Win10 Clean Install (also delete partitions)

holzlondon

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi, I've just bought a new PC and want to sell my old laptop (Dell XPS12 convertible - last generation)

Though it's 3 years old, it's still a really powerful device, especially since it was the top-spec version. So I think I should be able to get a decent few ?$?? for it.

Of course though, I want to do a clean install before I sell it to anyone, and I mean a proper clean install.

• no data left
  • no "Windows.old" folder
  • no recovery partitions (for Windows 8, which it originally delivered with)

Can anyone point me to a tutorial, guide or instructions on how to do something like this?

Thanks in advance!

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Moved to appropriate area...

Windows 10 How-To Guides is for write ups of prepackaged solutions... Not for leading questions on issues not yet resolved.

1. Download SystemRescueCD (this is a "live" Linux distro that boots from media and requires no install): SystemRescueCd
  2. Burn the SytemRescueCD ISO to disc or prepare a USB stick. I prefer a disc. YMMV (See: http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-10-how-guides/410909-burn-iso-natively-windows-10-a.html)
  3. If you have not already, use the media creation tool to create an installable Windows 10 image. Again, I prefer disc. (https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...Fsoftware-download%2Fwindows10&token=_B2SyBHf)
  4. Enter UEFI or BIOS and make sure your boot priority will use the media type you have prepped for SystemRescueCD and Windows 10 as a first priority. (See your OEM support pages if you need help for this)
  5. I assume you have a cloud based authorization for 10 already in place for this machine? Good. If not install 10 and for these purposes just sign in locally as Admin during setup.
  6. Put SystemRescueCD into the drive (disc) or port (USB) and reboot your laptop. Follow the prompts to boot into SystemRescueCD. Use the GParted Utility to format and merge all your existing partitions. NTFS is the recommended format.
  7. Remove the SystemRescueCD media and insert the Windows 10 Install media. Reboot from within SystemRescueCD by opening a Terminal window and typing (no quotes) "reboot" and pressing enter.
  8. This will reboot and you simply follow the prompts to install 10 from your prepared media. Leave it at the first Setup Screen for the next user to start from scratch. Remove the media. Shut Down.
  9. Be a sport and include the SystemRescueCD and Windows 10 media in the sale.
  10. Sell your "clean machine." Profit.

holzlondon

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Thank your RumoredNow for this quite detailed explanation. I look forward to refreshing the old Dell and hopefully getting paid :D

RyanCreek

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
Just refresh Windows and your files will be there. You need to reset Windows (performing a factory reset) that will erase all things on your computer.

RyanCreek

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
No, reset the PC will erase all files but not change the partition layout. For safety, it's better to re-partition the hard drive.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bentecdigital