I lost the connection to the internet after the upgrade, how can I get it back?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Lost connection to the internet after upgrade

My upgrade from Windows 8.1 to 10 went smoothly but now i've lost internet connection on both wifi and using a cable directly into the router. Done some troubleshooting but not getting anywhere.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Re: Lost connection to the internet after upgrade

Hmm, it's possible that the drivers required for your internet device in your PC were uninstalled during the upgrade - some users have reported that some of their devices stopped working, e.g. the touch pad of a laptop may stop working - but this can easily be resolved by downloading and installing the driver for your PC.

Since your PC can't connect to the internet, you would need another PC where you can download the official drivers for your PC.

Should you wish to provide us with more details, please create a Windows Central account and respond to this thread.

HyperformGroup

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site

I had the same experience. Turns out it was BitDefender firewall. So please check your firewall. If you have BitDefender, when you get the new version, it will block your wifi or LAN connections by default after you reboot. Took me a few hours to get this correct.

Autumnslight

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site

I had the same problem on my Asus Q550LF Laptop. I installed several different drivers, and nothing worked, so I wound up rolling back to Windows 8.1.

First, I uninstalled the Cisco VPN application that I had, as I had read other people had issues when they updated to WIndows 10 with these types of applications installed.

Then I went to the support section of the ASUS website, input my laptop model number, and downloaded the Qualcomm Atheros Wireless Lan Driver and Application (this may vary, depending on what wireless adapter you have) from the Wireless section under Driver & Tools. NOTE: there were no wireless drivers available when I selected Windows 10 as my Operating System, so I chose WIndows 8.1, and downloaded that driver.

Next, I uninstalled the Qualcomm Atheros Client Installation Program from my computer, and then I unistalled my wireless adapter and totally deleted the driver info from Device Manager. At that point, I had no internet connectivity in Windows 8.1.

Finally, I rebooted, installed the new driver, rebooted again, and updated to Windows 10 again. Now everything works fine!

Good luck. I hope this is helpful to others.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3