Cortana App vs MS Launcher Cortana on Android

pjhenry1216

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
Who should be the default assistant? Offhand, I know Launcher-Cortana can't do navigation, but app-Cortana can. Are there any other differences that give one an advantage over the other as being more suitable as the default assistant on Android?

PS: sorry for posting an Android question here as opposed to Android Central. Just feel like more Cortana users would be here. I swear I'm a Windows fan, I just had to make do. :p

Urbautz

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site
Cortana itself would be better from the Launcher. However, the launcher itself (like most Android Launchers) waste so much space without showing any information. Just like the Windows 95 desktop some icons.

This is why I use Squarehome. No real livetiles, but close to it. Showing notification messages, together with "WaveUP" without touching the screen.

upsidedown

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
Again, my pet peeve (and maybe someone can tell me if I am doing something wrong). If I ask Google Assistant to send a message to a contact it immediately uses the Mobile #. If I do the same thing in Cortana, it prompts the screen with ALL phone numbers for the contact and asks me to select the number. This requires an extra step and does not work without touching the phone....

wpfan2be

Sep 7, 2014
Visit site
Unfortunately, those are Android limitations/restrictions. They can't do that except on Windows because they have full control, just like Google has full control over what Google Assistant can do.

There are many apps doing just that, like ReadItToMe which auto runs as soon as the phone connects to BT in the car, works very similar to Cortana does on Windows Mobile, "text from ... would you like read it"? reads then asks "would you like to reply" etc. The only thing you cannot do is start a text by voice. So MS should have no problem doing this in Android...

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
the read text over Bluetooth i really miss but cortana is rubbish compared to google assistant, windows 8 was great but 10 has just been downhill for me. loving android now loooooooooook at all the apps and with EMUI the themes are amazing
What's great about EMUI is that you can use the Microsoft Launcher with all it's features/gestures and still keep the EMUI features/gestures too! It's amazing!

IdleMind

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
I recently had to make the move to Android after my 950, and Elite X3 bit the dust. I really do miss having Cortana alert me while driving about a new text message, and giving me an option to listen to it, and dictate a response all through the Bluetooth integration in the car. I really thought this was just a common feature in all phones. Had no idea this was Cortana just being a good AI assistant. I need her back in my life. LoL Has any former Windows Phone users found a way to do this on Android the same as it did on the WP?

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
I recently had to make the move to Android after my 950, and Elite X3 bit the dust. I really do miss having Cortana alert me while driving about a new text message, and giving me an option to listen to it, and dictate a response all through the Bluetooth integration in the car. I really thought this was just a common feature in all phones. Had no idea this was Cortana just being a good AI assistant. I need her back in my life. LoL Has any former Windows Phone users found a way to do this on Android the same as it did on the WP?

See if the app Drivemode meets your needs.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon