Microsoft has gone too far.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I think the voice assistant will become vital for the disabled.
Things like haptic feedback and voice guidance for vision impaired folks could make life so much easier.

Who knows maybe the voice assistant will help the not so wise make the better choice.

DaT Franchise

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
Lmfao!! OP google, Facebook, apple, your weather app, does the same thing and have been for years, every search engine, your car (if it has nav), every time you use your credit/debt card Don't forget your phones IP address when you turn your smart phone into a flip phone :-o

narv

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I feel like most people don't fully consider their statements before making them. First of all, if you don't want the features, you can turn them off or edit the values in the notebook.. You can probably turn it off too.

But the reminder when you get to a location is awesome... GPS will already know where you are so might as well let Cortana know where you are.. you realize that where you live and work is public data? I could call up your county's department of public records and get your house or apartment, how much you paid, etc.. Whenever you google or bing something, they keep track of it for metrics and data.. so what you look up on the internet is already known. Also you'd be surprised what the government knows about you.... do you own a car? have you driven it through a toll both? if the government wants to know.. they'll know.. every time you make a phone call, your cell company knows and has a record of it... keeping MS from this data really is only detrimental to your experience, you aren't keeping anything secret.

the fact that you are on this website, your IP address has been tracked and saved (via google ads, the website, etc) and can be traced back to your ISP and depending on how you are connecting, back to you..

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
So Microsoft has gone too far by giving people an optional opt-in feature that you don't need to ever use? Ok.....

Last edited:

neonspark

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
They tried to ignore the personal assistant trend often dismissing it just to have to eat their words and be forced to implement one. I don't blame them, users want this sort of stuff even if privacy advocates don't like it. Ultimately their assistant seems rather crippled compared to google now. But I'll be giving it a try for sure when the preview is out. The nice thing about google now is how it predicts your needs before you have them. cortana doesn't do this (or at least they didn't show it). I suspect it isn't a matter of policy, but lack of engineering resources and time from MSFT. if you think it is creepy now, wait until they continue copying google now.

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Cortana reminds me of some scary cyborg from a sci-fi show. It learns what you do, where you go, who you are, who and what you know, something that no piece of technology should ever know about you (No, I do not use Facebook).

I'm going to get my WP 8.1, turn off the location services,turn off all of the Cortana tracking features (Hopefully this can be done), and enjoy 8.1. I hate to disable the best feature WP 8.1 has, but I value my privacy over a nice-looking app that talks.

The last thing I want MS to do is send my location data, people I know, etc to the government...

By the way, thanks for crashing my profits, MS... (Signature). I guess i'll have to work on a Cortana exploit to make up the loss.

You can turn these features off (location tracking, access to email and other personal information).

Doing this, though, will limit Cortana's abilities as a personal assistant. It's a sacrifice for those that are security conscious.

Just remember this (which was touched on during //Build this morning). Cortana gathers personal information (like reading emails to get flight data ) off the DEVICE ONLY. Which means that if you have an email account that is set to manually sync, and you get new mail on the server but do not sync to your device, Cortana will not be able to access this information. It uses location data to personalize herself to you. It sends very little data to anyone without you telling her too. Asking her a question and getting search results is just the same as typing your question in Bing.

My intention was not to badger you about your concerns, you have valid ones and I hope I did not come across that way. What I would do if you are interested in using Cortana, after there is more information available, look into her inner workings and see what, exactly, she does with your information. :) Microsoft is not pulling a "Google" with all your data (unlike Google Now).

SSgt Bruskowiz

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
The OP got a point.
Its quite scary
Its getting to close, way to close.
Last time i was in a convenience store, my phone whent of and i took the call.
It was my wife, i scared ****less, how on earth could she know that i was there ????????
It just makes you wonder.

Cortana, i personel think thats not a good thing.
Its believed to be developed by NSA, so they can make cutbacks on there staff.
A couple of weeks ago i was at a unemployment agency ( the US Department of Labor ).
There i spoke with a former NSA agent.
He was currently unemployed due to budget cuts, the poor basterd was over 40 years old.
One thing for shure, he never find a job again.
He told me that it was all because of Cortana.
If you dont believe me, he gave me a picture from him during a highly classified mission.
Somehow funny, to meet the predecessor of Cortana in the flesh.

But here he is.
The predecessor of Cortana

250.jpg

If the OP is so worried about his privacy, than buy a Nokia 3310.

boovish

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
cortana reminds me of some scary cyborg from a sci-fi show. It learns what you do, where you go, who you are, who and what you know, something that no piece of technology should ever know about you (no, i do not use facebook).

I'm going to get my wp 8.1, turn off the location services,turn off all of the cortana tracking features (hopefully this can be done), and enjoy 8.1. I hate to disable the best feature wp 8.1 has, but i value my privacy over a nice-looking app that talks.

the last thing i want ms to do is send my location data, people i know, etc to the government...

by the way, thanks for crashing my profits, ms... (signature). I guess i'll have to work on a cortana exploit to make up the loss.
oh my god if you don't like it get a freaking dumbphone. You will never have privacy and especially in this day and age

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
The OP got a point.
Its quite scary
Its getting to close, way to close.
Last time i was in a convenience store, my phone whent of and i took the call.
It was my wife, i scared ****less, how on earth could she know that i was there ????????
It just makes you wonder.

Cortana, i personel think thats not a good thing.
Its believed to be developed by NSA, so they can make cutbacks on there staff.
A couple of weeks ago i was at a unemployment agency ( the US Department of Labor ).
There i spoke with a former NSA agent.
He was currently unemployed due to budget cuts, the poor basterd was over 40 years old.
One thing for shure, he never find a job again.
He told me that it was all because of Cortana.
If you dont believe me, he gave me a picture from him during a highly classified mission.
Somehow funny, to meet the predecessor of Cortana in the flesh.

But here he is.
The predecessor of Cortana

View attachment 61245

If the OP is so worried about his privacy, than buy a Nokia 3310.

Lmfao

Sent from my XT1060 using Mobile Nations mobile app

k0de

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Cortana reminds me of some scary cyborg from a sci-fi show. It learns what you do, where you go, who you are, who and what you know, something that no piece of technology should ever know about you (No, I do not use Facebook).

I'm going to get my WP 8.1, turn off the location services,turn off all of the Cortana tracking features (Hopefully this can be done), and enjoy 8.1. I hate to disable the best feature WP 8.1 has, but I value my privacy over a nice-looking app that talks.

The last thing I want MS to do is send my location data, people I know, etc to the government...

By the way, thanks for crashing my profits, MS... (Signature). I guess i'll have to work on a Cortana exploit to make up the loss.

I have nothing to hide it is all fine with me. MSFT is doing just fine.

Why are you so concern about your info? Are you the president of some nation, or involved in a criminal organization, or a terrorist group?

I promise I wont snitch. Lol

rcazador

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site

You don't like it you can turn it off. Stop the misinformation.

SSgt Bruskowiz

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Why are you so concern about your info? Are you the president of some nation, or involved in a criminal organization, or a terrorist group?
Some meetings in a previous assigment i had, cellphones where not allowed.
Violating that rule then there where consequences.

So sometimes i can understand the reasons why.

lancorp

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
I find this post extremely amusing. Cortana can be customized or even turned off I I'm not mistaken. Cortana was made by Microsoft, not Se?or Sellyourdata Googl?. Rest easy guy.

Posted via the WPC App!

Called MS support lately? I did today because there was no way to cancel my 50+ One Drive recurring subscription from my account page.
Interestingly, the recorded message said that if I continue on to speak to a support person, that, basically, I was giving them approval to share my personal information with anyone they wanted to. I was amazed. What other choice did I have?

So, don't be so quick to label Microsoft the anti-Google.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo