. Now with 10 the apps stays open.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I'm using a Microsoft Lumia 640 Dual SIM running Windows 10. On the previous OS when the BACK button was pressed, the app closed. Now with 10 the apps stays open.

you can long press the back button and it will show you open apps - you can then close them by selecting the x on each app or swiping them down to close
Even if they are open, they aren't consuming resources since they are suspended in the background

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Windows Central.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Well, some apps will close when the back button is pressed enough times, some won't.

Either way, it doesn't really matter as performance isn't affected if you don't fully close an app.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
App developers were given the option for back button behavior, suspend or close. That is why it varies between apps, even those published by Microsoft are not consistent.

I have long been in the habit of holding down the back arrow to clear out open apps I no longer am using actively.

FYI: this view (when holding back arrow) is called Multitasking View so you can slide between applications as you work on a project requiring more than one app. I feel this is why many devs do not program back arrow to close.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes