Is there a decent password manager for Windows phone?

IMissMyPsion

Oct 8, 2015
Visit site
is there a decent password manager for windows phone?

I use Roboform on Windows on my laptop. It syncs great between that and my desktop, filled in passwords, forms and is a secure store for other notes. On Windows 7 it could also log me in to programmes.
I then moved phones from windows mobile to android as I didn't like 8. Roboform works well and integrated with browsers from Dolphin and Firefox.
I'm keeping my android tablet whatever happens.
With the launch of this years flagship phones, and the 950XL, it might be time to return to windows phone, but Roboform is pretty bad on the phone I've borrowed. It only seems to work in its own internal browser, and so far as I can see that is how things seem to work in windows 8.1 .
Web links always open in internet explorer and I can't get them to do so in Roboform.
My quest is for a browser that will integrate, or a better password manager that can link across all platforms.
Who uses password managers in windows phone, and preferably with experience of 10 as well?

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Re: is there a decent password manager for windows phone?

I've found Keyring Pro to be quite good. I've not looked around a whole lot for alternatives but I've been using it for a few months and have had no issues. I'm not sure how it works on Windows 10 Mobile yet.

TusharG

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

I am using keepass for many years. It works on Windows, Windows phone (winkee), keepassx in Linux, android and Mac OS too. Same password file across all platforms. More over I use cloud service to keep my password file. (Don't put password db file in cloud if its not secured by password+local key file to decrypt)
By keeping db file in cloud my updated file is available across all devices and platforms I use. Again, imp point is to decrypt db you must use password+local key file. Any one missing will prevent it from decryption. Never keep your key file in cloud storage.

There are many plugins available that do form filling for you with keepass. Also keepass is open source, code is available for you to review.

Here is a link to Keepass web site: http://keepass.info
Here is a link to keepass plugins: http://keepass.info/plugins.html

Hope this helps you.

Last edited:

IMissMyPsion

Oct 8, 2015
Visit site

Thanks for that, but how so?
You have to pay for the desktop version and pay again for the windows version, and it only uses its own browser. The reviews in windows store are not encouraging. I've tried it in windows on pc and it is cumbersome compared to Roboform.

IMissMyPsion

Oct 8, 2015
Visit site

I am using keepass for many years. It works on Windows, Windows phone (winkee), keepassx in Linux, android and Mac

Hope this helps you.
Thanks for your helpful and informative post. I did look at keepass a long time ago before settling on Roboform. Maybe it has matured enough since then, so I'll have another look.

IMissMyPsion

Oct 8, 2015
Visit site

I've found Keyring Pro to be quite good. I've not looked around a whole lot for alternatives but I've been using it for a few months and have had no issues. I'm not sure how it works on Windows 10 Mobile yet.
Thanks but that seems only on windows phone. It says that the information is not put in the cloud,so I'd not have it in android.
It also mentions copy from Keyring into apps, which I can do with Roboform - it's just that I've been used to an easier way.

Richard Culverhouse

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

I've been using Lastpass for a couple of years now. It works on the phone and pc / tablet. The site has flavours available for mac / Linux etc. The only thing is that on the phone, if you don't use the built-in browser, you'll have to copy/paste the details. But that is as easy as long press and select the option.

IMissMyPsion

Oct 8, 2015
Visit site

Thanks Richard. That is just the same as Roboform, whcih works very well within its own browser. Jim

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site

I've been using Lastpass for a couple of years now. It works on the phone and pc / tablet. The site has flavours available for mac / Linux etc. The only thing is that on the phone, if you don't use the built-in browser, you'll have to copy/paste the details. But that is as easy as long press and select the option.
I have been using LastPass for many years. Cross platform and syncs with all my devices. There is a great package deal with Xmarks to do the same with all your favorites in all your browser. They also have USB solutions.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site

I'll add another vote for LastPass. Easily worth $12/yr for mobile access, it is available for every platform that I can think of, and works quite well. They were recently purchased by LogMeIn, so I hope there isn't a decline in quality because of that.

IMissMyPsion

Oct 8, 2015
Visit site

Thanks for all the votes for LastPass. I don't like it. Ah well. I've got a friend who I support with computer issues, and he has Lastpass. I do not find it anything like as straight forward as Roboform, and if it is my choice, I'll stick with what I know and what works for me - it seems to do at least as much in WIndows Phone as LastPass does. The only thing I like better is how it can check the security of each of your passwords.
I am just amazed that Windows Phone (and desktop modern apps) don't allow add-ins to work. To me, Windows is crying out for an integrated password manager, not something that only works on the phone in its own browser.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site

I am just amazed that Windows Phone (and desktop modern apps) don't allow add-ins to work. To me, Windows is crying out for an integrated password manager, not something that only works on the phone in its own browser.

It would be awesome if browser would allow integration with add-ins like a password manager, but part of what makes mobile browsers fast and secure is the lack of plugins.

If Microsoft were to integrate password management, I'd still use LastPass. For one, I use go cross platform, I use some Linux PCs at home, and I have Linux and Mac PCs at work. But the big thing is security, I trust LastPass's security model. The big part of it is transparency on how their encryption and password storage and management works.

manus31

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site
I'm still using lastpass for free on my laptop/lumia

I can get my passwords on edge browser on phone by logging in and copying my password.Its a bit annoying though because you have to go through a few pop ups

hb1x

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site

Love it or hate it, lastpass is the currently the best cross platform password manager in Windows phone.

On a side note, Sticky Password (currently not available for WP) is offering 50% off on both its yearly and lifetime plans.
They said, if the demand arise, they might make a WP app.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for all the votes for LastPass. I don't like it. Ah well. I've got a friend who I support with computer issues, and he has Lastpass. I do not find it anything like as straight forward as Roboform, and if it is my choice, I'll stick with what I know and what works for me - it seems to do at least as much in WIndows Phone as LastPass does. The only thing I like better is how it can check the security of each of your passwords..
Respectfully, "ah, you tried it and, you don't like it". LastPass checks the security of passwords and has a feature to evaluate the security of all your passwords and more features. It isn't just a simplistic service for people to just try once and decide against. That's ridiculous. LastPass is very sophisticated, and has many features and ways to keep you secure and your passwords synced. If you are looking for a super simple, lightweight solution, you likely won't end up with anything as feature rich as LastPass. Research it properly. Dig in and really analyze and compare.

Best wishes.

Richard Culverhouse

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

Thanks Richard. That is just the same as Roboform, whcih works very well within its own browser. Jim

I tried RoboForm on the phone (I was a long-time RoboForm user, but just got sick of waiting for a windows phone app), but last pass is much easier for copying the credentials. Maybe I am just too used to it now lol

Eric Willson

Oct 17, 2015
Visit site
I'm using Enpass .. one of the most trusted password manager. Its an offline password manager (stores your data on your device only, not on servers) that supports windows phone, windows desktop and almost all the major desktop and mobile phone platforms. It also give you liberty to sync your data with many cloud platforms. The best thing about it is that its totally free for all the desktop platforms, no need to pay even a single penny and if you want to migrate your data from other passwords managers like Lastpass to Enpass.. its done in seconds !!
Go to this link to checkout the other cool features of the App : enpass.io

IMissMyPsion

Oct 8, 2015
Visit site
Respectfully, "ah, you tried it and, you don't like it". LastPass checks the security of passwords and has a feature to evaluate the security of all your passwords and more features. It isn't just a simplistic service for people to just try once and decide against. That's ridiculous. LastPass is very sophisticated, and has many features and ways to keep you secure and your passwords synced. If you are looking for a super simple, lightweight solution, you likely won't end up with anything as feature rich as LastPass. Research it properly. Dig in and really analyze and compare.

Best wishes.
I do understand how some people like LastPass but I think it's like Marmite - you either love it or you hate it.
May I ask if you've tried Roboform? I used LastPass for a week originally. I've been working with my friend (for whom I installed it) for 18 months two afternoons a week. I've set him up with form fills, two identities, many passwords. I believe I'm qualified to compare.

IMissMyPsion

Oct 8, 2015
Visit site
I tried RoboForm on the phone (I was a long-time RoboForm user, but just got sick of waiting for a windows phone app), but last pass is much easier for copying the credentials. Maybe I am just too used to it now lol
I've not had that wait, but can understand.
I used it back in the days of windows mobile when it worked well. I abandoned windows when they stopped developing an operating system I loved and am only just considering returning now that windows 10 promises so much more.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon