How fixing DVD not working (some time after a win10 )

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

My Internal driver DVD does not work anymore. The drive appears in devices and drives, it opens when I click on it, but no media is reported. Microsoft Driver looks correctly pointed to system32/DRIVERS/cdrom.sys

I am coming from a win 8.1 updated to win 10. It used to work.

I guess it is a SW issues, somehow related to regedit. I am a little scared of a clean win 10 installation (everything works fine and I would like not to reinstall all the programs).

Any way I could fix it?

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site

Attachments

• Capture25.JPG
    Capture25.JPG
    108.1 KB · Views: 7

Enrico99

Oct 11, 2016
Visit site
Many thanks.
I have (re-)tried all of the above. but no changes.
Also tried removing [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\StartOverride] "0"=dword:00000003

Any other suggestion?

Enrico99

Oct 11, 2016
Visit site
At the end I have done a clean installation using the MediaCreationTool (keeping only personal files). It works as before. I can tell it is an HW issue. Also tried cleaning,
Now I have reverted back to my previous windows image as I don't want to reinstall all programs.

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
At the end I have done a clean installation using the MediaCreationTool (keeping only personal files). It works as before. I can tell it is an HW issue. Also tried cleaning,
Now I have reverted back to my previous windows image as I don't want to reinstall all programs.
Hi! Are you saying it's a hardware issue?? The link I attached would have performed a repair upgrade and it would have kept your programs. DVD drives are not that expensive. You can also get a USB DVD drive and they work well! Good luck!:wink:
https://www.amazon.com/Ploveyy-Port...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU3576763

Enrico99

Oct 11, 2016
Visit site
Many thanks to all. Anyhow I was able to do a clean installation and getting back to my previous system. Only waste of PC time. I will try with another drive to be sure .... Then my PC is under warranty so they should fix for free (I am worried about the waste of time).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes