Whats the story on backward compatibility?

pkcable

VR Expert
Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
Folks,

Ok so what games will work on the XBox One X? How backwardly compatible is it? Obviously Xbox One games will work on it. (or will they?) But what else? Will any other XBox edition games work on it?

buzzard75

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
re:

My understanding is you will be able to play original Xbox games on Xbox One X using the original discs. I would imagine it will be a slow roll out of compatibility similar to the Xbox 360 backward compatibility. There hasn't been any word on which games, if any, will be supported at launch.

As for Xbox One games, all games will be compatible. There is no difference in the games themselves. Some will just have patches that optimize them for use on Xbox One X.

pkcable

VR Expert
Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
re:

My understanding is you will be able to play original Xbox games on Xbox One X using the original discs. I would imagine it will be a slow roll out of compatibility similar to the Xbox 360 backward compatibility. There hasn't been any word on which games, if any, will be supported at launch.

As for Xbox One games, all games will be compatible. There is no difference in the games themselves. Some will just have patches that optimize them for use on Xbox One X.

Did we find out if this is the correct answer? Or should I ask my 14 year old nephew. He knows everything about just about ANY console! lol

greedo_greedy

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
re:

The info is correct, but to answer your question more specifically, may we know what exactly you're trying to find out?

The Xbox One X is great in that it is a backwards compatible console as well as a forward compatible console.
This means games in the Xbox eco system, games are not locked to specific console generations.
You can play a ton of Xbox 360 games on the Xbox One X and you can also play a handful of classic Xbox games (circa 2001) on the Xbox One X.

More games are being made backward compatible every month.
HTH

pkcable

VR Expert
Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
re:

The info is correct, but to answer your question more specifically, may we know what exactly you're trying to find out?

The Xbox One X is great in that it is a backwards compatible console as well as a forward compatible console.
This means games in the Xbox eco system, games are not locked to specific console generations.
You can play a ton of Xbox 360 games on the Xbox One X and you can also play a handful of classic Xbox games (circa 2001) on the Xbox One X.

More games are being made backward compatible every month.
HTH

Mostly I'm interested in knowing if my OG (original) Xbox games will work with it.

Richard Loveridge

May 26, 2015
Visit site
All Xbox 360 compatible games that work on normal Xbox one will work on X. Abd the same for Xbox 2001 original back comp at games.

MS strategy is all future consoles will be forward and backward compatible. Meaning when the new PS5 comes out and the new Xbox in 2020/21 the One X will be around $250 and still play all new games till 2023/24 when the next Xbox releases. Meaning consumers don't have to pay $450 for a new Ps5 or Xbox One X 2.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes