Unable to project continuum on Surface pro 3

inheart

Nov 14, 2015
Visit site
Hi guys. I recently upgrade my surface pro 3 into anniversary update. The first thing I want to try out is to project my Lumia 950 to the surface pro 3 connect app. However my surface shows that it is unable to project due to hardware issues. Anyone has any idea what kind of hardware is required to use this function?

inheart

Nov 14, 2015
Visit site
My surface can project to tv using miracast with no problem. But i am not sure if i need a special receiver built-in to use this connect app

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Just tried it with my 950XL and Surface Pro 3 and although when I opened Connect it came up with the "May not work" warning, I just ignored that and opened up Continuum on the phone, it picked the SP3 up and works.

I now have my SP3 displaying my 950XL and you can use the mouse and keyboard that is connected to the SP3.

Didn't know any of this was a possibility until I saw your post so many thanks and I hope you get it working.

NO additional hardware needed :smile:

Last edited:

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
One note, have you had the Firmware update on your SP3 that came out today, I updated mine about an hour ago, not saying that is anything to do with it, but worth a look.

Naushaba Khatoon

Apr 20, 2016
Visit site
Wow that's cool really to be able too use the keyboard and mouse. Have you tried a wireless Xbox controller and playing games on your pc through continuum? Please let me know. ...and also can you verify if we can do this with any Windows 10 Redstone pc or only the expensive ones? Can you try it out on a cheap pc with 2gb ram 32gb storage like acer, asus, iball compbook etc. Plzzzz

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Asif Shadab Malick

Nov 14, 2015
Visit site
One small request please....and this goes to people who have installed redstone on their pc and also on their lumia 950/950xl/1520/930/830/730/735/640/640xl. actually these are the lumias that support wireless screen mirroring aka "project my screen" as you know these ca mirror their screen in real time on to a smart tv. i just updated my small cheap iball compbook which i got for one hundred and fifty dollars to the latest anniversary update and so far i'm loving it, favourite improvements are dark mode, system requirements in store,ink worspace even though my compbook doesn't have touchscreen(i use it to take screenshots quickly and share/edit like i ued to do before manually with ms paint). that apart i ALSO NOTICED an option "project to this pc" as of now i dont have any of the lumias mentioned above. so i could not check and verify what this means. does it mean that i can now on project my phone to my computer just the same way i could do it on a smart tv? and does this mean if i have a continuum enabled device, i can use my laptop as an external device/monitor/smart tv to beam continuum sessions? and will it work wirelessly or will i have to connect it via cable?in that case what cable will i need? i dont have usb type c on my laptop, i only have usb 2 and mini hdmi. i am sorry if i have asked too many questions its just that these are very exciting things and i am very excited about it and i cant get answers to these anywhere. if anyone has these lumias can you please verify it AND LET ME KNOW..PLEASEEEEE.....also will connecting a wireless xbox controller to lumia 950 xl and then beaming a game via continumm wirelessly on a laptop work? that is SOOOOOOOO exciting. if that is true, then buying a cheap win10 netbook with continuum will be better than buying some dumb laptop like nexdock.plz let me know my answers plz...a very humble and excited request....

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
One small request please....and this goes to people who have installed redstone on their pc and also on their lumia 950/950xl/1520/930/830/730/735/640/640xl. actually these are the lumias that support wireless screen mirroring aka "project my screen" as you know these ca mirror their screen in real time on to a smart tv. i just updated my small cheap iball compbook which i got for one hundred and fifty dollars to the latest anniversary update and so far i'm loving it, favourite improvements are dark mode, system requirements in store,ink worspace even though my compbook doesn't have touchscreen(i use it to take screenshots quickly and share/edit like i ued to do before manually with ms paint). that apart i ALSO NOTICED an option "project to this pc" as of now i dont have any of the lumias mentioned above. so i could not check and verify what this means. does it mean that i can now on project my phone to my computer just the same way i could do it on a smart tv? and does this mean if i have a continuum enabled device, i can use my laptop as an external device/monitor/smart tv to beam continuum sessions? and will it work wirelessly or will i have to connect it via cable?in that case what cable will i need? i dont have usb type c on my laptop, i only have usb 2 and mini hdmi. i am sorry if i have asked too many questions its just that these are very exciting things and i am very excited about it and i cant get answers to these anywhere. if anyone has these lumias can you please verify it AND LET ME KNOW..PLEASEEEEE.....also will connecting a wireless xbox controller to lumia 950 xl and then beaming a game via continumm wirelessly on a laptop work? that is SOOOOOOOO exciting. if that is true, then buying a cheap win10 netbook with continuum will be better than buying some dumb laptop like nexdock.plz let me know my answers plz...a very humble and excited request....

your pc needs to support the project my screen option, it's not just the phone only

If you have the phone and the pc supports it, then yes, you can do it the way you would with a smart tv

It should be wirelessly. The cable option is using the project my screen app (you can control the phone using mouse and touchscreen only, no keyboard)

Have patience and keep things in a list or point form, not one long paragraph :winktongue:

kkaykaykay

Feb 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi guys, for me when I try to connect to my tablet, it the tablet would say ready to connect, but and the phone can see it.

Once I connect, the phone tells me to wait for instructions from device(but nothing happens on the tablet screen) so its just stuck and looping connecting... Can't find a fix, haven't tried factory resetting the phone

(Tablet and phone are both running latest release preview build 14393.67

inheart

Nov 14, 2015
Visit site
A update to the post:

I just realize that this function only available if both your pc and your phone connected to the same WiFi network. The mobile hotspot would not work in this case. Now I am able to project my Lumia 950 to my sp3 as well :)
however I do experience some delay using this method comparing to the dock. It could be my slow internet -.-

inheart

Nov 14, 2015
Visit site
Originally posted by Asif Shadab Malick

I think you can project your phone on your pc as long as they both at anniversary update.it require connect to the same WiFi network. I dont own a Xbox controller so I am not able to test this for you.

kkaykaykay

Feb 2, 2016
Visit site
I tried mine on same network, it didn't work. However, in the screen for "project my screen" it says you can connect only in secured connection or anywhere.

I assumed the anywhere one is direct connection.

daimv

May 21, 2015
Visit site
I can't seem to connect from a 950 to my laptop :(
(It is not a surface, but the problem is the same it seems).
I get the "This device might have trouble displaying your content because its hardware wasn't specifically designed for wireless projection."
My laptop is from 2014, it has an Intel i7 4810MQ and Intel Dual Band Wireless AC 7260 wireless card, which I think should work...
Both the phone and the laptop are on Anniversary Update.
The phone does work with the Wireless Display Adapter v2, so the phone isn't the problem.

When I try to connect, the phone sees the laptop but when I try to connect it just attempts and after a few seconds a "Couldn't connect" message appears.

However, I also have AirServer installed, which is a third party app to create a Miracast server. This app DOES work, and if I run it and set up the server, I can succesfully connect from my phone to my laptop. So just the built in server doesn't work.

I'm stumped :/

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb