Would you honestly buy another Microsoft Mobile?

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Well, I want to make one thing clear. And that's when people talk about "lag", they don't mean loading and resuming times but the times when apps or OS becomes unresponsive or "held" and in most cases has to be restarted. It happens with the best of android devices but never with the most budget of windows phone devices.

I understand what it means yet I haven't had the pleasure of experiencing it to the degree some make it out to be, have/had several low to higher-end Android devices (phones/tablets) over the years so they're not new to me, granted my WPs are better in that respects but I'll still stand by my statement "all three of my WPs exhibit a certain amount of lag", unless I've gotten the rotten eggs of the bunch, to say "never" in regards to Windows phone devices isn't true according to my experience... Also, its been a rareity in my camp for the need to restart either WP/Android apps or devices due to the apps themselves or the OS so I"m not sure what troubles you are having.

Last edited:

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
If it wasn't for windows 10, I would have left long time ago. It seems like for the first time, Microsoft can finally focus on us, since windows 10 apps are coded (almost) the same across devices.

sonus

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
Well, I want to make one thing clear. And that's when people talk about "lag", they don't mean loading and resuming times but the times when apps or OS becomes unresponsive or "held" and in most cases has to be restarted. It happens with the best of android devices but never with the most budget of windows phone devices.

Apps crashing is not Android lag.

Android lag is any of the following - most often after not doing a full refresh or changing ROMS every few months (hence why the happy Android users are those that buy new phones every six months or the XDA kids that change ROMS every week before issues have a chance to creep in):
  • When you see the home screen actually redraw itself or repopulate icons (it happens in an instant and you would miss it if you blinked, but it shouldn't happen at all)
  • When a default app starts taking an eternity to load (i.e. over 4 seconds) and the "cure" is to clear the Dalvik cache
  • When the you haven't restarted the phone in 2 days and all apps take a while to open
  • When screen taps or buttons don't register being pressed immediately (WP always tells you resume is happening immediately, Android just doesn't tell you anything is happening resulting in multiple taps/presses and frustration)

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Apps crashing is not Android lag.

Android lag is any of the following - most often after not doing a full refresh or changing ROMS every few months (hence why the happy Android users are those that buy new phones every six months or the XDA kids that change ROMS every week before issues have a chance to creep in):
  • When you see the home screen actually redraw itself or repopulate icons (it happens in an instant and you would miss it if you blinked, but it shouldn't happen at all)
  • When a default app starts taking an eternity to load (i.e. over 4 seconds) and the "cure" is to clear the Dalvik cache
  • When the you haven't restarted the phone in 2 days and all apps take a while to open
  • When screen taps or buttons don't register being pressed immediately (WP always tells you resume is happening immediately, Android just doesn't tell you anything is happening resulting in multiple taps/presses and frustration)
The last example you gave is the only one that truly represents lag. http://forums.windowscentral.com/general-windows-phone-discussion-lounge/376725-12.htm#post3215142

gilezzz

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
I want to love Windows phones but let's face it, a Windows phone is a niche product at the moment, except for a few countries. My wife has a Moto X and I have 2 phones, one old Android i use for work and a Lumia 535 which i bought just out of curiosity. Apart from the touch screen issues (which are a deal breaker for the 535, i think Microsoft really dropped the ball on this one), I cannot really find a reason to stick to Windows phone apart for the "let's be different" one. Android 5 is fast and solid, with all due respect to tiles i don't see Windows Phone offering anything more.. i'd say a lot less instead. The interface is more confusing than needed, the ultimate utility of all those tiles is arguable, the apps' quality is lacking. No, no Windows phone for me. Until Microsoft comes up with something worth it.

zkyevolved

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I have the LG G4 right now. I'm really looking forward to the Cityman XL :D. As long as it has a good camera and a large screen, I'm probably down for it. I'll have to wait and see it at launch of course, but I'm highly optimistic. When was the launch date again? I want a new phone fix soon......... xD I really enjoyed my 1520. 930 got too warm and battery life was too short for my taste... But the 1520, wow. Superb device! Hopefully this one will be equally awesome :)

Maxwell Fong

May 4, 2014
Visit site
Since I've been dreading for Windows 10 mobile, I really want to get my first hands onto the first flagship done by Microsoft itself. In theory my phone and Surface Pro 3 should work perfectly in harmony, which I've been longing for. However by the leaks of the Talkman and Cityman, it doesn't seem like they'll become killer flagships like Lumia 925 did (which is still my favorite phone to-date), but I'll hold on to one of them and keep my iPod until a killer flagship comes out (I'll still keep my iPod then because Instagram and Snapchat).

NeofytosN

Sep 8, 2015
Visit site
No way, I have a 1520 with the usual touch registering as a tab problem that a lot of the 1520 have. I send it to the service last week only to find out that the service for the Nokia is on another country (Hungary) and will take 2 weeks+ to get my phone back. I also believe that will not get fixed because Nokia/MS doesn't think that they have the touch registering as a tab problem on 1520. If you have Apple iphone they give you a new one!!!

MarCou

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
If it wasn't for windows 10, I would have left long time ago. It seems like for the first time, Microsoft can finally focus on us, since windows 10 apps are coded (almost) the same across devices.

No, it really doesn?t seems like it for the first time. It had seems like that for years. And I hope you to understand that it still would take years before win10 advantages will come forth and it will be at the same line with android and iOS, even if win10 will succeed.

STEPHEN COLTON

Sep 8, 2015
Visit site
Yes and No...
I have a Nokia 920 which I have had for over 2 years. I love the phone and have watched windows OS grow over those 2 years. I am patiently waiting to see what window 10 mobile will bring. I have seen recent preview build and looks good. The problem is the lack of the main apps. Facebook connect no longer works with windows OS and the lack of meaningful updates is worrying. The lack of Snapchat and some banking apps leaves me to wonder what can windows OS for mobile go. I feel other manufactures like Samsung need to get behind windows 10 mobile and start to improve the 'image' of this OS.
I will see what comes in Q4 for handsets and will decide to upgrade to the new windows 10 mobile or god forbid I have to go back to an android phone. (Lets see more quality apps and better UI from existing ones and integration with other companies like Samsung)

congthanhgiong

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
never have a flagship windows phone before. This time I'll go for it, MS need to improve its camera default settings though, they make it a bit complicated for people like me who don't know how to take best photo. Win phone default camera cannot compete with other phones (android +isheepphone).

joshuamontell

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
Most likely will not buy a Windows Phone ever again. I am highly disappointed by the lack of apps and support for them. I bought a Lumia 1020 in early 2014 and it wasn't quite what I expected. Yea, the camera is fantastic but what else is great? I understand others will choose WP over Android and iOS, I don't want to step on toes but it's not for me. I will def try out WIN 10 mobile when it comes available so it can revive my phone, it hasn't been used in months. As I made the switch back to iOS and Android.

hemanlive

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
I bought a 710 for my brother. Bought a 820 for myself and replaced it with 640 XL. Needless to say how happy I am with windows OS. I have since gifted 625 to my wife, 532 to my mom (their first smartphones) and 640 to one of my cousins. All are really happy too. On my recommendation several friends and colleagues have bought windows phones. Only one of them has bought an android phone after that. In his case too, Android is used as a 'second phone'. So I don't see too many people willing to jump ships.
But the real challenge for MS is to attract existing iPhone or Android users to windows phones.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes