04-07-2014 11:44 PM
176 1234 ...
tools
    They tried to ignore the personal assistant trend often dismissing it just to have to eat their words and be forced to implement one. I don't blame them, users want this sort of stuff even if privacy advocates don't like it. Ultimately their assistant seems rather crippled compared to google now. But I'll be giving it a try for sure when the preview is out. The nice thing about google now is how it predicts your needs before you have them. cortana doesn't do this (or at least they didn't show it). I suspect it isn't a matter of policy, but lack of engineering resources and time from MSFT. if you think it is creepy now, wait until they continue copying google now.
    04-02-2014 06:01 PM
    If you're worried about Cortana and privacy get the heck off the internet, including this site.

Sent From My Woven Black and Yellow Moto X
    A895, willied, yunchikan and 4 others like this.
    04-02-2014 06:03 PM
    wait until they continue copying google now.
    *faceplam*
    04-02-2014 06:08 PM
    LOL I have heard of Cortana and still find the name cool.... Dayum
    04-02-2014 06:18 PM
    Cortana reminds me of some scary cyborg from a sci-fi show. It learns what you do, where you go, who you are, who and what you know, something that no piece of technology should ever know about you (No, I do not use Facebook).

I'm going to get my WP 8.1, turn off the location services,turn off all of the Cortana tracking features (Hopefully this can be done), and enjoy 8.1. I hate to disable the best feature WP 8.1 has, but I value my privacy over a nice-looking app that talks.

The last thing I want MS to do is send my location data, people I know, etc to the government...

By the way, thanks for crashing my profits, MS... (Signature). I guess i'll have to work on a Cortana exploit to make up the loss.
    You can turn these features off (location tracking, access to email and other personal information).

Doing this, though, will limit Cortana's abilities as a personal assistant. It's a sacrifice for those that are security conscious.

Just remember this (which was touched on during //Build this morning). Cortana gathers personal information (like reading emails to get flight data ) off the DEVICE ONLY. Which means that if you have an email account that is set to manually sync, and you get new mail on the server but do not sync to your device, Cortana will not be able to access this information. It uses location data to personalize herself to you. It sends very little data to anyone without you telling her too. Asking her a question and getting search results is just the same as typing your question in Bing.

My intention was not to badger you about your concerns, you have valid ones and I hope I did not come across that way. What I would do if you are interested in using Cortana, after there is more information available, look into her inner workings and see what, exactly, she does with your information. :) Microsoft is not pulling a "Google" with all your data (unlike Google Now).
    anon(8657436) and Guytronic like this.
    04-02-2014 06:48 PM
    The OP got a point.
    Its quite scary
    Its getting to close, way to close.
    Last time i was in a convenience store, my phone whent of and i took the call.
    It was my wife, i scared ****less, how on earth could she know that i was there ????????
    It just makes you wonder.

Cortana, i personel think thats not a good thing.
    Its believed to be developed by NSA, so they can make cutbacks on there staff.
    A couple of weeks ago i was at a unemployment agency ( the US Department of Labor ).
    There i spoke with a former NSA agent.
    He was currently unemployed due to budget cuts, the poor basterd was over 40 years old.
    One thing for shure, he never find a job again.
    He told me that it was all because of Cortana.
    If you dont believe me, he gave me a picture from him during a highly classified mission.
    Somehow funny, to meet the predecessor of Cortana in the flesh.

But here he is.
    The predecessor of Cortana

250.jpg

If the OP is so worried about his privacy, than buy a Nokia 3310.
    04-02-2014 07:42 PM
    cortana reminds me of some scary cyborg from a sci-fi show. It learns what you do, where you go, who you are, who and what you know, something that no piece of technology should ever know about you (no, i do not use facebook).

I'm going to get my wp 8.1, turn off the location services,turn off all of the cortana tracking features (hopefully this can be done), and enjoy 8.1. I hate to disable the best feature wp 8.1 has, but i value my privacy over a nice-looking app that talks.

the last thing i want ms to do is send my location data, people i know, etc to the government...

by the way, thanks for crashing my profits, ms... (signature). I guess i'll have to work on a cortana exploit to make up the loss.
    oh my god if you don't like it get a freaking dumbphone. You will never have privacy and especially in this day and age
    04-02-2014 07:46 PM
    The OP got a point.
    Its quite scary
    Its getting to close, way to close.
    Last time i was in a convenience store, my phone whent of and i took the call.
    It was my wife, i scared ****less, how on earth could she know that i was there ????????
    It just makes you wonder.

Cortana, i personel think thats not a good thing.
    Its believed to be developed by NSA, so they can make cutbacks on there staff.
    A couple of weeks ago i was at a unemployment agency ( the US Department of Labor ).
    There i spoke with a former NSA agent.
    He was currently unemployed due to budget cuts, the poor basterd was over 40 years old.
    One thing for shure, he never find a job again.
    He told me that it was all because of Cortana.
    If you dont believe me, he gave me a picture from him during a highly classified mission.
    Somehow funny, to meet the predecessor of Cortana in the flesh.

But here he is.
    The predecessor of Cortana

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	250.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	14.9 KB 
ID:	61245

If the OP is so worried about his privacy, than buy a Nokia 3310.
    Lmfao

Sent from my XT1060 using Mobile Nations mobile app
    04-02-2014 07:46 PM
    Cortana reminds me of some scary cyborg from a sci-fi show. It learns what you do, where you go, who you are, who and what you know, something that no piece of technology should ever know about you (No, I do not use Facebook).

I'm going to get my WP 8.1, turn off the location services,turn off all of the Cortana tracking features (Hopefully this can be done), and enjoy 8.1. I hate to disable the best feature WP 8.1 has, but I value my privacy over a nice-looking app that talks.

The last thing I want MS to do is send my location data, people I know, etc to the government...

By the way, thanks for crashing my profits, MS... (Signature). I guess i'll have to work on a Cortana exploit to make up the loss.
    I have nothing to hide it is all fine with me. MSFT is doing just fine.

Why are you so concern about your info? Are you the president of some nation, or involved in a criminal organization, or a terrorist group?

I promise I wont snitch. Lol
    A895 likes this.
    04-02-2014 07:50 PM
    Relevant User Name. Come on readers, use your Reddit skills! Dude is named Instigator, what do you expect...
    anon(8657436) likes this.
    04-02-2014 07:55 PM

You don't like it you can turn it off. Stop the misinformation.
    SSgt Bruskowiz and xandros9 like this.
    04-02-2014 07:58 PM
    Why are you so concern about your info? Are you the president of some nation, or involved in a criminal organization, or a terrorist group?
    Some meetings in a previous assigment i had, cellphones where not allowed.
    Violating that rule then there where consequences.

So sometimes i can understand the reasons why.
    04-02-2014 08:12 PM
    I find this post extremely amusing. Cortana can be customized or even turned off I I'm not mistaken. Cortana was made by Microsoft, not Seor Sellyourdata Googl. Rest easy guy.

Posted via the WPC App!
    Called MS support lately? I did today because there was no way to cancel my 50+ One Drive recurring subscription from my account page.
    Interestingly, the recorded message said that if I continue on to speak to a support person, that, basically, I was giving them approval to share my personal information with anyone they wanted to. I was amazed. What other choice did I have?

So, don't be so quick to label Microsoft the anti-Google.
    04-02-2014 08:19 PM
    04-02-2014 08:26 PM
    So which tinfoil hat are you wearing today?
    neo158 and A895 like this.
    04-02-2014 08:28 PM
    As long as I can get it to call me master or lord, I'm cool with it! :D
    04-02-2014 08:42 PM
    I honestly do not care if Microsoft, Google and any Government know I spent 23 min's at Tim Horton's enjoying my coffee, then went to the mall.

Just like I don't care if they know what I look at on the web.........whats the worst that can happen???? So I saw some boobies :-o

I also laughed at some Cat's, a Dog and other funny things.

All it means is in future once Cortana knows I like boobs, I'l get better search results about boobs.....I'd say Bonus for me :-)
    04-02-2014 08:55 PM
    I honestly do not care if Microsoft, Google and any Government know I spent 23 min's at Tim Horton's enjoying my coffee, then went to the mall.

Just like I don't care if they know what I look at on the web.........whats the worst that can happen???? So I saw some boobies :-o

All it means is in future once Cortana knows I like boobs, I'l get better search results about boobs.....I'd say Bonus for me :-)
    You sound just like a good friend of mine. Anything that helps him get better results, he's all in. ;)
    04-02-2014 09:07 PM

Boobs 👍

Sent from my XT1060 using Mobile Nations mobile app
    04-02-2014 09:13 PM
    I've just started watching the presentation held today at build. Joe stated very clearly that the entity that scans your e-mails and tracks your location is YOUR PHONE! The profile that is assembled from your information is then stored in the notebook on... again... YOUR PHONE. At least that is what I've understood from the presentation so far. That seems to respect privacy a lot more than the competition does.

Google Now only seems similar to Cortana if you can't see past the UI. Since with Cortana, most everything seems to stay on YOU PHONE, I don't think MS went too far.
    Last edited by a5cent; 04-02-2014 at 10:56 PM. Reason: Last Scentence
    04-02-2014 09:43 PM
    People give it up, all your info, emails, call logs, text logs, internet activities are all logged. If your that paranoid don't get a smart phone, don't use the internet and pay cash for everything. Its a part of todays life. Me personally I could care less if someone is beating off to my sexting and dirty pictures hahahah tax dollars at work ;-)...... Carrier I.Q. anyone LOL
    04-02-2014 10:24 PM
    People give it up, all your info, emails, call logs, text logs, internet activities are all logged. If your that paranoid don't get a smart phone, don't use the internet and pay cash for everything. Its a part of todays life. Me personally I could care less if someone is beating off to my sexting and dirty pictures hahahah tax dollars at work ;-)...... Carrier I.Q. anyone LOL
    I think you're making just a bit too much of a blanket statement. People who are worried about what governments can access are pretty much out of luck. Anything we send over a public network is open to them. Even if governments don't have the technical means to lift such information directly off the wire, they can employ legal means to force any company to hand out whatever they want to see.

For private companies the story is very different. I don't want private companies with a profit motive collecting any data about me. I think it's safe to assume that companies like Google aren't doing anything illegal, meaning they only have access to the data we hand over to them willingly. The data we willingly hand over to private corporations is something we can control. IMHO giving up on that aspect of privacy would be a terrible idea. There are differences.
    04-02-2014 10:48 PM
    Not sure if serious. I guess he didn't hear about the Cortana notebook. Oh well, no big loss. More Cortana fun for the rest of us!
    A895 likes this.
    04-02-2014 10:51 PM
    I've just started watching the presentation held today at build. Joe stated very clearly that the entity that scans your e-mails and tracks your location is YOUR PHONE! The profile that is assembled from your information is then stored in the notebook on... again... YOUR PHONE. At least that is what I've understood from the presentation so far. That seems to respect privacy a lot more than the competition does. I might change my mind later on, as I'm still learning about Cortana and how it works, but already now we can definitely say that huge differences exist... they only seem to be similar if you can't see past the UI.
    ​The Cortana notebook is stored in the cloud. However you have control over what is stored there.
    04-02-2014 10:52 PM
    ​The Cortana notebook is stored in the cloud. However you have control over what is stored there.
    Okay. So data mining is done on every individual device, while the results are stored in the cloud?

I'm still trying to find more information about how all this is tied together, so far with little luck. For example, is what we see in the notebook exactly what is stored in the cloud, or if it is more representational? Is the notebook a complete representation of what is stored in the cloud, or only partial? Etc etc etc
    04-02-2014 11:05 PM
176 1234 ...