Buy lumia 950 XL or Intel device 2016 as the true flagship?

nkaufmann

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
I know the title of the thread says it all - people ask these kind of questions all the time. I realize that whenever you purchase a phone the next best thing is always right on the way. However - from what I have heard and read it seems as though these could be monumentally different devices. It seems as though the platform is moving towards a stage where ARM processors (qualcomm) will start to be replaced with intel x86 processors. My question is this - can somebody with more knowledge of this stuff point me in the right direction in terms of future hardware/software compatibility? I have read that the SD810 isn't even competent for continuum (forget the overheating problems), which would make it a no brainer to wait. I just got a 640 as a stop gap as my 920 just crashed. It has truly been such a long time since I had a new flagship in my hands and I would love to buy the 950 XL but I almost get the sense that these phones are merely a stop gap to get flagships in the consumers hands while the real priority (intel powered devices) are finished and released early 2016. I also wonder if those intel devices will be business focused and not attractive as an everyday flagship? I just don't want to miss out on crucial features (continuum) since I have waited this long already. I am also afraid that qualcomm devices will not be supported as well as the platform moves to x86.

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
I HAVE BEEN WONDERING THE SAME THING!!!

Are the upcoming Lumia's just going to be average flagships, while the "business" devices coming early 2016 are the real deal smartphones to really not just compete, but take down other smartphone competition? I'm Curious...

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
When I think about Microsoft launching a business class phone, I think about the mid-grade. Why? Companies want value and performance while keeping an eye on the bottom line. They will be purchasing in bulk. Something in the middle that gets the job done and is an easy to justify expense would fit the need.

Ian Too

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Judging by what I've read on this and other sites and forums, I can't say there's much to support the idea of an x86 processor device. There was of course the usual bland announcement from Intel and Microsoft that they're co-operating, but I've read nothing to say any actual devices like this are being developed. Of course this doesn't mean they aren't, the Surface group within Microsoft have been very good at getting products to market sans leaks.

It's not entirely clear what the benefit of such a device would be either, since you wouldn't be able to run x86 apps under a traditional desktop and the focus for PC development should be on universal apps and a properly vetted app store, and such apps should work equally well on a Qualcomm architecture.

For my money, I doubt Windows Phone will ever switch away from Qualcomm to Intel. Qualcomm have such a lead in low power technology and systems-on-a-chip design, so I see no reason to support the idea of seeing Talkman/Cityman as stop-gaps for a real flagship.

As things stand, I'd say Talkman/Cityman are it for at least 2016 and functionally, I see no need to doubt it.

Of course a Surface phone could come, but I can only speculate with the information I have.

Jakoh

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
It always sounds like Intel cant get a break on Mobile.
So is an intel processor only beneficial if it runs x86 apps? no. If intel can give us better performance and battery life, then you want x86 or x64 architecture.
Intel has been promising this for a few years, but i think they are close to realization with broadwell or skylake.

nkaufmann

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
I just do not want to buy a device if it is a stop gap. The fact that the 810 is aged (it is still the latest processor but it is very close to being replaced) as well as the known issues just mildly decrease my faith in the fact that this is the true flagship. You all raise good points and the business specs would not surprise me if they were a bit less. However, I need to find the source but I saw somewhere that the intel powered device coming in 2016 was going to be the "iphone and galaxy killer". The problem is with Microsoft is business devices have sometimes been the cornerstone (IE: surface pro was intended for business and it is far and beyond more powerful than the RT ever was). I hate waiting and will buy a phone before next May guaranteed (I don't constantly fear a better device, but the way this has been presented along with the relatively short time span in between worries me (lumia 900-920))

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon