OneNote Not Syncing on Lumia 640 - Error Code 80070005

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

After editing an existing note in the OneNote app on my Lumia 640 this morning, OneNote subsequently gave me an error message saying that it "Can't sync". After pressing 'View Sync Status', I get the following information:

"Result:
You don't have permission to edit this file and the sync has stopped. Contact the owner of the file to request approval and then try again. Error Code = 80070005"

It was working fine yesterday, and the only thing I've done since then was to was to edit the aforementioned note.

I've restarted my phone twice, and reset the OneDrive app (using 'Menu' - 'Settings' - 'Options' - 'Rest App'). I've also sync'd my Microsoft account (using 'All Settings' - 'Accounts' - 'Email + Accounts' - 'Microsoft account' - 'sync'). I haven't tried a hard reset because the Windows Phone Settings Back-Up system doesn't store all the settings, so it's a very inconvenient process that might not even work anyway.

Is there anything else I can do to solve this problem?

I recently read that Microsoft have stopped making smartphones as of late-2016, so I sincerely hope that this isn't a result of them removing support for their devices. I know Facebook recently removed support for Windows Phones with respect to their Messenger app, so I accept that I'll probably have to switch to Android by the end of this year. However, I use the OneNote app A LOT, so I need to keep my notes up-to-date in the meantime.

Thanks for any help!

Alex_Bass

May 13, 2016
Visit site
Switching to WP10 wouldn't help as this is a problem with OneNote, not the OS. Also, I don't think WP10 is going to get much support in the future as Microsoft have stopped making Windows Phones (instead focusing on desktop/tablet software). Granted, OneNote is as much a desktop program as it is a cell phone app, but we're already seeing issues with major app developers dropping support for Windows in light of this trend.

As I mentioned before, I've already made the decision to switch to Android within the next couple of months because I'm sick of Microsoft's terrible app support and chronic OS bugs (which their customer service doesn't make up for at all). But I WAS hoping to continue using OneNote with my new Android phone because it's fantastic for keeping large note files (not sure how good Google Keep is for this?), so now I might have to dump Microsoft's software AS WELL AS their hardware. Not a good sign for a company that's shifting focus to software exclusively....

Last edited:

Alex_Bass

May 13, 2016
Visit site
Is anyone else also having problems with the clock constantly resetting itself? I've been having this problem ever since the OneNote sync issue began; it involves the date resetting to 07/04/15, and the clock resetting to a particular time that I can't remember (I think it's around 12am). It's easy enough to fix, but it's obviously very annoying and stops my Microsoft Account and Gmail from being able to sync.

shmsnh

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
Last edited:

Alex_Bass

May 13, 2016
Visit site
"Microsoft Lumia 640 is officially supported. Either you've mixed up your model number, or your carrier has blocked it." - Officially supported and ACTUALLY supported are two totally different things. Why would my carrier block the download? How could they even do that if I downloaded it through Wifi? My identification of the phone is irrelevant; the Upgrade Adviser automatically detects your phones eligibility to determine whether or not the WP10 update can be installed. If that program won't let me download the update, anything written on Microsoft's official website doesn't matter.

shmsnh

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
I don't want to get into an argument over it, and this is hardly the place. What I'm saying is that the update is available for Lumia 640.

Are you in the US? Carriers usually interfere with upgrades there. If your phone uses a CV ROM, i.e. is not tied to any carrier, it should get the upgrade. The fact that Upgrade Advisor does not find an update suggests it is blocked for that particular variant. Even then, you can temporarily use the Release Preview ring of Insiders to get Windows 10 Mobile - Creators Update for your phone. And then you can drop out of Insiders.

Alex_Bass

May 13, 2016
Visit site
I'm not in the US (I'm in New Zealand), and my phone isn't network-locked (and never has been). I appreciate what you're saying, but when I checked Microsoft's website it said they're MAKING it available (which implies that they haven't finished implementing it with my phone yet).

The Insider program might work, but I've been told that the version available there is a beta version that still has a lot of bugs. Is that right?

shmsnh

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
I'm not in the US (I'm in New Zealand), and my phone isn't network-locked (and never has been). I appreciate what you're saying, but when I checked Microsoft's website it said they're MAKING it available (which implies that they haven't finished implementing it with my phone yet).

The Insider program might work, but I've been told that the version available there is a beta version that still has a lot of bugs. Is that right?

Well, I'm at a loss to why Upgrade Advisor is unable to find Windows 10 Mobile for you.

I'll try and explain the relevant parts of the Insider programme in short:
There are three rings that are available under Windows Insider - fast, slow, and release preview. The fast and slow rings are generally for pre-release builds. The release preview ring is the ring that is the most stable of the Insider rings, as it delivers the builds that will be seeding to the general population next.

What I would suggest is that you opt for Insider builds, and pick either the slow or the release preview ring. Get the update for your phone, and then leave Insider.

stjmarin

Apr 12, 2017
Visit site
This is frustrating. I did find that on my Lumia 928 with Windows 8.1 i can see everything in onedrive app, but cannot open any documents using the office apps. All come back with a permissions issue. I originally thought it was an issue with my new windows 10 notebook and i thought maybe having a windows 10 device using onedrive with the same ms account was causing some sort of upgrade that made my phone unusable.

Alex_Bass

May 13, 2016
Visit site
So what you're essentially saying is that, in order to get a version of WP10 working on my phone, I probably have to download a pre-release version - is that right? If so, I have a few issues with that:

1.) I've heard from other users that the pre-release version still has quite a few bugs. This means that I'm supposed to download buggy software to fix a problem, even though WP8.1 is currently very stable. That doesn't seem intelligent.

2.) If there's no final release of WP10, it's very unlikely that downloading it will address Windows Phone's app support issues. In fact, given that Microsoft have stopped making Windows Phones (and no other manufacturer has picked up the slack), it's likely that app support for WP10 will be even worse.

3.) The OneNote issue is affecting users regardless of OS, so even downloading a final version of WP10 wouldn't solve this problem. For this reason, I don't know why you even recommended this 'solution' in the first place.

As I said before, these factors all point to a dark future for Microsoft. Even after a year, they still haven't been able to bring WP10 to older devices, and it seems like WP10 is a dead-end anyway because NO ONE (including Microsoft) is making phones for that platform anymore. Are we supposed to believe that they'll sink more money into an OS that no future devices will support? Come on....

Meanwhile, Microsoft claims that their future will be primarily invested in their software. However, OneNote is aimed at both phone and desktop/tablet users, yet they haven't even acknowledged this new problem (let alone fixed it). It only affects Windows Phone users though, so perhaps this is part of a strategy to gradually remove support for Windows Phone altogether?

melhall10

Apr 13, 2017
Visit site
Windows 10 is not yet available for most Windows Phones. Microsoft is trickling it down from new phones 1st. You must make a new purchase to obtain Win10, eventually they plan to release it to some existing hardware. The problem is within the Onenote app, previously I though the Onedrive app in general was affected. This is what I get when trying to sync. (Selecting View Sync Status) This is such a show stopper. I put alot of trust into the onenote app for it to be down for almost 2 days with no explanation? View attachment 135001

Last edited:

sviddx

Apr 14, 2017
Visit site
Same exact problem here, same timing (last sync was morning of April 11).

Lumia 640 LTE, running Windows 8.1*

Realized nothing has been updating or syncing in OneNote for a couple days. Looking into it through Sync Status, I get this message:

"Result:
You don't have permission to edit this file and the sync has stopped. Contact owner of the file to request approval, and then try again.
Error Code = 80070005

Last synced:
4/11/2017 9:30:12 AM

Last attempt:
4/13/2017 7:11:10 PM"

*My device is unlocked, but initially from AT&T. Upgrade Advisor reports upgrade to Windows 10 is available, but I'd like to avoid doing that until I see confirmation that this will actually resolve the issue.

boomer kelley

Apr 14, 2017
Visit site
My phone did the same thing on 4/11/17 at 7:50:32 AM. I had changed my microsoft email account that same day and thought it was something that I had done but after reading this forum it seems that I didn't mess anything up as far as that is concerned.

mikkelnielsen

Apr 14, 2017
Visit site
Same problem here, started 11th april 2017.

I've also been noticing as OP writes, apps have been disappering the last 6 months, and there is hardly any left, the Lumia 735 I bought in 2015 is now pretty much a standard nokia phone, but with smart phone dimensions. The techincal specification is actually pretty good, but since there is no software support any longer, and microsoft have ditched the Windows phone platform, to venture on to android, in their upcoming phones, it has become a abbandoned phone. It looks like they dont want to spend anymore money updating the Lumia series. I find it dispicable they sell phones they 2 years down the line just scraps, even though the hardware does not have any problems. just a waste of the consumers trust, I was buying a windows phone to support microsofts alternative to android, now look what we get.

In regards to the WP10 update, it is not very good, the outlook calendar functions are very limited, and you cannot make accurate appointments any more, which makes the calendar pretty useless.

other WP10 apps are also limited in their functionality, and makes the upgrade a very unwise choise if you like the features your phone got now.

I am very disappointed in microsoft way to handle this, continuing scrapping apps, says nothing, just plain horrible wa y to treat loyal customers.

shame on you microsoft!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss