Sprint WP7 Love?

astraith

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
I like Windows Phone 7, and if WebOS does not come to Sprint I will probably make the move to Windows! But I can't upgrade to Arrive, it is not that powerful and not a big screen (I would want a bigger screen!) and I just don't like the styling too much. Question is, do you know when other Windows phones coming to Sprint, and what kind of power are the next round of devices going to be launched with? Any dual core phones on the way?

And when are the Nokia devices suppose to launch, next year right?

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
You will have to wait till the fall for any other Sprint WP7 devices and probably 2012 for a Sprint Nokia device. And an even longer wait for dual core. But here is the thing. Its not all about horsepower. Torque is import as well. Watch the comparison videos and learn. Specs are just words. Performance is what matters.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

astraith

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
You will have to wait till the fall for any other Sprint WP7 devices and probably 2012 for a Sprint Nokia device. And an even longer wait for dual core. But here is the thing. Its not all about horsepower. Torque is import as well. Watch the comparison videos and learn. Specs are just words. Performance is what matters.

I do understand specs are just words and that a 1GHZ processor is a powerful processor. However, from what I can tell the HTC Arrive has the same specs as the HD7, which means it is last years specs. There are newer Snapdragon processors with more torque. And I am not to thrilled with the general looks of the Arrive. Oh well ... hopefully we at least have a date by this Summer.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Understood. But the battery specs are still last years as well for every device. Until that changes, more horsepower will simply burn more gas. I prefer balance over more power simply for the sake of more power. But hey, we all have different opinions and views, and that's good.

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I hate how Android has soo many people thinking that more GHz and cores are the only thing that makes performance better, for that sh!tty unoptimized OS yes more cores are necessary to mask the horrible lag that'll always exist with non hardware accelerated OSs. Since WP7 already runs as fast and smooth as Android never will; Microsoft isn't worried about bleeding edge high hardware specs. To be honest, Microsoft probably won't care about dual-cores until the next major update which given the scale of features already being added with Mango that probably won't be until late 2012. Although I do like to buy top end devices, I don't care that those top end devices aren't considered top end on Android because it FEELS like it's running faster.

foosball

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
The sooner we get away from the Android model/mentality the better. Raw specs are overrated when jumping between OS's.

For the purposes of Android users- WP7 devices run on quad-core bleeding edge 3 GHz processors.

Adiliyo

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
exactly, unified specs across a mobile platform are far easier for people to optimize for than a multitude of very powerful, and also very weak phones.

i'll take mainstream power over fragmented hardware that isn't even being used anyday.

as for more sprint love, quiet you, some of us on other networks *cough verizon *cough are still waiting for anything to be released. ;)

it does seem like the next gen devices which use the newer qualcomm chips won't be out until holiday time this year.

that being said, playing with my friend's focus, that "weak" soc blew all of the my android devices (droid x, droid inc, fascinate), and my iphone4 out of the water in terms of performance and fluidity.

Dusteater

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
I am on Sprint and not feeling too good about the future. Arrive won't work for me since it has no global roaming, but it seems that Sprint is going all in Android. They simply don't care about anything else. It's a shame too since their plans are so good. I will probably be switching to AT&T when the next wave of Windows Phones come out. It's sad that the platform has been out for over 6 months and I still can't get one.

EDIT: Oh, and the new fall wave of phones will have slightly more powerful processors.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Last edited:

Dusteater

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I have never had an HTC phone, but they haven't impressed me with any of their offerings. I will wait until 2012 for Nokia.

astraith

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Understood. But the battery specs are still last years as well for every device. Until that changes, more horsepower will simply burn more gas. I prefer balance over more power simply for the sake of more power. But hey, we all have different opinions and views, and that's good.

That is true, truth be told. But the processor I am specifically talking about is the 1.4GHZ processor hats going to be in the Pre 3, and is designed with power in take in mind.

I hate how Android has soo many people thinking that more GHz and cores are the only thing that makes performance better, for that sh!tty unoptimized OS yes more cores are necessary to mask the horrible lag that'll always exist with non hardware accelerated OSs. Since WP7 already runs as fast and smooth as Android never will; Microsoft isn't worried about bleeding edge high hardware specs. To be honest, Microsoft probably won't care about dual-cores until the next major update which given the scale of features already being added with Mango that probably won't be until late 2012. Although I do like to buy top end devices, I don't care that those top end devices aren't considered top end on Android because it FEELS like it's running faster.

You are right that Android needs a lot of resources to run smoothly. However, it really depends on the overlay that the company puts on it (TouchWiz is especially bad). The Epic 4G benchmark is lower then it should be not because of the processor but because it just takes more resources to run (you wont notice it in every day use). WebOS and Windows Phone 7 is by far the most efficient mobile OS's.

exactly, unified specs across a mobile platform are far easier for people to optimize for than a multitude of very powerful, and also very weak phones.

i'll take mainstream power over fragmented hardware that isn't even being used anyday.

as for more sprint love, quiet you, some of us on other networks *cough verizon *cough are still waiting for anything to be released. ;)

it does seem like the next gen devices which use the newer qualcomm chips won't be out until holiday time this year.

that being said, playing with my friend's focus, that "weak" soc blew all of the my android devices (droid x, droid inc, fascinate), and my iphone4 out of the water in terms of performance and fluidity.

Unified specs are good for developers too. However, I just can't justify getting a phone on a two year contract when I can upgrade again it will be three years old. I sadly can't upgrade every year (if I could, I would get the Arrive and get the Nokia phones next year) but hopefully we will know dates at least by my upgrade comes along!

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Unified specs are good for developers too. However, I just can't justify getting a phone on a two year contract when I can upgrade again it will be three years old. I sadly can't upgrade every year (if I could, I would get the Arrive and get the Nokia phones next year) but hopefully we will know dates at least by my upgrade comes along!

But that's the beauty of it, even if the specs are old they won't matter! The phone will feel like it's new. Now, don't get me wrong, newer hardware FEATURES I can understand, but those aren't and shouldn't be confused with hardware SPECS. So long as the specs remain what Microsoft required them to be the phones should be just fine. and the recent hardware specs didn't change much because they aren't going to change much every future update of WP7 will be able to run on the launch devices or else there would be platform fragmentation which is what Microsoft is trying really hard NOT to do. maybe three or four years down the line they might release the "next" windows phone platform (WP8?) with then current hardware specs and some perhaps radical changes to the OS because, to be quite honest; after Mango, Microsoft won't need much to update anymore to fully achieve feature parity with the competition. I'd say if they rollout another update on the scale of Mango by mid to late 2012, WP7 will PROBABLY have passed it's competition in terms of features because really look at the scale of stuff being added in Mango, it's pretty amazing.

patricksmangan

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
If i decide to go with windows phone, im gna move to a different carrier after my sprint contract if they dont put out a slab wp7 phone. Im done with sliders.

astraith

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
But that's the beauty of it, even if the specs are old they won't matter! The phone will feel like it's new. Now, don't get me wrong, newer hardware FEATURES I can understand, but those aren't and shouldn't be confused with hardware SPECS. So long as the specs remain what Microsoft required them to be the phones should be just fine. and the recent hardware specs didn't change much because they aren't going to change much every future update of WP7 will be able to run on the launch devices or else there would be platform fragmentation which is what Microsoft is trying really hard NOT to do. maybe three or four years down the line they might release the "next" windows phone platform (WP8?) with then current hardware specs and some perhaps radical changes to the OS because, to be quite honest; after Mango, Microsoft won't need much to update anymore to fully achieve feature parity with the competition. I'd say if they rollout another update on the scale of Mango by mid to late 2012, WP7 will PROBABLY have passed it's competition in terms of features because really look at the scale of stuff being added in Mango, it's pretty amazing.

I agree that the new update is/will be amazing from what little I have heard, however you have to understand. I am someone who always wants the latest in tech, and no it isn't because of Android -- it's just who I am. And I know that even if the HTC Arrive came along with the "latest and greatest" in a few months, it no longer will be. Thats why when I make an investment into a computer and/or phone, I always get the best I can afford. And this time around, I can afford a great smartphone. I make no mistake I am an HP ******, WebOS is a great OS. So is Windows Phone 7 (I believe it to be better then Android because it's more consitant). But when I buy my next phone, I will not get "last years" tech (it's why I don't like the Google Nexus S -- it is last years tech). I don't mind if it is a single or dual core, as long as it has more resources and has been updated.

Gatta go back to work now! Will continue discussion later :D!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon