stopped by Verizon today to see an Icon and was met by snark

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
I was at the 4G Wireless | Verizon Wireless Premium Retailer at 724 Mangrove Ave, Chico, CA 95926 today and I asked the clerk if they had an Icon there that I could look at. He said, "that's a Windows Phone isn't it, we stopped carrying Windows Phones because they are so glitchy." I am not joking, that is an exact quote.

I said "Bullsh*t!" I heard someone in the back room say, "We can order it for you", but I had already turned to walk out.

There was no point in ordering, I simply wanted to see it. Plus there's no way in hell I would give them my money if they are going to talk like that. I am of the opinion the Icon is damn near the perfect size, but I wanted to see one in person. Right now I have a Red 920 on AT&T, but I am hoping that a phone like the Icon but with a SD Card slot and a Glance capable display is released at the end of the year.

At some point I'll stop by the official Verizon store in town and see if they have it in stock and if they are dismissive as well...

Last edited:

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm sorry to hear you had a bad experience at that store.

I'm not usually so "aggressive" to say something like bullsh*t, it was nearly automatic... I really wouldn't care if the person said it wasn't a high seller and so we don't keep it in stock or something like that. However I have never had a Windows Phone that was glitchy and I just don't see it as likely. Whatever his reason I just wasn't having it...

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Wow, that's awful. It's just about the opposite of the experience I had recently at a Verizon in my neighborhood mall. I wandered in specifically to see the Icon and didn't ask a rep at first because I figured I'd get exactly that kind of attitude. My boyfriend followed me in and I was looking around (stopped first to see the HTC One M8, which was in clear view to my immediate right). I started telling my boyfriend I wanted to see this new Windows Phone Verizon's carrying and he told me to ask a rep. The rep actually came to me and asked if I needed help. When I asked him if I could see the Nokia Lumia Icon, he directed me right to it and didn't hassle me at all. Said nothing negative either.

It's absolutely staggering that they would tell you they stopped carrying it. Bulls**t indeed! :angry:

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Wow, that's awful. It's just about the opposite of the experience I had recently at a Verizon in my neighborhood mall. I wandered in specifically to see the Icon and didn't ask a rep at first because I figured I'd get exactly that kind of attitude. My boyfriend followed me in and I was looking around (stopped first to see the HTC One M8, which was in clear view to my immediate right). I started telling my boyfriend I wanted to see this new Windows Phone Verizon's carrying and he told me to ask a rep. The rep actually came to me and asked if I needed help. When I asked him if I could see the Nokia Lumia Icon, he directed me right to it and didn't hassle me at all. Said nothing negative either.

It's absolutely staggering that they would tell you they stopped carrying it. Bulls**t indeed! :angry:

I'm hoping that the real Verizon store in town will not be so cheesy as the "4G" franchise joint. It's not so far from me, I'll make a point of visiting it fairly quickly and reporting back what the experience was like...

BTW, how did you like the Icon? Ideal phone except for the lack of SD Card Slot and Glance, or what??

shinkamui

May 16, 2014
Visit site
Who listens to store reps? 1 in 10,000 are actually enthusiasts who know what they are talking about. The rest are just badly trained salesman.

Sent from my RM-893_nam_tmous_201 using Tapatalk

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Who listens to store reps? 1 in 10,000 are actually enthusiasts who know what they are talking about. The rest are just badly trained salesman.

Sent from my RM-893_nam_tmous_201 using Tapatalk
True. But MOST customers do listen to store reps.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm hoping that the real Verizon store in town will not be so cheesy as the "4G" franchise joint. It's not so far from me, I'll make a point of visiting it fairly quickly and reporting back what the experience was like...

BTW, how did you like the Icon? Ideal phone except for the lack of SD Card Slot and Glance, or what??

The white version really made an impression on me. It's absolutely gorgeous in person. I thought the black looked kind of dull. I actually only played with the black one because that was the one the rep unlocked for me. The screen is really nice. I think it's okay that the Icon doesn't have an SD card slot, but no Glance would definitely take some getting used to for me since I've got it running on all three of my Windows Phones.

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
The white version really made an impression on me. It's absolutely gorgeous in person. I thought the black looked kind of dull. I actually only played with the black one because that was the one the rep unlocked for me. The screen is really nice. I think it's okay that the Icon doesn't have an SD card slot, but no Glance would definitely take some getting used to for me since I've got it running on all three of my Windows Phones.

Yea, I am really pretty curious as to how I feel about it in person. I really am a 32gb w/ SD Card Slot kind of guy. I'm going to wait for a phone that hits all my major wishes. I tend to think that the Icon's styling is nice, it seems somewhat similar to the 925 which is nice enough.

I'm really hoping that late this year MS/Nokia is going to come out with a phone that hits the sweet spot for me....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes