Die hard windows fans

njikoka noel

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
NEVER!!!! It might not be my main, but it is always with me. Currently upgraded from the 1520 to the Alcatel 4S and now patiently waiting for the surface mobile. long live Windows phone!!!

wstanton

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Bought a new Lumia Icon (cheap!) to replace the old Lumia Icon a couple months ago when its battery died ... now locked into the last fast-lane upgrade that works w/ Icon, can't run Kindle ... but other than that, it's what I'm sticking with until it dies. When it dies, I'll choose again.

StophJ

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Are there any guys like me, trying the windows phone though facing apps gap and sometimes battery issues(for insiders). If so please comment in the forum.
I am never gonna give up on this device until the company itself shutdown the mobile business. I have no problem with the apps gap an I am happy to be a part of insider always.

I don't want to give up my Windows Phone but my 950XL is getting old and there aren't really any options. I may grab a note 8 in hopes of getting by until Microsoft offers something.

benjimola

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
Are there any guys like me, trying the windows phone though facing apps gap and sometimes battery issues(for insiders). If so please comment in the forum.
I am never gonna give up on this device until the company itself shutdown the mobile business. I have no problem with the apps gap an I am happy to be a part of insider always.

I have been using android 7.0 since my nephew crack my lumia 1020 screen and i got to admit after using adroid for 6 months... i miss windows mobile 10 and will surely fix the screen and go back to the best OS.

neilbey

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm never going to give up on it. However, some recently departed apps are making it tougher and tougher to stay on the platform. I'm currently on the L950XL, but am looking to switch to android once this one bites the dust (prolly a LG v30). Once MS comes out with a true pocketable and adaptable PC (win10 on ARM with c-shell) then I'll come back.

JimmyFal

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
That's an easy one. When I'm forced to by ATT giving up on it. My Lumia 950XL finally green screened on my, so i have an old 820 that is just fine, I also have a spare Lumia 640XL standing by. I stand fully insulted by Microsoft silence on the subject, it is one of the greatest slaps in the face ever by this company to its fan base. A total lack of respect. Pretty frustrating to watch people that have access to the Dona Sarkars and Myersons of the world brush over this question when they have them standing right in front of them.

I hope to see something this spring, if not I will continue my Stockholm Syndrome to the very end.

fishyuk

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
No problem with the app gap or battery life on my 950XL and being dual sim it is ideal for me. I briefly switched to my work SIM in an Android phone but now have both work and personal back in the 950XL.
I think I'll get another year out of the 950XL assuming it doesn't break which is great by me as its saving me from escalating phone costs for another year.
However I am expecting to have to chose between Apple and Android around this time next year sadly. Also, if my phone were to break now and couldn't be repaired then I'd have to move. I will not go backwards in camera quality and there isn't any windows phone that can match the 950XL/950. If Microsoft had given HP the 950XL camera module and tech I'd have had an X3 by now.

Caeric

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
I love my Elite x3 and the OS, but I'm starting to feel the app and device gap. The longer things go the more apparent it becomes, the most recent being when friends and family were giving their Zello info and I find it isn't available for my phone (I live in FL & this was for the hurricane). That added to the already growing frustration.

Unless MS pulls something amazing I think my next phone will be an Android for no other reason than the universal support it has, for both apps and devices.

gregsedwards

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
I guess at this point, I'm in it for the long haul. I have an iPhone 6 and various Android tablets (no phones), but I still prefer my Lumia 950. Like others have already said, I mostly use the stock Microsoft apps, Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter (which I actually prefer running in Edge, but I do sometimes use the app), and Amazon. Beyond those, I do just about everything via the browser. There's very little I care to do that is genuinely difficult with Windows Mobile. Snapchat isn't available in any form on Windows Mobile, but I care very little about Snapchat.
I just recently replaced a smashed screen so the thing looks brand new, but I suppose if Microsoft doesn't come out with something new by the time this thing eventually dies, then I'll probably move on to iPhone. My wife uses iPhone, and it turns out I really don't care about tweaking zillions of options enough to bother with Android.

Chad Barnett

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
I'd like to stay with Windows 10 mobile. But with little support it is hard to see myself being able to do so. I figure as soon as the few developers(Twitter for example) that currently support the OS stop updating the apps they have then I'll be forced to move on.

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
Lumia 640 (non-LTE) user here, running production version of W10M (Creator Update)

So far I'm cool using this phone, as long as Whatsapp still support it

If WhatsApp pulls the plug, it'll going be hard to find a platform that have Live Tile, Dark mode & Glance Screen

Roland Stoll

May 2, 2014
Visit site
For me it is still a shame on MS that they left so many true users in uncertain tides. Sure I could still hold on my windows phone - last one was a Lumia 950 - and yes, I still love it, but too many companies have left or never reached the windows mobile app store... e.g. I bought a DJI Mavic Pro drone last year - there is still no DJI Go app for windows phone. I contacted the DJI support several times, even offered myself as a beta tester... no way to get the DJI Go app for windows phone.

Honestly I still don't get it: MS had over 10% mobile market share here in Europe, in some countries even over 15% and still was rising. Then MS started with some rumors to hand over the windows mobile market to 3rd party companies and made clear, that no more mobile devices will be produced my MS themself. That was the killing shot imho, that was like leaving that market without guidance, without visions, without trust in MS mobile world. Many, I mean really many companies have left windows mobile already, and I am pretty sure that a lot of companies, who intended to invest in windows mobile apps, have changed their plans to never release their apps also on windows phone. Today the mobile market share of MS is somewhere of 2% in Europe caused by MS (bad) strategy and marketing...

So for me, it is not only the (pour) options for hardware / devices, it's the lack of trust and vision companies have right now in windows mobile... and for me as a customer to see the truth that some apps will never be launched on windows mobile... :(

I gave my Lumia 950 to my mum and using an iPhone 7 plus as my daily driver... unfortunately...

ryuh3d

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site

I will consider leaving Windows Mobile once my 950XL breaks, but I don't feel like I need a "new" phone right now. How I use my phone and watching others use their iPhones/Androids -- I do not feel like I am really missing anything outside of a few apps.

GlennEdwards

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Whenever tweeting in defence of Windows Phone / Mobile, I always use the hashtag #lastmanstanding . though I feel I won't be alone and be the actual last person in the world still using Windows Mobile.

I for one still love my Windows Phone. I've had a Windows Phone since they launched back in Oct 2010. Starting with the Samsung Omnia 7, then the Lumia 800, 930, and now the 950. My wife is the same, she started with the Omnia 7, then the 820, 920, and now she has a 950XL and loves it.

Neither of us will be switching to another platform anytime soon. Far from it. Neither of us have any kind of app gap. If anyone says "app gap" to me, I just reply with "what app gap". For me I have all the apps I need and required, and new apps come out all the time. Sure I know the other platforms have more apps, and get them first, but I'm happy.

We have high-end devices, that perform well, run great games, and the OS is way nicer than the rival platforms. I've used an iPhone and Android device a handful of times, and I can safely say I do prefer Windows Mobile. The UI is so much nicer, slicker, and more pleasant to use. iPhones are painful to use, and Android, well it's not exactly an interesting UI is it, just a sea of static icons. Live tiles add so much more to the experience and bring my phone alive!!

Also for myself, and my wife, our phones just integrate into our lives and home environment in a better way. We're pretty much a Microsoft household, with multiple Windows 10 devices, PC's, tablets, Xbox One etc. Not an iOS or Android device in sight ;-) Windows Mobile just works better for us.

If my phone broke today, and couldn't be repaired. Would i go out and buy an iPhone or Android phone. No, definitely not. I'd most likely buy a 950XL new if I can, if now used, or might get myself a brand spanking new HP Elite X3.

So to answer the question, what would make me switch to another platform. Hmmmm... I think if Microsoft categorically stated that Windows 10 Mobile was no more (which they have not done), and the app and game ecosystem dried up completely, to the point of any new software being released, then I would go and get a Samsung Galaxy S8..

But Windows 10 Mobile is still alive, they are still updating it via the Insider program, and new apps and games are released frequently. For example Gameloft just released War Planet, a pretty big game title for iOS, Android, and Windows 10 Mobile. Windows 10 Mobile isn't dead at all.

Yes the hardware has dried up a little, as all you can get now is the HP Elite X3, Alcatel Idol 4S, and two new mid devices launched at IFA just this month. I hold out hope for whatever Microsoft is doing with Windows 10 on ARM, and CShell. I believe that Microsoft will launch a WIn10 on ARM device that is in a mobile phone form factor, and with CShell it will basically look like Windows 10 Mobile.

Zac Bowden showed CShell running on a phone, and it had a "feature" where it would show a dialog saying it can't run "Silverlight" apps. Why would Microsoft write this new code and CShell etc if they aren't planning to use it somewhere.

#lastmanstanding

Geez63

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
Like the rest of you I am carrying on for as long as possible. I have two Lumia 950s, one has a dodgy microphone so I use it for sport tracking with cycle tracks GPS. Sadly after the last w10m update this stopped working. I have joined insiders in the hope of getting an early fix. Also have a 1020 which runs the App in the mean time. Everything else still works fine, Office, Maps, Camscanner are all perfect for business. Photography is as good as the latest iPhones. 4k video with stabilisation. Connect wirelessly to my tv. Connect to my USB 3.0 mini adapter and use wireless keyboard mouse monitor and hard drive. Tubecast is a brilliant youtube app. GMaps Pro to run google maps. I'll be using Windows for a while yet and will probably get an HP elite x3 when they are nearly giving them away.

Zombies Aaargh

Apr 14, 2017
Visit site
I'm going to use my Lumia until it physically falls apart, then I'm going to use my other Lumia until that falls apart. Then I'm going to buy a used Lumia off of eBay.

There are only two things that could get me to switch away from Windows as a phone OS these being no longer being able to buy the batteries and no longer being able to use email or the internet on my phone.

That, and Microsoft releasing a sub $250 phone with a better version of Windows.

jeffgeno

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
If everything on the phone worked perfectly, I'd be happy. But there are so many times when it's just not working right, especially the camera, which is the main draw. I know it's not mine since my wife has the exact same Lumia 950 and we have the exact same issues....

- Turn it on and it doesn't react to touch. You have to blank the screen and turn it back on.
- Nothing on the screen at all when you turn it on, but the iris scanner is operating. Again, hit the power button and turn it back on.
- Launching the camera goes to a blank viewfinder, or one that's entirely out of focus. Kill the camera app and relaunch.
- Push the shutter button and watch it freeze for 15 seconds, eventually taking a picture of your leg or whatever you happen to be pointing at later. Subsequent photos work fine.
- Open an email from the Action Center and get an entirely different email. The one from the Action Center is still marked as read.
- Facebook notifications? What Facebook notifications?
- Try to post a picture from Instagram and get the camera roll to show. And try again... and again... and again.... finally it works.

I love the interface and the camera quality when it actually works, it's just getting harder to keep using something that frustrates me for the basic tasks.

Cosmin Petrenciuc

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
I use a Lumia 950 XL without the Dock. I'm on production build and I have on my smartphone most of the apps that I need. I think I'll wait until May, 2018 to see if Microsoft or one of its OEM partners will release a mobile device that is always connected, can make phone calls using the GSM network and has a screen no bigger than 6 inches. I really like the live tile concept and I would like to continue to use it.
But if in May next year the Windows Mobile platform is in the same troubled position, then I will probably buy myself an LG V30 smartphone from my mobile operator Vodafone Romania.
By the way, if Microsoft will continue to ignore the mobile operators and not promote harder its products through local mobile operators I will be even more tempted to switch sides.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
otispit