The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
04-24-2014 04:37 AM
36 12
tools
    This is something I'm not too fond of but Cortana REQUIRES your location. If you don't have it on it defaults to some "improved form of the old tell me system. I understand location is an integral part of her services but you shouldn't have to have location on! She can be very helpful doing things that don't require location. (that new swipe keyboard is pretty cool!)
    AndrewMBaines and thaman04 like this.
    04-14-2014 08:56 AM
    Yeah I was kinda upset about this. Doesn't keeping location on drain the battery faster? Although I have heard from people that keep it on that it doesn't realty give a hit to the battery..idk :(
    04-14-2014 01:11 PM
    Yeah I was kinda upset about this. Doesn't keeping location on drain the battery faster? Although I have heard from people that keep it on that it doesn't realty give a hit to the battery..idk :(
    Location uses a little more power. I think the only reason they give out those "This app requires Location" warnings is because some people are paranoid that the Government will know where they are. LOL
    04-14-2014 01:57 PM
    I'm hoping after the Beta that location is not required to use Cortana. I understand that Cortana won't be able to do location based search, requests, etc. if location is not on but I think I'd prefer to have a Cortana that doesn't require location while I can still use the other functions and asks to turn on location when needed, rather than a required location based battery drainer Cortana. I'm fine with the government tracking me haha but I want my battery to last!
    04-14-2014 09:05 PM
    It would be cool if you could turn off location, but Cortana would get sassy about it when you asked her something that required location.

User: "Cortana. Remind me to pick up a Type Cover for my Surface when I get to Best Buy."
    Cortana: "I would... but I have no idea where you are. SOMEONE doesn't trust me."
    04-14-2014 09:25 PM
    Location uses a little more power. I think the only reason they give out those "This app requires Location" warnings is because some people are paranoid that the Government will know where they are. LOL
    The NSA loves naive people like you, so do hackers! You sit there texting the red cross to help the so called natural disaster you see on TV not knowing your giving money to the same people who caused the storm! Cortana is cool but i don't need my home, my work, my favorite food places, my route to work, my friends house, my mothers house, my girlfriends house, the train route, my voice, my search history all sitting in the cloud somewhere one SSL slip up away from prying eyes. Especially in the cloud owned by companies that do business with the NSA! I'm not a conspiracy theorist or some hermit creep hiding in the basement with tin foil on my head. I ama a realist with a realistic view of the world today. Cortana has alot of functions that can be used without REQUIRING my location she can do 90% of those Bing search queries without requiring your location.
    04-15-2014 04:06 AM
    The NSA loves naive people like you, so do hackers! You sit there texting the red cross to help the so called natural disaster you see on TV not knowing your giving money to the same people who caused the storm! Cortana is cool but i don't need my home, my work, my favorite food places, my route to work, my friends house, my mothers house, my girlfriends house, the train route, my voice, my search history all sitting in the cloud somewhere one SSL slip up away from prying eyes. Especially in the cloud owned by companies that do business with the NSA! I'm not a conspiracy theorist or some hermit creep hiding in the basement with tin foil on my head. I ama a realist with a realistic view of the world today. Cortana has alot of functions that can be used without REQUIRING my location she can do 90% of those Bing search queries without requiring your location.
    Says he's not a conspiracy nut, claims people can create storms. Lol
    04-15-2014 05:14 AM
    Says he's not a conspiracy nut, claims people can create storms. Lol
    Do some research on the H.A.A.R.P. Project.

The information is out there hiding in plain site!

EDIT: Check for yourself!

EDIT 2: From a more familiar source "This History Channel"
    04-15-2014 08:39 AM
    04-15-2014 04:46 PM
    The History Channel? That's the alien conspiracy channel, right?
    JPDVM2014 and ajj3085 like this.
    04-15-2014 04:53 PM
    Do some research on the H.A.A.R.P. Project.

The information is out there hiding in plain site!

EDIT: Check for yourself!

EDIT 2: From a more familiar source "This History Channel"
    If it's on tv/the internet, it MUST be true!! Lol!
    04-15-2014 05:40 PM
    Ignorance is bliss right?? Until its too late and you're wishing you would've known. In this day and age information and knowledge is where all the power resides. I choose to inform myself then make reasonable decisions based on common sense information. I'm no crackpot by any means just trying to share what I've learned during my short time on this earth, shrugs.. Your loss

Back to the topic: Why does Cortana need my location to set an alarm??, or to set a reminder based on that isn't based on location, why does she need my location to do an internet based search. I really don't understand the REQUIREMENT. I understand it'll help her with geo fencing and understanding our routine so she can better help, but what does she do that REQUIRES her to have your location all the time?
    Gor Badoyan likes this.
    04-15-2014 06:39 PM
    it would be cool if you could turn off location, but cortana would get sassy about it when you asked her something that required location.

User: "cortana. Remind me to pick up a type cover for my surface when i get to best buy."
    cortana: "i would... But i have no idea where you are. someone doesn't trust me."
    lol
    04-15-2014 07:01 PM
    Oh you're good there cause it is not sitting on the cloud..only in your phone
    04-15-2014 07:04 PM
    Oh you're good there cause it is not sitting on the cloud..only in your phone
    This isn't entirely true. Go to Bing.com sign in, go to settings, then check personalize, it will then tell you 3 or 4 different times that your data is being uploaded to the cloud!
    04-16-2014 12:10 AM
    Those of you who hate the location services because of the government or battery related issues make me laugh. The government doesn't care about you, you aren't that important, and location services barely uses extra battery
    Gor Badoyan likes this.
    04-16-2014 12:15 AM
    Ignorance is bliss right?? Until its too late and you're wishing you would've known. In this day and age information and knowledge is where all the power resides. I choose to inform myself then make reasonable decisions based on common sense information. I'm no crackpot by any means just trying to share what I've learned during my short time on this earth, shrugs.. Your loss
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...unjustifiable/
    04-16-2014 12:29 AM
    This isn't entirely true. Go to Bing.com sign in, go to settings, then check personalize, it will then tell you 3 or 4 different times that your data is being uploaded to the cloud!
    ok. I went to bing.com>signed in>settings>there, I can't see personalize.I see this> GENERAL,WEB,NEWS and WORLDWIDE. And I see HISTORY which is the web history from computer and/or the phone.
    the only thing personal is my location which I put there when I set up the computer and/or the weather app on the computer.
    There is nothing of any info I put in the phone ( Cortana's note book ) that are showing.
    04-16-2014 01:16 AM
    Omg the Washington post released an article so it MUST be true... Wpcentral Isn't the place to have this conversation. I'm more concerned with Cortana. I get it, I was wrong, you guys are right. I'm a conspiracy nut, with tin foil on my head.. I still don't understand why Cortana NEEDS my location to set an alarm for me, or why it needs my location to set a generic reminder, or do a basic internet search. Does anybody know why my location I so important to Cortana basic existence?
    04-16-2014 01:23 AM
    I think she flies in the sky, so when she needs to remind you or wake you up, she knows where you are. Internet search, so she can whisper it to your phone
    TheBadGuy_88 likes this.
    04-16-2014 01:27 AM
    That makes all the sense!! Thanks for the clarification! I'm turning my location on RIGHT NOW!
    04-16-2014 01:55 AM
    It needs to know your location to give you right time, local places, distance from one place to another, and other things that need to know your location. I don't commit crime, so I don't care what the government knows about me. They probably know everything about me already lol
    04-16-2014 02:07 AM
    I also don't like it ... battery life sucks already.
    Stephen Pedersen likes this.
    04-17-2014 07:56 AM
    I really hope they change this. too much of a battery hog.

reminders don't even work if you have location off. really stupid imo
    Last edited by ttsoldier; 04-17-2014 at 08:33 AM.
    04-17-2014 08:08 AM
    Yes, it is particularly stupid that time-based reminders disappear from your calendar and will not trigger if locations services are off. Conclusion: for now, I will refrain to use them at all. They are anyway redundant with tasks and appointments, with the additional disadvantage that they appear only on your phone.
    Another stupidity is that quiet hours is managed by Cortana. No idea why! Does it require a clould-based AI to silence your phone from 23:00 to 7:00 ??? But again, turn off your location services and quiet hours are gone!
    I do have the habit of switching off services like wifi, bluetooth and location when I do not need them in order to save battery. So, this is a HUGE disappointment. I am on the verge of turning off Cortana permanently.
    Anyway, as for now, Cortana is pretty useless in Belgium because Bing is total crap. Bing map has zero local search hability here. Even if a shop name appears on the map, a search for this name will return zero results....
    04-19-2014 05:17 AM
36 12