Will Tungsten Rings Scratch Your Screen?

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Anyone ever notice they get scratches on their phones from tungsten carbide rings? My wedding ring is made out of this and every once in awhile I notice a small scratch on my screen without any misuse. Reviews of gorilla glass say you shouldn't need a protector, but I still use one because of these little scratches. I'm thinking of getting a softer metal for my ring so I can abandon screen protectors. To explain my logic, hardness of a material is measured on a Mohs scale. Glass is 6, tungsten carbide 9, diamond 10, steel 5, platinum 4, gold 3. All these reassuring YouTube videos where they put a key or knife to the screen, don't scratch it because it is like trying to scratch gold with chalk. My ring is smooth and I think it is still probably the culprit. Anyone else notice this possibility?

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Just out of waiting since i have a broken 1520. I tried scratching the screw with copper, steel, and 18k gold. None scratches the screen. My tungsten ring easily scratches it. Solved my scratch mystery and plan not to wear that ring anymore.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon