Vivotab Smart Won't Wake From Sleep

Edward Mansfield

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
My Vivotab Smart will not wake up from sleep mode. I have to power it down and then reboot to get it started again after a lengthy sleep period. I have seen this posted as a problem on several web-sites, but haven't seen a solution to the problem.
I am not sure if it is a related issue, but the Vivotab in sleep mode appears to drain the battery quite rapidly. If I fully charge it overnight and leave it in sleep mode while I am at work during the day, then the battery is either fully or almost drained when I get home in the evening, even though it has been 'sleeping' all day. The battery on my wife's iPad will last for several days in sleep mode.

Ray Adams

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Hmm, that's strange. My smart has much better battery live than my iPad 3. In first two days, after I bought it, I have upgraded win 8 to win8 pro, and this was big mistake. After such upgrade Smart lost its ability to sleep. After even 2 minutes I was forced to turn it on by holding power button.

Do you still have original win8 or upgraded one?

Mr. Brown

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I would pay close attention to the apps you leave open. It's possible that some of them may be preventing it from going to sleep. I tend to close most things except for the mail client or IE10. Mine has great battery life. It usually lasts a few days without being on a charger. It does occasionally turn off or lock up while it's a sleep and I'll have to hold down the power button to get it to turn back on. This problem has also happened with my Surface Pro, so I think its less to do with the hardware and more the OS.

Edward Mansfield

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Update - I re-installed the O/S from scratch via the Settings->General option (which was a pain as it wiped out all my apps, etc.) The problem of not waking from sleep seems to have been cured. I am not sure if doing the re-install fixed it, or if it was one of the updates that have subsequently been installed via LiveUpdate that fixed the problem.

Edward Mansfield

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
I tend to close most things except for the mail client or IE10.
Is there an easy way to close a metro app? They don't have any 'X' button or the like, so all I have found to do is to go back to the Start screen, but that just leaves the app running in background, so I tend to end up with a whole bunch of open apps running, even though I have finished using them.

Narathan

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Anyone else still suffering from the "sleep of death" issue? I've read on another forum that installing a fresh Windows 8 Professional edition solved all the issues. I'm going to get me a OTG cable and a cheap USB keyboard and see if it makes any difference. I'll come back to this to tell my experiences.

Don't mind the differect model its being used on (TF810C) since it has the exact same issues with the sleep of death and liveupdate.

Source: after fresh install Win8 Pro (clean install), all mysterious issues solved (LiveUpdate, sleep etc)

Narathan

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Alright, installing a new version of Windows 8 Pro definitly has improved performance and best of all, no more sleep of death issues!

Battery life also seems to be a lot better, although I'm not sure how. Anyway, if your tablet crashes after longer periods of sleep, give it a try - it definitly saved my sanity!

Ray Adams

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
What about connected standby with Win8 Pro? Is you tablet can receive emails and other notifications?
I has bad experience with upgrading to Win8Pro. When you press power button, after let say 10-20 seconds your tabled is going to hibernate mode, not standby.

Narathan

May 11, 2013
Visit site
What about connected standby with Win8 Pro? Is you tablet can receive emails and other notifications?
I has bad experience with upgrading to Win8Pro. When you press power button, after let say 10-20 seconds your tabled is going to hibernate mode, not standby.

Been a while. Yes, you still receive notifications like weather alerts, Skype messages and so on.

Here's the kicker though... *if* your device is having the sleep of death issue like I had, upgrading to Windows 8 Pro is *not* going to fix it - I've learned that the hard way.

Now, this is where it gets a little tricky. It certainly saved my sanity! What you have to do to fix this, is enter the bios and look for the "C states".

These "C-states" represent power saving modes. I did some research after you mentioned Event Viewer and I noticed a lot of Kernel issues with LoginUI or something like that. The CPU was noticably hot as well while the device was crashed.

So, these C-states... There's the option to set the deepest State - default is C6. This is good, don't touch that!
But, there's also C4 and C4E, which are bij default enabled. These are the Deeper-sleep and Hard-sleep power saving modes.
I've disabled them, along with the "Enhanced States" option. What does this do? It mixes the C4/C4E voltage throttling and memory cache along with the lowering of the CPU speed.

Now my guess is, something goes wrong here, be it either the C4/C4E section or the Enhanced modes.

You may want to know that the only downside thus far is a bit more battery drain. My average drain is roughly around 5-10% more per daily usage. To me thats not really a problem. What counts is that my tablet has NOT crashed ever since, and notifications are spot on, never delayed and emails arrive on time.

So, in short?
1. Enter bios
2. Disable C4, C4E and Enhanced C states
3. Enjoy a never-crashing tablet :grin:

I'm going to experiment a bit more with the C4/C4E states, but I'm not touching the Enhanced C states option. Once I've some more time, I'll return with feedback. You guys are welcome to give it a try yourself.

EDIT: Some info about these C states
Everything You Need to Know About the CPU C-States Power Saving Modes | Hardware Secrets

UPDATE: Well, it seems its quite okay to keep using "Enhanced States", but the moment you enable one of the C4 states, the Event Viewer is riddled with kernel errors and a ton of other crashing apps. So in my case, just disable both C4 and C4E states and you're gold.

Last edited:

FileRonin

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys, I have an ASUS VivoTab RT TF600t model using Windows 8.1 with sleep crash issues as well.

Whenever I lock my tablet, I wait like 10 min or so then try unlocking it and it goes into blank screen, nothing shows up and I have to force restart every time...
HELP :(

HammerBoy120

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
I found that if you just change what the buttons are set to do, and the what the tablet does when it's closed, that it doesn't sleep as much. Honestly, during school it is pretty useful to have a death sleep on it so nobody can mess it up. :)

scott mclean2

Aug 23, 2015
Visit site
Hey been a wh?le since y?u posted thread but just wanted to thank you for info on vivotab ,was about to put mine through the shredder now after disabling as advised its working fine carnt thankyou enough all the best scott

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes