How to tackle Android/iOS fanboys?

Manmikey

Jun 22, 2015
Visit site
Re: How to tackle android/iOS fanboys

I really miss face unlock from Android, my 640 doesn't have it, does 8.1 and or 10 support it on certain handsets?

captaincalamity

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Im a Fan of WP, iOS and Android to be honest, I think they are all pretty great, Android has the best maps with google and complete infrastructure with its google calendar, gmail, Keep notes, maps all integrated which works superbly, WP has hands down the best UI pinning live tiles is so intuitive and cameras especially with the L930 just gets perfect results almost every time, iOS has the greatest independent gaming creativity and app diversity. I like to show interest in any of them, if I had more available funds I would have one of each, so I would say to a ****** "Get your head out of that polo mint and look into the future with a wider view...baby"

Rising Mos

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site

I really miss face unlock from Android, my 640 doesn't have it, does 8.1 and or 10 support it on certain handsets?

The rumors (which are pretty much confirmed) is that the new flagship phone Lumia 950 and 950xl will have face recognition for unlocking. The reason for needing new hardware is that they use more than a picture so they need a special camera. So old phones will not get this.

hb1x

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site

Try to understand what they're talking about. Compare, without a ****** mindset, and if you think your phone has all the features you need, then just ignore them and be happy.
Fighting over a phone OS is not worth it.
I'm not a WP ******. I prefer Android/iOS. And I keep seeing people calling android as lagdroid and iOS as iSheep. I just smile at them and move on.

Joshwin

Jan 31, 2015
Visit site

What you have in your hand is the future.Dont feel inferior to use WPs in front of your friends. to me android is just a glorified s*** old Symbian nothing new nothing exiting. and remember phones are just a tool that you choose purely based on your needs. So point that out to them. Wp is really advanced in many ways. it is the future. Livetiles are amazing. I can't live without it.they talk about widgets but that is bulls***. app icons+ widgets=livetiles. how cool is that. I don't want two different things for a single app occupying the space. Just ask them this question: at just ONE Glance, I can check my mails, calendar appointments, social network notificaitons &msgs, and most importantly all my news feeds headlines all in just few secs on the startscreen itself WITHOUT EVEN OPENING AN APP or notification center or without even touching the screen . can they do that? and when they say NO.then you say Fukc off and play with your toys changing theme and wallpaper.

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
"Soon" you will be able to say "You should compare devices to their own category".

As what you will be holding wont be a "smartphone", it will be a "geniusphone", or what ever the hell Microsoft will call smartphones with computer-like capabilities, which i am sure it will be a crappy name, but we got that going for us now.

You can also lie and say that your phone will receive an update that will let it be used as a computer (although your phone wont) but it is safe to say that with the current market share, once windows phone gets the proper exposure, the 950 950XL will be out. :p

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I really don't care what platform anyone else uses, I use Windows Phone because it has the features I want in a Smartphone. I just ignore the fanboys and get on with my life, there are more important things in life to argue about than mobile operating systems.

SalmanA

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site
You made big mistake by showing them immature w10m preview...
Just told them final version is still not ready and coming next month and currently you are checking only preview version for a fun..
Just get any other Lumia loaded with WP8.1 Denim and show them how much WP os is fluid and lag free..
I myself have Lumia 730 DS loaded with 400 apps n games still it is 100% lag free and works like charm..
Show them Cortana, best apps , best tiles experience n debate with them..
N also tell all missing features are coming in W10M update and also all lumias ll getting W10 update.
Iris scanner is coming, project Astoria n Icelandwood for Android n IOS app porting coming, Continuum coming, Unified app store coming and much more

anubhav756

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site

Seeing Windows Hello in Win 10, and all the convergence between WIn10 and Win10 Mobile, I'm pretty sure your L950/XL will be unlocking at your face :)

Tsang Fai

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
Statistics tells us that the majority of people blindly follow trends, have no free will and do not have good taste.

So I would respond to them, "You're the majority and I'm the minority. So I'm way more superior than you. Period" :p

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site

We should be "happy" that there are more OSes because "competition" is good for consumers.

NatKingColeslaw

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site

To be honest, Windows needs more from their live tiles. On Android I have a scrollable calendar widget that allows me to see way more than what the live tile would show me. A soccer scores widget that allowed me to customize the teams I wanted it to show, and let's me see the scorers etc. with one click (not even going into the app). Live tiles are great if what you WANT is a quick glance at limited information. I often find that what is displayed on my live tiles isn't enough, and I have to go into the app (which is no advantage over iPhone or Android). With my Android widgets though...

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Jack Neill

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
OS Wars are the worst, I hate the arguments, I shut it down when I pull out my Lumia and place it on the table next to my Nexus and iPhone 6.

adkrish22290

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site

Does anyone face the same problem?

I mean, I go to college, talk about "Hey, win 10 mobile has this new feature!", and almost everyone, especially a few, start an OS WAR with me!

If they search something on bing, and don't get what they wanted, they "blame" me for that!

They ask me, hey let me see your phone, and I'm like, OK, and after sometime, they start complaining about the lags, and glitches, and compare their phone's OS with a technical preview!

They would compare Siri/Google voice with Cortana (sometimes with my mobile data turned off), and if, once in a ten times, cortana fails, they brag about their AIs (not considering the fact that Google voice had serached the web for "find pizzas nearby", and Siri complaining "Siri not available" for call commands too). If I dare to ask cortana to sing a song, or tell a joke, it is immediately considered to be asking for useless stuff from an AI.

These are a few of many small things I faced months ago. Although these talks have faded away (perhaps because of me not giving a s#@t about them), I am just curious to know anyone out there, still facing the same problem, or has got their ways to tackle these fanboys?

You need to tackle and convince them with facts in favour of WP and against Lagdroid and iCrap. I have faced the same problem too, most of my friends are Lagdroid fanboys and fangirls who are ignorant about Windows Phone.

Enlighten them on WP's advantages over Lagdroid: lack of lag and security concerns, similar experience (no fragmentation) across OEMs, its unique and beautiful UI with live tiles which are aesthetically pleasing and not resource hogs and the unnecessity of having to tinker with the phone and flash third-party ROMs because WP works smoothly and perfectly in all aspects. Also, highlight WP's advantages over iCrap like free apps, low price, better specs for a lower price and the unique UI. Tell that than Lagdroid and iCrap apps can be installed in W10M and try to convince them that all the important apps are available for WP.

You should explain to them that W10M at the moment is in technical preview; an unfinished product which is bound to have lags and other issues. Also, show them and make them use a device running WP 8.1 to convince them of WP's smooth performance.

Cortana is an asset to WP, your friends are just jealous that their beloved Google Now does not have a female voice and cannot talk back to them. And Cortana never drains the battery rapidly unlike Google Now. Siri is quite good though.

Bing gives the relevant results for what we search. An equivalent Google search only returns ads (which are generated by Google illegally spying on what users do with Google and its related products) and some links to Google+ and other Google products, but very less relevant results for what we search. Bing is n times better than the rubbish Google search.

If even after explaining your friends all these advantages they are not convinced, then ignore them and be proud of the fact that you own a device running the world's best mobile OS developed by a company which revolutionised the computer industry.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I got to have a nice real world comparison of my 830 against a work colleagues iPhone in New York the other week. Twice on trips he tried asking Siri for directions to somewhere and she couldn't complete the voice translation or didn't know the address. Was grinning like a Cheshire cat when Cortana got it perfectly both times the iPhone failed and WP did the job. Felt vindicated in my choice of phone platform.

For business Windows Phone is great. For the student who wants SnapChat or the latest game or for the average person who wants their bank app on the phone Windows Phone is a challenge. I really hope the Android capability in WM10 fills in a lot of the app gap.

Jack Neill

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site

You need to tackle and convince them with facts in favour of WP and against Lagdroid and iCrap. I have faced the same problem too, most of my friends are Lagdroid fanboys and fangirls who are ignorant about Windows Phone.

Enlighten them on WP's advantages over Lagdroid: lack of lag and security concerns, similar experience (no fragmentation) across OEMs, its unique and beautiful UI with live tiles which are aesthetically pleasing and not resource hogs and the unnecessity of having to tinker with the phone and flash third-party ROMs because WP works smoothly and perfectly in all aspects. Also, highlight WP's advantages over iCrap like free apps, low price, better specs for a lower price and the unique UI. Tell that than Lagdroid and iCrap apps can be installed in W10M and try to convince them that all the important apps are available for WP.

You should explain to them that W10M at the moment is in technical preview; an unfinished product which is bound to have lags and other issues. Also, show them and make them use a device running WP 8.1 to convince them of WP's smooth performance.

Cortana is an asset to WP, your friends are just jealous that their beloved Google Now does not have a female voice and cannot talk back to them. And Cortana never drains the battery rapidly unlike Google Now. Siri is quite good though.

Bing gives the relevant results for what we search. An equivalent Google search only returns ads (which are generated by Google illegally spying on what users do with Google and its related products) and some links to Google+ and other Google products, but very less relevant results for what we search. Bing is n times better than the rubbish Google search.

If even after explaining your friends all these advantages they are not convinced, then ignore them and be proud of the fact that you own a device running the world's best mobile OS developed by a company which revolutionised the computer industry.

Referring to competing ecosystems as "Lagdroid" and "iCrap", isn't going to convince anyone of anything, It just sounds petty and childish. I use WP, Android, and iOS all the time, each has their own advantages and disadvantages. How about focusing on that?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SimcolCross