Microsoft Branding

Ayush_WP

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
I know Microsoft can really screw things up while branding. But you have to give it to them for some really good brand names.

I LOVE the name surface. They did mess it with RT and other add one. But i love how cool "surface" is. So simple and ordinary.

Just a general shoutout to how they CAN sometimes come up with good branding.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
every company can have a hit, and also misses. :)

I also think the Surface Name is a great name. I though Zune was a great name for the Music side of things. I hate the name Xbox Music, they should have kept it as Zune.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
every company can have a hit, and also misses. :)

I also think the Surface Name is a great name. I though Zune was a great name for the Music side of things. I hate the name Xbox Music, they should have kept it as Zune.
I do like the idea of unifying things under the Xbox name. Everyone knows what Xbox is, even if he/she isn't a gamer. Many people had no clue what a Zune was; I've never seen a Zune in the wild, since nobody I know owned one.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I do like the idea of unifying things under the Xbox name. Everyone knows what Xbox is, even if he/she isn't a gamer. Many people had no clue what a Zune was; I've never seen a Zune in the wild, since nobody I know owned one.

I do agree with this, but Music isn't gaming is why I liked the different name for Zune.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I do agree with this, but Music isn't gaming is why I liked the different name for Zune.

I think it goes with the new strategy of Xbox being a multimedia entertainment device, not just a gaming device. I know someone who has no interest in gaming but is getting an Xbox One for watching TV/movies.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
I know Microsoft can really screw things up while branding. But you have to give it to them for some really good brand names.

I LOVE the name surface. They did mess it with RT and other add one. But i love how cool "surface" is. So simple and ordinary.

Just a general shoutout to how they CAN sometimes come up with good branding.
I disliked the fact that Microsoft re-used the name. "Surface" was the project name for their prototype touch tables. (yes, tables not tablets) I thought that the name "Zune", the Zune logo, and the color and font styling were excellent. I've owned every generation of Zune player and continue to use my Zune HD daily.

I had hoped that they would've resurrected the name Zune for these tablets. I know that there's a bit of a stigma there, but this Surface RT in my hands will always be the "Zune tablet that never was" in my mind. :)

George Anglin

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
RIP ZUNE . I always hated that everyone always gave **** to the name but yes surface is a good product name. Im kind of sad that they will probably be removing nokia lumia name from that company since they bought it (or at least thats what i read somewhere) nokia is such an old name and the lumia is such a good name for the phones since their greatest strength is in taking photos and making them luminous =p

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Zune was amazing and the Zune PC music software is still great even as MS keeps removing features, one after another. I'm hoping Xbox music will be as good, someday.

ni28

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I think the problem is, it can be a bit confusing and misleading at times. But it follows suit with their naming structure, keep it the same for the same body of products, only add stuff when its different (hence RT and Pro). Just remember, its the community that decides on the nicknames for the products, just look at the Xbone! Xbone | Kotaku Australia haha!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes