How do I save/repair my phone if I have a fake SD card?

Matthew Blair

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
Having a hard time admitting I have a fake SD card.

My adventure with this Samsung 64gig micro sd doesnt seem to want to end.

I think I'm coming to the conclusion it's a counterfeit, but I have refused to give up on it thus far.

I'm at the point now that if I sync one playlist at a time to it, it syncs fine. After each sync, I go into the Nokia Mix music app to see if it transferred and to play a few songs if it did. So far so good.

The problem I'm running into is that when the next day comes, some of the playlists are just fine and play with no problems. Others, although the playlist is showing as it's there, will not play any songs in it when selected. I just get the dots left to right like it's looking for it. If I search for particular songs from that list through albums or artists, it's showing that it is there, but when selected to play I get the same loading dots.

I don't want to admit I've got a fake card (what can I say) but it's looking like it...not unless the card is just bad.

For what it's worth, I've already thrown out the packaging it came in (dumb) and it is indeed showing as a 64ish gig card. I've formatted it with my computers sd card reader as well as through the phone.

I have read of people having have some success with making fake cards work online.

I've just started the process of running it through the H2test and will not get the results for a few hours. A quick error check through it's properties showed it was fine.

So I guess it comes down to this. If this is indeed a fake, is there any way of saving/repairing it through any means? Wether it be technological or sorcery? :)

yeewiz

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Re: Having a hard time admitting I have a fake SD card.

just give it up. that is, unless you enjoy punishing yourself. buy another card and begin to enjoy an issue free phone and worry about something else. it's also possible that if your new card also exhibits the same issue, then it's the app or something you're doing.

Matthew Blair

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site

I knew that was coming. :(

I did some more searching here, and I'm going to do a slow format on it and see what happens. If that doesn't get it, then I guess I have to eat it.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site

I don't want to admit I've got a fake card (what can I say) but it's looking like it...not unless the card is just bad.

For what it's worth, I've already thrown out the packaging it came in (dumb) and it is indeed showing as a 64ish gig card. I've formatted it with my computers sd card reader as well as through the phone.

So I guess it comes down to this. If this is indeed a fake, is there any way of saving/repairing it through any means? Wether it be technological or sorcery? :)

Many sd card manufacturers give warranty on there cards so does Samsung.

Not sure where you from or where/how you bought it or how you payed.

But if you still have a receipt/order placement/ bankslip or something like that you should be able to get a replacement. Even if you can't get to the webshop but payed with PayPal or credit card you could file a dispute.
And that you don't have the packing should not really be a problem for a SD card.

So as long as you did not get it from WeWillSrewYou.com there is hope

PS If all of above however fails be glad it's a micro card at least you won't choke on it if you eat it.:)

Matthew Blair

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site

It's a Samsung Evo....at least it claims to be. Got it off of, drumroll, ebay. The seller had good reviews, so I pulled the trigger.

I've contacted him with no response. You're shocked right?

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site

Well it could be an original Samsung with damaged hardware. You can try full formatting it on a PC with exFAT format and the allocation to 32K

Matthew Blair

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site

Well it could be an original Samsung with damaged hardware. You can try full formatting it on a PC with exFAT format and the allocation to 32K
In the process now. However, just noticed its set to 128 and not 32. Should I restart it????

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site

You can also do some read/write speed tests using CrystalMark

Matthew Blair

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site

Bench tests are done. It's corrupt/fake.

16gigs were ok. The rest was corrupt.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site

Bumer but now at least you know.

PS
What about contacting Samsung.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Ahh that's bad. You can check Micorocenter for some microSD cards, they usually sell it for cheap. And they have like 1-2 warranty (not sure about 2) when sold

Matthew Blair

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
Ahh that's bad. You can check Micorocenter for some microSD cards, they usually sell it for cheap. And they have like 1-2 warranty (not sure about 2) when sold

Their own brand 64gig cards are 27 bucks. Any experience with their brand? I really dont want to get burnt again.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Their own brand 64gig cards are 27 bucks. Any experience with their brand? I really dont want to get burnt again.

I have used a couple of 32GB fines, they work as advertised. R/W speeds are not spectacular for a class 10 when compared to the Samsung UHS-1 cards. You get around 10-15 MB/s write (if I remember correctly) which is quite decent for any phone, tablet...not so sure.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2