Why does Edge suck so bad

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
It's become unusable, and this sucks.
Freezes, some web pages don't work like ctuit (I use this for work). Up until about 6 months ago I used edge 100% of the time. Today is my first day using Chrome 100% of the time. And it just works. This sucks as I use edge on my note 8 and iPhone 7 plus.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
There are some sites that don’t work, but they are rare. There is an Open in Internet Explorer option I find useful in those cases.

i believe graphics drivers have to be stable for Edge to work well so check you have the latest drivers there.

netmann

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Been using all of the major browsers (Chrome, Edge, Firefox, IE, Safari & Opera) for different tasks for a while now....

DubDublin

Oct 10, 2015
Visit site
Edge is a good browser, but not yet good enough or different enough to offer a compelling reason to switch.

If Edge wants to grab an extra million or so *dedicated* users overnight, all the dev team has to do is reach out to the developer of the TabMixPlus extension that ran on Firefox prior to their shift to the execrable "Quantum" (FF58). Then update the Edge APIs to enable a TMP-like capability ASAP. This would likely take some significant work to the Edge extension APIs, but supporting these kinds of things (multiple tab rows, bulletproof session management, switchable contextual tab groups (work, project, personal, etc.)) is what's really needed in whatever is going to become BrowserNG. PWAs will only *increase* the need for these sorts of browser capabilities!

terrokkinit

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
Edge has seen its issues with freezing and closing throughout Windows 10's lifecycle. However, it has been, and always will be, my go-to browser for the system because it is nowhere near as resource-intensive as Firefox or Chrome.

Chrome constantly closes after having tabs open, due to all of the extensions it loads upon start-up. Edge's extensions, by contrast, are lighter and easier to use. Edge is my go-to, and it will only get more stable as more builds come up.

Plus: It doesn't steal and sell your information like Google does ;)

toph36

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I try to use Edge mostly at work. However, it does freeze on me often. There is one Internet based application that I use that requires IE still. Also, I recently started using LastPass. While Edge has extensions, you have to install it from the Store, which is blocked at work. So use Chrome for LastPass and the sites I have setup there.

Ronald Conkle

Jan 5, 2018
Visit site
For the typical daily Windows-10 Home user Edge is the go-to-browser . . . for those whom use Windows-10 in their job task again Edge is the go-to-browser. My daily work is in Active Directory . . . and in that environment (as a developer) Edge/IE is the corporate go-to-browser . . . Chrome is allowed only for those you want to test with it after he/she as submitted a security plan for its use. Sensationalized topics often generate . . . well a response.

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
It's not that Edge sucks, it doesn't. It's that Chrome is the new IE6 with it's own idiosyncrasies that web devs target as features.

We just had a full day demo of an enterprise HR/Payroll/Info portal and it worked flawlessly in Edge.

JOL1985

Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
Just saw this on the main page and had to add my views. In the past fortnight I've changed my default browser to chrome for the first time on my Surface Pro 4. I'd always used Edge, however, it's gotten to the point where I am always 'waiting for response' and everything was too slow for a quick new tab and search.

BajanSaint69

Jun 30, 2017
Visit site
Truthfully I'm fairly browser agnostic. I don't really see much difference. I started using Edge with my Windows 10 upgrade, does most of what I ask of it. Occasionally I will run into a Chrome only site for which I keep Chrome installed on my machine, but to me browsers are not really that big a deal. If it works reasonably well I'll keep it. Which Edge has so far.

So I wouldn't go so far as to say "I'm happy with Edge" it's more like "I'm not unhappy".

JBillow

Mar 7, 2018
Visit site
I've had it freeze a little but overall it seems fine. Main issue is the bookmark manager is not great so I use Bookmark OS

Wan Firas

May 17, 2015
Visit site
For browsing tablet-style, Edge feels friendlier to me eg: Nicely sized icons for touch, tabs with thumbnails and my favorite, full screen mode for reading articles (with easy access to exit from full screen mode). Chrome is for anything related to google accounts. Sadly, at work we use Google products a lot. Gmail, Suite, Drive, Keep & ultimately Google Search (Bing localization doesn't perform well outside US though I'm still using it for non-local searches).

Cbarnhorst

Feb 27, 2018
Visit site
I use Edge all the time. I like it in spite of some headaches right now on the Microsoft Answers pages. I haven't bothered to try other browsers except for two specialized sites that pretty much mandate it. Even Chrome doesn't work well on one of those so I use a specialized Mozilla browser. For a few sites on which I prefer anonymity I use Tor.

meattray

Surface Pro 4 Champion
Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
I personally like edge. it seems fast, responsive. Yes, some sites don't seem to be optimized for it or work well but isnt a huge annoyance in my day.

real0395

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm mainly browser agnostic, but I go between Chrome and Edge. The only issue I have with Edge is that it doesn't have Xmarks, otherwise I'd probably use it 100% of the time. At work we are in process of upgrading to windows 10 so am using Chrome at work still.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3