OneDrive goes from 15GB to 5GB

sreeraj rajan

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
The "keep your storage" mail never reached my inbox,but the "you are affected by the storage cut" mail correctly reached.Just when I was thinking what to do with my "not eligible for upgrade" Lumia 925.I installed Box but it cannot do direct auto upload from photos.

Lim Zhenghong

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
while I still have the 1TB storage because I has a office 365 subscription, but to be honest, I never used the onedrive storage at all. The reason being that syncing is way too slow.

I gladly pay for dropbox even though it is much more expensive.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

During my time using it I did find Dropbox a whole lot more reliable (don't get me wrong, OneDrive was satisfactory) and could hook into more stuff, despite not meshing as well with Microsoft stuff. (although it did connect with Office and Office Mobile which was cool)

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
while I still have the 1TB storage because I has a office 365 subscription, but to be honest, I never used the onedrive storage at all. The reason being that syncing is way too slow.

syncing on pc or phone? From my experience syncing on pc is as fast as network speed allows

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Well i have 2.2 TB on Onedrive - Building my own cloud with multiple backups in different locations, never trusting a large company on thier word. They lied about the reasons to us, unlimited is just that..unlimited. The education institutions took the ****, they are the ones that need to be penalised not everyone...so much for cloud first...and mobile first? LOL

wpguy

Aug 16, 2012
Visit site
OneDrive users can keep their free 15GB of storage and camera roll bonus after all, if they opt-in by Jan. 31
OneDrive users can keep their free 15GB of storage and camera roll bonus after all, if they opt-in by Jan. 31 | Windows Central

The info was there, read and heed

I did the opt in and STILL got the notice that my 15 GB was being dropped to 5 GB.

The only reason I'm not upset is because I have an Office 365 subscription. Still, Microsoft did not honor my opt in. I get it, MS is a huge company and stuff falls through the cracks. But honestly, lately it feels like I'm dealing with someone with multiple personality disorder.

Paul Josephson

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Even though it doesn't apply to me (because I have 1+ TB space with that great Office deal) I always thought this downgrade to 5GB was bone head move (even with that convoluted apology that allows you to keep your current storage if you jump through a few hoops.) By most accounts most people don't even use 5GB before the move. But, the optics of this are just bad. I am sure Microsoft want to sell you the Office package or get you to buy more space. It is simply a problem that not providing 15Gb is not very competitive with Google and more than likely people will go elsewhere for storage or even move to another phone OS to get better base storage support. Let's not forget that Google also allows unlimited uploads of pictures. Unlimited photo space is probably a lot more useful to most people than document space tat Microsoft seems to think everyone is using. Microsoft always like to throw the baby out with the bath water. They should have just rewritten the terms of use for those taking advantage of the system and then banned them for violating the terms. Reneging on deals like unlimited or downgraded basic storage is not something you want people to remember you by. It breeds distrust current customers for any other systems your provides for free or deals you provide at a good cost that they will continue onward and be supported. More importantly it provides ammo for competitors and those ugly trolls that are walking around in woods at night.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
So out of all the cloud base online storage which do you guys think offers the best value?

I say Box still. It gives you a lot for free and you can do oh so many things with it. Has great plug ins too. Like Box for Ofice. Seems to be a power cloud. I know I've hardly tapped into the potential.

wildb01

Oct 30, 2015
Visit site
I had opted in for the 15 gb storage and i still got email that their dropping to 5GB, is there someone else who got this mail despite opting in ?

I don't remember whether I received a email or saw it on the web somewhere. I have one account for my wife and o e for myself. I know I opted in on both the accounts same day. My wife's is fine mine is getting reduced.

I contacted Microsoft via chat twice and by phone once over the weekend. Both chats ended with everyone is going to be reduced to 5GB and the phone call ended with if I can find a email from Microsoft to get back to them.

Well no email on either my wife's or my account so guess its to bad for me.

Wildb

cosmicjourney

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
There's a real battle going on by cloud storage company's so...it will be interesting fight for the rights to store your data... I say bring it on

rkrams

Jul 28, 2015
Visit site
I don't remember whether I received a email or saw it on the web somewhere. I have one account for my wife and o e for myself. I know I opted in on both the accounts same day. My wife's is fine mine is getting reduced.

I contacted Microsoft via chat twice and by phone once over the weekend. Both chats ended with everyone is going to be reduced to 5GB and the phone call ended with if I can find a email from Microsoft to get back to them.

Well no email on either my wife's or my account so guess its to bad for me.

Wildb

well i too had a login chat going nowhere, to the extent that the customer care guy said onedrive bonus site as a third party site Wonering if @danrubino can post an article on this

calbro

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft seem to be very confident that they can burn a major bridge and get the customers to comeback with some sought of promotion. This is good news to the other storage competitors including Google. This is luring customers then take away which then cause customers to have to solve an issue to save untold numbers of gigabytes of data. They are chasing them away and I doubt they will return because who would want to have go through another transition of massive database of data.

emigrating

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft seem to be very confident that they can burn a major bridge and get the customers to comeback with some sought of promotion. This is good news to the other storage competitors including Google. This is luring customers then take away which then cause customers to have to solve an issue to save untold numbers of gigabytes of data. They are chasing them away and I doubt they will return because who would want to have go through another transition of massive database of data.

Meh.

Yes, they took away the unlimited storage (which, in reality) hadn't rolled out to many people anyhow. They rolled back the 15GB offer (which I believe was really only 7GB for new-ish customers anyway) to 5GB. They then emailed everyone affected, twice, giving them a heads up with a way to keep their additional free storage.

Here's the thing, most people didn't use more than 5GB anyway, and, AND, with the additional offers of bonus offers, Groove Music Pass and Office 365 storage everyone is pretty much covered anyway.

Sure, the situation was handled badly, no doubt, but the majority of people complaining their tits off do so without even being affected by the change.

I consider myself a fairly heavy user and I'm still only using 57GB. Granted, this is around 585GB less than I was using when I temporarily stored all my photos on OneDrive but...

The only change for me at the moment is that early next year my Office365 allocation will go down to 1TB from 10 and the Bing Bonus expires. Even then I'll be well within my limit. Hell, even if I reuploaded my photo collection I'd be safe.

OneDriveStorageDebacle.png

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2