Rubber strap splitting on Band2

Wilphone

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
I had exactly the same problem. After 3 month of day and night wearing the rubber band splits at the the same place like WyrdWolf described it. I bought it at MS UK store and it was exchanged under warranty. So I have a new one and hope the material is better. I love Band 2 because it?s a fantastic design and it works perfect.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
The materials they use should not be used on these things. I had two band 1's do the same thing. According to the pictures in the tear down, they have that same piece of sharp metal that eventually cuts through the rubber. Which is why I won't get another Band. I love em but they don't know squat about durability.

n6Firefox

Mar 11, 2016
Visit site
I received my money back from Amazon after they recieved my Band 2 that had split.
I am going to wait before getting another Band to see where this is going, I hope Microsoft will fix this in the future.

notrichyet

May 30, 2013
Visit site
Support need to centralise the outcomes on these issues...they have replaced mine without issue, I called them, told them the problem and they said instantly it would be replaced...direct with MS Band Support....pretty sure they said they'd have others replaced for the same reason.

Not difficult to guess as soon as it turned up new that it would split exactly where it has done, it was an obvious weak point that should not have passed by anyone with anysense at MS :)

Great bit of kit but shame it has this failue point...

tjdubya

Mar 1, 2016
Visit site
Microsoft has an official channel for collecting this feedback - be sure to voice your opinions at microsofthealth.uservoice(dot)com/forums/283636-microsoft-health-and-microsoft-band/suggestions/12437835-fix-design-flaw-in-band-2-strap-which-causes-separ.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm hoping a company like UMi Touch, Foxconn, Gionee, JSR, Karbonn, Lava, Lenovo, LG, Longcheer, and ZTE would build some fitness bands at a lower price point but use the Microsoft Health app.

philxor

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Mine happened to start splitting right at the same time the Band battery died and wouldn't recharge. I went to the MS store here and while they had about 50 retail Band 2s sitting out they said they couldn't replace it with one of those, only with a warranty exchange version. I ended up just sending mine to MS. I fully expect them to send me a new one, but I will no longer recommend the Band 2 to anyone.

Paul Mooney

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
For Australians, you will be covered Australian consumer protection laws. The manufacturer warranty does not replace your rights provided by these laws. Although a manaufacturer may provide a 12 month warranty, your actual warranty provided by ACCC may actually be longer. For example, some products you may expect to last 2 - 3 years, so under Australian consumer laws, the manufacturer would be responsible for providing a remedy for any problems with the product in that timeframe. I would expect my Band 2 to last at least that long with moderate use. Having my strap split is not acceptable at three months, let alone 18 months so I would take it back to where you bought it, and refer them to the ACCC website.

Note that if the product does not do what it is intended to do and the quality is not acceptable, then it should be repaired, replaced or a refund provided. Note that you DO NOT have to return it to the manufacturer.

Consumer guarantees on products and services (from ACCC website - Australia)

Since 1 January 2011, the following consumer guarantees on products and services apply.

Products must be of acceptable quality, that is:
•safe, lasting, with no faults
•look acceptable
•do all the things someone would normally expect them to do.

Acceptable quality takes into account what would normally be expected for the type of product and cost.

Products must also:
•match descriptions made by the salesperson, on packaging and labels, and in promotions or advertising
•match any demonstration model or sample you asked for
•be fit for the purpose the business told you it would be fit for and for any purpose that you made known to the business before purchasing
•come with full title and ownership
•not carry any hidden debts or extra charges
•come with undisturbed possession, so no one has a right to take the goods away or prevent you from using them
•meet any extra promises made about performance, condition and quality, such as life time guarantees and money back offers
•have spare parts and repair facilities available for a reasonable time after purchase unless you were told otherwise.

Who to claim a remedy from

Products

You can claim a remedy from the retailer if the products do not meet any one or more of the consumer guarantees, with the exception of availability of spare parts and repair facilities.

The remedies you can seek from the retailer who sold you the product include a repair, replacement, or refund and in some cases compensation for damages and loss.

The retailer can’t refuse to help you by sending you to the manufacturer or importer.

You can claim a remedy directly from the manufacturer or importer if the goods do not meet one or more of the following consumer guarantees:
•acceptable quality
•matching description
•any extra promises made about such things like performance, condition and quality
•repairs and spare parts - the manufacturer is responsible for ensuring that spare parts and repair facilities (a place that can fix the consumer’s goods) are available for a reasonable time after purchase unless you were told otherwise. How long is ‘reasonable’ will depend on the type of product.

You are only entitled to recover costs from a manufacturer or importer, which include an amount for reduction in the product’s value and in some cases compensation for damages or loss.

tboy2000

May 29, 2012
Visit site
I was literally about to buy one tonight from Amazon. Now I think I will pass because of all the splitting. Shame.

Posted from Windows Central for Windows 10

Rodney K

Mar 18, 2016
Visit site
I encountered this issue with my Band 2. I went to the Dashboard Help page and selected "Fix my band". The used Option 3. I filled out the information using the "other" for the reason and explained that the strap split with normal wear. I then printed the label and packaged the band as specified. Dropped the package of to FedEx. Microsoft sent me email saying they got the band one day, then the next they said they were sending a replacement. All in all it took about 8 days from crack to replacement using the process that is in place from the dashboard. No cost to me at all.

tboy2000

May 29, 2012
Visit site
That's fine you got a replacement bur isn't this just going to continue to happen again and again with each replacement?

Originally posted by Rodney K
I encountered this issue with my Band 2. I went to the Dashboard Help page and selected "Fix my band". The used Option 3. I filled out the information using the "other" for the reason and explained that the strap split with normal wear. I then printed the label and packaged the band as specified. Dropped the package of to FedEx. Microsoft sent me email saying they got the band one day, then the next they said they were sending a replacement. All in all it took about 8 days from crack to replacement using the process that is in place from the dashboard. No cost to me at all.

tboy2000

May 29, 2012
Visit site
Surely it has to do with temperature. Colder climates causing it to crack. Can anyone in hot/warm countries confirm if their strap is ok. Likewise all those with cracked straps are you in regions with cold weather?

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Surely it has to do with temperature. Colder climates causing it to crack. Can anyone in hot/warm countries confirm if their strap is ok. Likewise all those with cracked straps are you in regions with cold weather?
It may, but I don't think so. I live in Las Vegas, NV. aka the desert. Our temps can get to 109 on average for 7 months of the year. I had two bands do the exact same thing in about the same amount of time. (6 mos). The first one was worse than the second. Neither have been abused. I don't smoke or submerged it in water and I work 9 hours a day in an air conditioned office. These bands, as much as I love em, are simply not durable. At the very least, they are not build for people who expect to keep them for any length of time.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site

My Original Band after 6 months.
broken clasp 2.jpg

My Microsoft warranty replacement band after 6 months:
band replacement.png
Should I go for number 3? jk. The materials are great in the showroom but not so much if you plan to use it. I'm hoping Band 3 addresses these materials issues because I miss wearing my Band.

BlackSheriff84

May 24, 2013
Visit site
I have the same issue, bought mine the day before black friday in america, living in australia though.

on the phone as I type, waiting for the support team to get my photo of the issue. have sent them a photo.. seems to be a very common thing on these devices bought around that time. my model number is 1721 and lot no/date is 1546, if anyone else has the same problem with that band 2 product check those, might just be a bad batch.

Hey Luke did you get yours replaced? Im also in Australia and got my from the uk from my parents as a gift. And mine has also just started to split. Can you let me no the process you went through. Cheers

nicktramontin

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
Got my band as a Christmas gift and noticed a couple of weeks ago the strap started splitting in the same place as most, where the metal inside the strap ends causing a hard edge which the strap is pulled against when wearing it on one of the smaller settings.

My band is medium and I wear it on the left wrist with the screen on the inside. My wife had a band 1 which she had to send off twice for repair, once for the clasp (no problem with getting a replacement), she now has a small band 2 and it seems the metal is curved in more for the small wrist so doesn't appear as vulnerable to the issue mine has had.

I wear my band at night where it probably gets more pressure on the strap than during the day when I'm at my desk mostly. I feel this is probably when this damage occurred, hard to tell through as the crack is on the outside of the wrist and when it was small was hard to notice. I certainly didn't abuse the device to cause damage, I wore it as the manufacturer intended (to measure sleep).

I sent my band off for warranty repair stating that I felt it was a design fault but got it back today saying I had caused physical damage so it wasn't covered! The split started as a very small crack right along the hard metal edge, this quickly developed into a larger split the width of the strap which is when I sent it off.

I'm not happy. I'd be interested to know how others have got on when complaining. No MS Support online right now to complain to, I'll try in the morning. It was bought directly from MS Store UK so I guess I could complain to the store itself, or maybe as it was bought with credit card go to them for compensation!?

Ok, so following my post above I contacted MS Support through online chat and they said about sending me out a UPS label to post it back for warranty exchange / repair. I pointed out that I had already done this and it was rejected the support person then went on to say:

"Ok, so the reason for this is this was only recently changed and is an issue that is just recently covered by warranty. So I can see here the issue it was sent in was under "other" however it does need to be sent in under strap tear. I can get this set up for you now if you'd like."

Interestingly I said "other" as the reason to send back as I thought it had the best change of getting through warranty claim rather than the physical damage option. I assume something else hasn't appeared in the warranty return reason (i.e. strap tear) since I sent mine off originally?

Anyway, I sent it off last week so hoping to get it back repaired any day now! I'll report back if they actually did swap it. They did end the conversation with:

"I will be in touch with you when I see you have received your replacement, just to check all is working ok!"

Nate Silver

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
Good to know, Nick. In spite of my sputterings about never sending anything in to MS for replacement after being denied with my Band 1.......I broke down and sent my torn Band 2 in and had a new replacement back within a week. As a bonus, this one seems to behaving somewhat better in regards to HR tracking, and also matches pace almost exactly with my Fenix 3 on the treadmill, something which was never even close with Band 1, my first Band 2, or a second Band 2 I picked up to try. So I'm pretty happy overall, but I imagine the same thing will happen with the strap on this one eventually.

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm in South Carolina. I wouldn't say we have 'cold' weather by any stretch of the means - though it has been winter.

My band 2 is starting to split - but only slightly...

Criticalbilll

Mar 11, 2016
Visit site
If anyone is interested I have just finished a chat with Microsoft support from the UK regarding this problem and they are saying that the splitting is covered, but ONLY as follows: "The strap splitting is covered by the standard warranty terms as long as it is still in one piece. If the band has split entirely and is now in two pieces that would not be covered." and that "It is just because if the strap has completely split into two pieces that would be considered severe damage or accidental damage and that would not be covered under the standard warranty terms for the band to get to that extent of damage would require some force to break the band entirely."
So for anyone whose band is starting to split I'd suggest returning it as soon as it starts because if it fully splits in two then you're no longer covered.

DeNachtwacht

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
I'm in South Carolina. I wouldn't say we have 'cold' weather by any stretch of the means - though it has been winter.

My band 2 is starting to split - but only slightly...

See the post above from criticalbill; I'd send your Band 2 to microsoft ASAP before it's too late to be able to claim warranty!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon