Dell Venue 8 Pro turn on problem after bios updating to a08

Ronak Vithlani

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
After updating bios to a08 dvp8 turns on after 6 to 7 second pressing of power button, is it default setting by a08 or it is just me
Also it feels like WiFi became slow after update
Does anyone have same problem??????
Sorry for my bad English...

JeffLeites

Jun 22, 2014
Visit site
I noticed that turning it on went from a click and release of the power button under A05 to a count of 3 under A08.
There are posts on the Dell forum where one guy said 4 seconds, and another said 2.
The manual says to hold it for 2 seconds.
Maybe yours will come on if you release the button between 2 and 4 seconds instead of 6 or 7. If it does, I don't know if we can complain since the manual says 2 seconds.

bigeduck

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
Well, I've only noticed this once, but my issue isn't with the time to hold the button, its that it looks like its starting up for the first time, not the insta-on screen lock that normally pops up. Not sure if this is extended hibernate or some new power management but it seems odd.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
After updating bios to a08 dvp8 turns on after 6 to 7 second pressing of power button, is it default setting by a08 or it is just me
Also it feels like WiFi became slow after update
Does anyone have same problem??????
Sorry for my bad English...

Yer english is fine good friend...

Just bought a Venue Pro 8 and did the A08 bios update.
Scared me at first because the tab didn't boot!
Had to hold the button to force it down then it booted in (whew)

I think pressing the button for a couple of seconds brings it right up.
Must say this thing shuts down like right now almost instant off.
I like that...

omgitsnick

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Somehow I dislike how the power button has to be held down for a few seconds for it to turn on, but at the same time I feel ok about it because it prevents the tablet from turning on when pressed accidentally.

Insti Gator

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
I can't understand what the problem is for a couple second hold to boot. Literally every computer, tech toy I have requires a couple/few second hold to shut down or boot. Its how they separate a short press from a long press. Short presses initiate instant on functions in tablets and phones where if the device is on it will be woken up or put to sleep with one quick press. Long presses are required on virtually every pho e and tablet to have them shut down and boot. Where is the problem here?

I did a08 update and so far so good! Only weird thing I've found is sometimes a short press instant on, the screen will flash at maximum brightness then quickly reduce to the brightness I had it set to, whatev!

Sent from my RM-915_nam_usa_228 using Tapatalk

jgusm

Jul 3, 2014
Visit site
After updating to a08:
a. I am still getting the touch repeat problem
b. Similar experience on longer boot time to the main poster here - need to press the power key for 5 seconds too before the Dell flash screen will come up. Was 2-3 seconds before under a05...

Really don't know what the a08 improved on
Still hot to touch when charging

Maybe Dell can provide us with an answer here and release a fix soon....

JeffLeites

Jun 22, 2014
Visit site
I've noticed that it takes about 5 seconds before the Dell screen appears, but the power button only needs to be pressed fro 2 - 3 seconds. The screen will remain dark for a few seconds more, but then the Dell screen appears.

jgusm

Jul 3, 2014
Visit site
Mine was originally 2-3 seconds hold on the power key.
But after a08, I had to press the power key for at least 5 seconds.
If I were to release the power key in 4 seconds or less, the tablet will not start up.
Maybe Dell can release an fix to allow users to input their preferred power key hold time.

JeffLeites

Jun 22, 2014
Visit site
Mine was originally 2-3 seconds hold on the power key.
But after a08, I had to press the power key for at least 5 seconds.
If I were to release the power key in 4 seconds or less, the tablet will not start up.
Maybe Dell can release an fix to allow users to input their preferred power key hold time.

Maybe you're counting too fast ;-)
I'm pretty sure that under A05, it powered up with a push and release, then went to 2 or 3 seconds under A08. The manual says 2 seconds, so I can't complain.

jeffshead

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
I have the same issue. I used to be able to push and release the power button to turn the unit on. Now, I have to hold the power button in for at least 3-4 seconds. Didn't know what caused this till I found this thread. I thought the tablet was suffering from another Dell Support Technician screw up. They should post a note on the update download page that the power button will function differently after updating the bios.

Dell Consumer Support SUCKS. I should have known better than to let the non-English speaking, incompetent tech work on my tablet. He had me perform actions that I knew were not going to fix the issue I called about. At one point, the tablet became "bricked" after he did his BS and then he wanted me to send it to the depot for repair. Thanks @sshole for screwing up my tablet. It was working fine before he got his hands on it with the exception of the Bluetooth keyboard constantly loosing connection. I managed to get it up and running without his help. I finally put him on hold while I googled and found a way to get it up and running and then I found the simple solution that solved the keyboard issue.

I want to file a complaint but it will probably be a waste of time since Dell already knows the overseas support staff is subpar. Does anyone know what's the best way to file a complaint so it will not fall on deaf ears? The only complaint form I could find was on the Ireland site. Is Business Support still in the States? They were decent to work with. At least they were, years ago, when I had some business equipment under contract.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes