Activating a new SIM disabled LTE data. VZW doesn't know what they're doing

dakranii

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Just lamenting in here because you all get it.

I had a 928 that had the screen go dark on December 24th. Still got capacitive feedback when touching home button, so it was still working, but the screen was dark. Okay. Didn't surprise me that the phone took a dive. I went in and upgraded to a 735.

735 has worked fine for the past 6 months. I'm on the consumer preview of W10M (but VZW did just release W10M to 735 users last week).

On a whim pulled my 928 out of a drawer and charged it. It works! So I went in to SIM-swap back to the 928. 928 uses micro-SIM, 735 uses nano-SIM.

VZW Corporate store activated a new SIM in my 928, I tested a call, worked, I left. However, in the parking lot I discovered data was not working.

They tried a new SIM. No go. They blamed in on my 928. Whatever, maybe...

So I went back to my 735 to get on with my day, which for some reason requires getting another nano-SIM despite having a functioning one 30 minutes before.

Lo and behold, now the 735 has no data! Hmm....

I sat there for an hour while the VZW rep, who knew nothing about WP8.1, let alone W10M, struggled with the VZW tech on the phone to figure out which of my phone settings was causing the problem.

"It's not the phone, the problem showed up when you SIM-switched me. The problem is with the account." But let's dig through a phone we don't understand to find the problem.

Their solution? Factory reset. No, I'll handle that on my own, thank you. You figure out what happened on your end. They put in a "ticket" to figure out if the problem is on their end.

Fun times.

dakranii

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Coincidentally, when I left after getting the SIM in my 928 and assuming all was good, I was happy with my VZW experiences. The two VZW reps I worked with now and back on December 24th both surprisingly used Windows phones.

The guy who sold me the 735 in December also used the 735. The guy who SIM-swapped me today uses the HTC One M8. Cool, nice to see some Windows love in VZW.

dakranii

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Follow-up. A VZW tech called me last night. Strangely enough I got a text of a picture of a coffee cup from an unknown number, then a text to ask if we could chat about my issue. The tech was nice, seemed knowledgeable, which I appreciated. He had me try a few steps (Airplane mode, turn phone off then on, check data while on the call and while off the call, etc), did whatever on his end, but still didn't work. I did like that he could see what data has been coming to my phone and he sees that the last bit of data my phone called for was 11:38 am Monday, exactly when I did the first SIM-swap.

Still no resolution, but I like knowing that someone's there doing something. Hopefully I hear back from them today.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes