Who is still using a Windows Phone? Honest Question.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
My 950 does everything I need it too - navigation, browsing, social media. Cortana's intergration is nice for handsfree texts, and the PC intergration is nice too.

People mostly use 4-6 apps, and I don't live on my phone. Why would I bother with android with its dearth of advertising, or apple with its locked in system?

I only came recently into windows, and it makes sense for me. I think people are wasting a lot of money on phones TBH. They are handy, but they don't impress me much. I'd rather have a killer PC, or laptop, or even tablet - something with some real power.

Some people act like phones are a genuine status symbol. That boat sailed awhile ago now. They ain't even that.

Presumably MS will release something phone sized some time, with PC capability. Probably a flip dual screen with stylus. Eventually when the time comes down, I might go there. But really I'm just not that enamoured with phones. It's just a tool, it's not really "fun". For it to be fun, it'd actually have to be different, and they ain't they are all pretty similar.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
I don't expect them not to cover the alternatives or the launchers/services for said platforms. What surprised me was how quick they went from geeking out on an early woa build to completely ignoring it. This sort of thing used to be their deal. I'm not surprised at all by the lack of coverage on Win10mo at all.

Yeah they seem to have virtually ignored windows on arm. Kinda weird that IMO.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Some people act like phones are a genuine status symbol. That boat sailed awhile ago now. They ain't even that.

IDK, the only place I read or hear about phones being a status symbol is on a Microsoft fan forum such as this one. I think your line quoted above is needed here as much as anywhere! :wink:

Pairadyce

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
Although I made the switch to Android awhile ago, I understand your frustration. Yet, we all know that W10M as we know it is on its way out. I don't think it is reasonable to expect tech journalist professionals to keep promoting a dying platform.

Their expertise are better used getting us onto what's coming next. WoA you say? Well, who knows when, or even if, that will happen? We have iOS, and we have Android, right now. Those two are the only viable alternatives for someone looking to move on.

Sure, W10M still works. But it has been becoming, and will continue to become, less viable. Maybe WoA or whatever is coming next will be here before W10M is gone completely; maybe it won't. Either way, for most people it's time to move ahead. Don't expect Dan and Zac to spend their time giving us workarounds to keep W10M working.

I do want to hear about what's next but do you not think that every tech writer claiming the OS is dead, contributed a bit to the attempted crowd-funded devices (albeit the specs were underwhelming af)? If there is nothing to report on, then don't report. There are no Band articles yet that section still exists for some reason. I'm not saying don't report on happenings in Android or IOS but don't start off your Microsoft Launcher article with "Since W10M is dead...." or your IOS Cortana article with "Since 10M is dead..." talk about the topic and stop reiterating the same thing.

I said in one of my comments that a company I was at bought 50 Windows 6.5 devices for couriers and warehousing. That ecosystem is technically dead but don't tell that to the companies still building software and supporting them and I don't have to read about it in every new Google and Apply article.

PAC757

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
OK well after a few years I went back to Windows Mobile, just started using my Lumia 735 on Verizon, been 4 hours and I'm done, pulling out the Sim card and putting it back in my Samsung S7. I didn't realize you can not longer send picture text messages, vital part of my job, and visual voicemail is more longer supported either. Verizon seems to try purposely to kill off Windows phone users. Wasted time calling Verizon as there is not a single employee in business support that actually knows anything about windows mobile OS. Oh well guess my windows phones are going on ebay, probably sell for a whole whopping $25

Claudio HLA

Sep 7, 2016
Visit site
I use my L950XL has the main driver. I will be moving soon to a discounted Elite X3 that bought but the camera and camera button is keeping me from committing to the X3. So I guess I’m set for the next two years unless something really disastrous happens....and then I will evaluate the mobile landscape and move to something else.

Herb53

Dec 28, 2014
Visit site
I have been holding out for a long time. I love my Lumia Icon. I feel that camera still outshines most current smartphone cameras out there. I'll truly miss the live tiles and everything else that is left on Windows Phone but I ordered a brand new Pixel 2 XL Saturday night. If Microsoft can come up with something new then I'll be back.

IdleMind

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
Still using my 950, and HP Elite phones. I don't see a need to switch. It does everything I want it to do. I can talk, text, browse the web, check the weather, and play Sudoku & 2048. Now if I couldn't play 2048 I might have to start looking. LoL But seriously, I don't have any lack using my phone so it's all good with me.

Jordi Macias

Feb 29, 2016
Visit site
HP x3 Elite until it breaks. Considered replacing it, looked around, but did not find anything compelling. Waiting (hoping?) for the ultramobile PC with telephony...

justpickaname

Jan 22, 2018
Visit site
In recent months I've tried out android and ios to see which one I would prefer. Couldn't handle either one. I'm hanging on to my 950 til it disintegrates, at which point i'll probably go back to a landline or writing letters.

My 950 with its Mozo cover (which should have come standard) still get's compliments to this day.

Tarkietheboss

Jan 22, 2018
Visit site
I use my 950XL as it's my phone, I have a worked supplied Samsung and hate it.

My wife uses her 950.

We will use them till they become unusable or a suitable replacement becomes available, we hope they will be phone sized devices that run full blown W10 with telephony, my personal favourite will be that we can port our mobile numbers to our Windows accounts so we could then make calls to and from any PC like our Surfaces and Xbox's as well as the smaller devices.

I'm using 950xl and I'm so happy to got it, the only thing I really don't like its about pasticky case, so disappointed but in other order I'm so supported, fast with wide screen best camera definition well enough reasons to keep with my 950xl, I'm not looking for another phone at least till one with more than 20mpx and wp10 and windows hello and good battery life and screen def appears on scene I can't believe people getting so excited looking for new iPhone and Samsung Galaxy but they are still round 12mpx God we are on 2018! I used to take pics on 12 mpxl with a nokia n8... Im still on microsoft because i belive in. (sorry for my English grammar )

badger810

Apr 13, 2016
Visit site
I have just upgraded my L640 for the L650. Win10 mobile still has all the apps I need for, email, banking and social media, etc. I can't afford an iphone with decent enough storage and can't seem to bring myself to move to Android just yet. Whilst my apps are still working and get the occasional updates, as well as the phone getting the MS security updates, I am happy to stay on Win10 Mobile till the bitter end.

judithen

Apr 7, 2016
Visit site
Actually use 2 Windows Phones: 950xl and Alcatel Idol 4s. The 950xl is my primary phone and the Idol 4s is my Windows Mobile Insiders phone.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
IDK, the only place I read or hear about phones being a status symbol is on a Microsoft fan forum such as this one. I think your line quoted above is needed here as much as anywhere! :wink:

Agreed. You don’t hear Apple fans saying this but people here knocking them because they think that’s why they bought the Phone. Or the “closed ecosystem” argument which is silly also.
There is nothing wrong with using a phone, Windows, Apple, or Google because you like it best. We need to stop with the biased comments.

Peter1984

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site
I've had iPhones 3/4/5/6/X, Samsungs, HTC's, Blackberries and simultanously owned pretty much every major Lumia, 920, 930, 950 (x2) and 2 950 XLs.

I love windows phone 10, fully intergrated with one.drive and Office apps. My work got my a sweet deal with One.drive so i sport for free the 200 GB of storage.

I love it. I can share excel and photos with my family whilst the UI is just a breath of fresh air. I love how i can change it when i get bored, move to high contrast and back (its good at night when your screen is far too bright, even on the lowest brightness option).

I love the features and apps, especially baconit (reddit app). Having used so many devices I can say confidentally that baconit is the best reddit app across ios/android/WP10.

I am so disappointed that MS hasn't launched a new device. I appreciate that they need UWP so they can run 32-bit and 64-bit Windows desktop apps on their next mobility device but come on, this wait is just ridiculous.

I find the politics at MS to be part of the problem. Satya Nadella wants to destroy Ballmer's WP10 simply because Ballmer was its sponsor. Satya is chucking the baby out with the baby water because he hates the baby's father.

Which scares me because this makes me suspect that the Surface Phone (for the want of a better name) will have a new UI.

My money is on a 2018 launch.

madsetter

Jan 23, 2018
Visit site
I jumped into the smartphone fray with a Lumia 900. I fell in love with a ZuneHD back in the day and thought that interface would rock on a phone. The Nokia/Windows Phone announcement came months after and I patiently waited. I picked up a 900 on day one, replacing it with a 1020 on its day one. I retired the 1020 about a year ago when the issues it had with Windows 10 Mobile were just too much. I was able to find a NIB green 1520 and that is still my primary phone.

That said, I picked up an Android Sony XA1 Plus last month so I could access about a handful of apps. It's a smaller phone and I don't mind carrying two of them.

cocopops

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
My parents and I were using Lumia's until my dads fell in a pool and mums 920 started disintegrating, so they have now have Samsung S8's and a Lg G6. I am still using my 950xl.

Feedback from both have been the Android system is cumbersome to use and has too many sub menus and settings. The apps have too many adverts and their are too many homescreens (swipe left or right).

I needed to set these up for them and concur with what they have said, its such a cumbersome operating system. Will stick to my Lumia until key apps dont have support (Instagram) as I run a business on there.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes