When I try to open windows update it opens briefly then disappears. I have windows 10.

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

I think this problem started when an install failed on windows update. I restarted and now windows update does not work at all. I cannot even go to the advanced options for windows update to look at the update history. Even the update function on windows defender does not work as well. I have to do a manual install of the definitions. I tried the diagnostic tool to fix windows update and it did not find any issues. What do I do? The only way around this is to manually download and install updates from now on.

abhishek singh21

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
I think this problem started when an install failed on windows update. I restarted and now windows update does not work at all. I cannot even go to the advanced options for windows update to look at the update history. Even the update function on windows defender does not work as well. I have to do a manual install of the definitions. I tried the diagnostic tool to fix windows update and it did not find any issues. What do I do? The only way around this is to manually download and install updates from now on.

I have looked for this issue and found it solved on microsoft forums and you should too follow the same process which are as follows:>

If your settings still aren’t working and you have installed the most recent updates, you might want to try adding a new local administrator account to your device.
Add a new local administrator account to your device:
As you can’t get to settings, add through the control panel or search for “lusrmgr.msc” and open the Microsoft Common Console Document.
Select “users”, right click “users”, choose the option to “add new user”. Type in the required information.
With Crl+alt+del , select “ Sign out” to sign out of your account and then sign in to your new account.

If you can now open Settings, move your personal data and files to the new account.
Make the new account an administrator account:
Under Settings ? Account ? Other users, select the account you created > Change account type.
Under Account type, select Administrator > OK.
move your personal data and files to the new account.
If you were using a Microsoft account to sign in before, associate the Microsoft account with the new administrator account. In Settings > Accounts, select Sign in with a Microsoft account instead and type in your account info.

you can get the official troubleshooting page here:> http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...e/ec439819-7ee4-4b4d-abdd-35d82e04c55f?page=1

for further assistance kindly join our forums :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon