Qustions for using Continuum without Display Dock, can I get some help?

Cutuy

Nov 25, 2015
Visit site
Qustions for using Continuum without Display Dock

It's a great feature for Lumia 950/XL to have Continuum installed... However, the Display Dock will cost me another $99. The question I am asking is, is it possible to connect the phone to a wired/wireless display without purchasing for the Display Dock? More specifically, are the following solutions gonna work?
1. Use a cable that connects USB Type-C and HDMI. However, I found there are two types of them on the market. One is "wire" only, the other seems to have a chip installed in the cable that do the converting work.
2. Connect the phone wirelessly to a device that support Miracast (for example, devices like Apple TV) which connects to the TV via HDMI.
Does anyone (esp. Lumia 950/XL users) have any ideas on the solutions above... It would be great if you give a test result. If you have any other solution, please kindly reply to me ;)

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Re: Qustions for using Continuum without Display Dock

Continuum works with Miracast so you can have a completely wireless setup with Bluetooth.

Furthermore the phones support Displayport over USB so I don't see why not, just like using a usb type-c adapter for OTG.

orlbuckeye

Mar 19, 2015
Visit site

Best Buy sells the Microsoft Wireless display port for 29. I haven't been able to get it to work on non MS hardware (Acer and Alienware). But is supposed to work on a Surface pretty well.

Richard_Indy

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site

I'm using the Microsoft Wireless Display adaptor with my 950 using Continuum. It work pretty well for Edge, Office, and displaying pictures. Videos from Movies and TV app work okay. You can see the video fine tune itself as it plays wirelessly. Video playback isn't perfect in my opinion but it's a work in progress I'm sure. I'm sure the wired display dock would be much better with video, not to mention the usb ports to connect external hd's and sticks.

Hans Swolfs

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site

I have the same experience as Richard but with the XL.

Using the phone to control it, needs a little getting used to but really no biggie...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6