is the touchscreen going to get better on WP8 phones?

dookie dave

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
im pretty sure at least a couple of people have wished that the windows phone touchscreen was a bit less sensative at times, and a bit more sensative at other times.

So lets be honest, the Iphone has the best touchscreen of any smartphone, it has just the perfect amount of responsiveness from touch, scrolling, and knows then your doing one or the other.
before the bad comments start, i am pretty sure the reason of why the iphone was so successful, no one was pissed off all the time because of touchscreen not responding perfectly. it was like a phone that has had 5 generations of touchscreens behind it to improve on.

one of the biggest factors from switching operating systems or companies on phones is the touchscreen.

WP8 phones do have decent touchscreens, but im going to be honest, they dont seem as fluid and perfect as the Iphone. for example, when i scroll on my home screen with 1 hand, then slid my thumb to the applications list, it takes me 2 or 3 tries to slide my way to the apps
first time usually bounces up, second time sometimes opened an app on the list, the third time usually is the charm. YOU CAN SEE THIS IN REVIEWS!
2 handed where you use your right index finger and hold the phone with left hand, the thumb much worse to use, one handed, in comparison to the index finger 2 handed.
is this going to change? are they going to make the perfectly responsive touchscreen that would make a windows phone a must have?
one that wouldn't get piss me off because it opens an app sometimes instead of scrolling down or to the apps list?
can they fix scrolling with software updates or will they have to release new hardware ?

funny thing is that i almost never hear people admitting to iphones really friendly usability. everyone says things like, lumia 920 has better camera bigger screen all that crap thats advertised, but they cant say that the touchscreen is as good as an iphone 5... i beleive thats one of the biggest upsides to the iphone and why a lot of people would rather stay with their iphone instead of getting a new android or WP.

in my opinion, the smoothest touchscreens in order

1. Iphone
2. WP phone
3. Android.
apples touchscreen... its like having a good router or modem, you use it and forget its there... ... just like the macbook touchpad, which is stilll unbeaten by ANY laptop out there... kinda lame to be honest.
WP touchscreens are better that android, they don't lag...
I want the WP8 operating system,
if touchscreen was completely flawless as apples, i would get it in a heartbeat...
but thats not the case... trying out a WP8 phones at ATT left me irritated because of things that should be flawless like switching from home screen to the apps list was not as smooth as i would have wanted it to be. as mentioned above, sometimes when i scroll my thumb to the side it opened an app or just bumped the screen up.

IM NOT AN APPLE ******, ALL I HAVE IS THE IPHONE 3.
THE ONE THING THAT KEEPS ME WANTING TO GET AN IPHONE 5 INSTEAD OF A WINDOWS PHONE IS THE TOUCHSCREEN!

just irritated because i WANT a Windows phone but i feel as if i am downgrading from the iphone 3 in terms of touchscreen.
funny thing is, android has had about 6 years to improve and yet when i use tried the htc one x or samsung galaxy s3, i felt lag when scrolling at times...

ONE THING IM HOPING IS THAT THE MICROSOFT'S RUMORED WINDOWS PHONE PERFECTS THE TOUCHSCREEN SO I CAN FINALLY GET A WINDOWS PHONE.

Last edited:

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Being honest, I really don't think the iPhone has the best touchscreen. I have never experienced the issues you have raised, even on 7.5 devices. Maybe you're just still adjusting to how the two differ in their responsiveness (obviously favouring what you're used to)?

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I find the iPhone screen to be AWFUL for touchscreen typing. The WP7 keyboard was the first onscreen keyboard I could use without just typing a bunch of jibberish.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
I never had any issues with the iPhone touch screen except for it being to small I can hit what I need because of the size. I don't have any issues with my Windows Phones ether and the screens are larger so that's not an issues. As to the touch being better or worse on one or the other that's pure speculation on your part. You seam to speculate a lot.

iPwnza

Banned
Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Some of this is up to the app dev. I think you can control the speed of scroll Ing on listboxes and such in the SDK.

jhguth

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I haven't noticed any problems on my 8X, although the WP8 keyboard is not nearly as good as the WP7 keyboard and I suspect it's due to the increased PPI

snakebitten

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
No complaints for iPhone. Used since 3g until a month ago. (not sure how many years that was)

But no complaints with Lumia either. But it took a couple of days to "learn" technique.

Will say this though, placing cursor on iPhone text box was much much nicer. On Lumia, I struggle getting precise control sometimes.

Love this 920. An amazing device.

philxor

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm coming from an iPhone 4 to the 8X. I'm not sure how you can say the touch screen is better on the iPhone. I have never had an issue with missing something or accidentally opening an app. I find it easier to select words on the 8X but it has a larger screen. maybe I have a light touch but I found the iPhone was not always sensitive enough, but it was not really an issue at all. I have been using mac laptops for the last 8 years and will agree the touch pads are the best.

dookie dave

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm coming from an iPhone 4 to the 8X. I'm not sure how you can say the touch screen is better on the iPhone. I have never had an issue with missing something or accidentally opening an app. I find it easier to select words on the 8X but it has a larger screen. maybe I have a light touch but I found the iPhone was not always sensitive enough, but it was not really an issue at all. I have been using mac laptops for the last 8 years and will agree the touch pads are the best.
HTC Windows Phone 8X Hands on Review - Engadget - YouTube

go to 13:10

when he sais "thats not what i wanted", thats what im talking about, that is the annoying part of it... it shouldn't be like that... completely killed my desire to get this phone

Last edited:

dookie dave

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
happened to me in store multiple times. holding the phone with 1 hand, using my thumb while scrolling isnt as fast as using my right hand index finger, while holding my phone with the left.
therefor creating a massive **** storm of apps opening when you didnt want it to... and having to swipe to get to the apps list 2 or 3 times...

when i scroll up/down on my iphone it doesnt move from side to side, doesnt let me, as soon as i take my finger off, and then scroll to the side, it does it so seamlessly, that should be integrated into windows phone...

i should be able to scroll down on my home screen as fast as i want, and when i take my thumb off to swipe to the apps, it should do it in the first try.
and to everyone else talking about the texting and keyboards, your way off topic, im talking about the scrolling and fluidity of where it scrolls just the perfect amount, moves to the side when you want it, on the first try...
the keyboard and other things are really nice... the scrolling of home screen to apps list and back isnt...

JoeDizzle33

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I had an iPhone 4 and then switched to Lumia 900 and now I am using the 920. I have never had the problem you are describing. In fact with my somewhat large hands I had more problems doing that with my iPhone than Lumia phones. I would say that any problems from the touch screen are more of a user error than touch screen defect.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
No complaints for iPhone. Used since 3g until a month ago. (not sure how many years that was)

But no complaints with Lumia either. But it took a couple of days to "learn" technique.

Will say this though, placing cursor on iPhone text box was much much nicer. On Lumia, I struggle getting precise control sometimes.

Love this 920. An amazing device.

This.

My only criticism is placing the cursor. It can be tricky at times as there doesn't seem to be a common language between scrolling up 'n down and moving the cursor. . . it seems to get confused as to what you're trying to do, if that makes any sense. . .

Lumis90

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I have used both iPhone and HTC 8x and I can't say HTC's touchscreen is bad. It's like other touchscreens, it works very good.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
This.

My only criticism is placing the cursor. It can be tricky at times as there doesn't seem to be a common language between scrolling up 'n down and moving the cursor. . . it seems to get confused as to what you're trying to do, if that makes any sense. . .

I got the cursor placement part down, but how do you select like a whole line? :/

dm984

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
hold down on a word and it'll highlight the word. On either side of the word will be a vertical line with a ball on the bottom, drag the ball in the direction you want to highlight and you'll be good to go.

Gamely Lounges

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I agree that there is a problem on the Nokia 920 touch screen recognizing your intention to swipe over to the list of apps. I have that problem all the time. I also have trouble swiping left and right in my RSS reader app, Newspot (not sure who to blame, Nokia, Microsoft, or the app dev).

I also agree that the keyboard is somehow clunky for me. I held my 920 next to my iPhone 4 and somehow despite having a much bigger screen the 920's keyboard feels much smaller and cramped. I think I can type better on the iPhone. I even had a quick keyboard competition vs a coworker, and me and my 920 got spanked. Embarrassing!

These things are hardly reasons to avoid the 920, assuming you like the rest of the phone. And I am confident MS will improve these features as time goes on.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes