Would you honestly buy another Microsoft Mobile?

bmetelsky

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Ordered my Note 5 from AT&T today. It looks like I'll be spending some significant time over at Android Central this weekend, trying to get a head start on learning what I can about the new device. :wink:

her3814

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
My brother got 2 years ago a Lumia 620, by that moment I was looking forward Windows Phone 8, and using Android on a Sony Ericsson. When I first tried that phone, I just couldn't fall in love more.. So, last year by september bought a shiny, not so powerful, Lumia 630 which since August used Windows 10 Mobile. 3 days ago got a Microsoft Lumia 640 and I'm in love with the camera .. I don't really care about apps, so it's not "the big problem" for me.. Now i'm installing Windows 10 Mobile on my 640 after 3 days of messing with stock firmware.. But my "geeky me" couldn't stand Windows Phone 8.1 and just jumped into Windows 10 Mobile to see how it works in this phone

Zeem Frostmaw

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
I'm certainly starting to question it with how unpolished Windows 10 Mobile appears to be. But at the same time, I'm not sure I'd get /that/ much better of an experience on Android or iOS, even with the extra app support.

Ian_Superfly

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
One year and a half with the "flagship 930" and besides the very good camera, and beautiful amoled screen, the gift of a bluetooth speaker and a ?20 voucher I really think my choice of living without google did not really pay off. WP 8.1 and 10 is a constant beta. My bank does not have a WP app. Neither my semi prof photo camera manufacturer. Of course they do have it for iOS and Android. WM10 is a copy of iOS the buttons the styles the fly-out of the tiles aso. Cortana's stupid regional settings are infuriating. British Cortana sounds like a female Hawkins simulator combined with a depressed BBC presenter. The list is very long and mostly boring. Now my question to you all, who had either of the flagship models would you go and spend another ?4-500 or equivalent in any currency on a new Microsoft Mobile? Please put your hand on your heart and be honest. I will start by saying NO.

Today we know that only 1/5 will buy another Microsoft Mobile and 4/5 will go for android/ios. I.e. 4 out of five Windows phones that you see out there will not be replaced.

Ericsson: Only 20% of Windows Phone users stay with WP when they switch phones | The Verge

Flavio76

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
So if you want to still continue using Outlook AND sync your contacts, what I've found is that you need to sync your email accounts though the default "email" application first. Doing that will allow you to sync your contacts, calendar, everything with the phone. Then you can set up Outlook as well with the accounts you want. After you do this, you will obviously have like 2-3 different email apps setup to handle your email, which is rather inefficient. If you open up the built-in email app now, go to Settings, and click on your Outlook account, you should have the option to choose what to sync (email, calendar, tasks, and contacts). I believe this is where the setting was btw, it could have actually been in the main system settings under Accounts. Uncheck email from there because you don't care to sync that with the default email application.

Just got my Note 5 yesterday and was setting all this up. I really like the customizability (already have new default messaging, keyboard, and email applications as well as a custom theme), but the setup was nowhere near as easy as WP or iOS. Plus I hate how much bloatware is on this, and the fact that you have so many different apps serving the same purpose and vying for your data. And Android keeps warning you at every step just how much access everything has to your info. Kind of disconcerting, maybe I would rather have that happen in the background and trust Google to only hand out as much data as necessary.
Our you can buy the app Nine, that do all for you, contacts calendar email flawless sync folders etc etc etc unbeatable app try it

Flavio76

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Glad you got your NOTE 5...will PM you with your thoughts.

Right now, I have Outlook as my mail, calendar and contacts client. It syncs email and calendar very well. Contacts...if I enter a contact on Outlook.com website, I will see it on my phone and can see it for SMS. If I enter a contact on my phone, it only saves to GOOGLE/GMAIL. Under the outlook tab, it is is greyed out. Now, mind you, I do not sync in the MAIL APP. Side note, I also do not sync GMAIL in the GMAIL app as I forward it to my Outlook.com account anyway.

Look for the app called nine.
Sorry for double post folks, i tried to PM but can t do it on Wphone app...
anyways if you try you will thank me. It also saves contacts in outlook, calendars etc...

Mike Bourbon

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
See, people keep saying stuff like this, without doing some more digging about it.
Apple can thrive with laptops and desktops at single digit share, these days it's in the low teens btw, since it serves the >$1000 per unit, end of the market. Their margins on each product sold, as a hardware manufacturer are the envy of all other hardware manufacturers.
Windows phones on the other hand, have a single digit worldwide share, at the lowest end of the phone market, with devices in the <$100 range, with next to zero margin, and Microsoft probably *loses* money on every device sold.

See the difference?

It's not in the teens. It's 6.9% - OSX is 6.9% of all the desktop/laptop OS's hitting the web. 91.39% of them are Windows. Source is netmarketshare. Furthermore, next tme you go to the hospital, take a look at the machines various machines they use. Most are not online, but stand alone machines running Windows. As are the one mechanics use and some in the manufacturing sector - none of them count towards the total number. Otherwise you would probably see OSX below 3%.

Beyond that, MS is selling software, their cost is the developer hours it takes to write and maintain the O/S over it's lifespan. Times that by the billions of licenses it has out there. It's profit margin is probably higher than Apples when it comes to Desktop and Laptops because it's not actually making or selling them.

Last edited:

Joshwin

Jan 31, 2015
Visit site
WP all the way. I don't even have a second thought about it. What is more important is the OS. apps are getting better already, and in few years apps in all platforms are going to be very similar, what would set them apart will be the OS. and W10M will be in the frontline(with continuum and universal apps).I feel at home when I use WP as it has same UI language as my PC. I sort of feel insecure when I use an android phone. IOS is better but feel that isn't worth the huge money.

Ten Four

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I just bought a Lumia 640 as a holiday present for someone. She's not a power user at all and will be perfectly happy if calls, texts, maps, and Cortana continue to work for another year or two, and in the meantime she gets to enjoy the simple and good looking interface. I'll try to keep her on 8.1 as long as possible, or at least until WM10 gets the bugs ironed out. For myself, I'll stick with my older Lumia for awhile on 8.1 and see how things shake out. I'm never one to jump through hoops to get new software or hardware when it first comes out, and it will be interesting to see if WM10 improves and gains traction. Meanwhile, 8.1 does about 90% of what I want and about 98% of what I need.

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Definitely would - if it was Verizon compatible. But alas! What is the old saying....Oh yeah: "I would if I could but I can't so I won't."

Bought a Droid Turbo 2 last week to move on from my Icon....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes