Advice Needed For Selecting Tablet

Paritosh Rai

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
Hey Everyone,

I am in the process of selecting a Windows Tablet for myself. It will be mostly a consumption device to complement my Lumia 1020 - surfing the web, reading books, video calling, videos, music, light gaming, some document editing on the go. I have my heart set on the Dell Venue 8 Pro. I like it over the others (Acer Iconia W4, iPad Mini, iPad Air) because:-
1.) Exceptional processing prowess - blows the other options away
2.) Windows 8.1 as a truly integrating OS; would link well with my Lumia1020 easily
3.) Only decent tablet with 3G connectivity option - i am from India and there is no Surface Pro3. Iconia W4 does come with 3G but the processor is not as powerful.
4.) value for money - i am getting a 64GB, Wifi+3G config., & expandability via SD cards, at a lesser price than an iPad with same connectivity and just 16GB of storage.

I just wanted to understand a few things before I go ahead with my purchase. So if you guys could help me out that would be really appreciated:-

1.) How easy/difficult it is to output from the Venue 8 Pro to a tv screen/projector? What additional accessories would I need?
2.) What are the best bluetooth keyboard cases and stylus that I can look to purchase for the tablet?
3.) any other watch outs in terms of limitations that I should be beware of before I press the 'buy' button?

Would love to hear your thoughts/experiences on the subject.

Thanks!

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
1.) How easy/difficult it is to output from the Venue 8 Pro to a tv screen/projector? What additional accessories would I need?

Not at all difficult. If I am watching Plex, I can simply cast to my WD HD or XBOX3..wirelessly.

2.) What are the best bluetooth keyboard cases and stylus that I can look to purchase for the tablet?

I like the chicklet style keyboard so I like the one from Logitech, the K810 if you like independance but if you want to tricked out case, go with the Fintie Blade X1 Dell Venue 8 Pro (Windows 8.1) Keyboard Case

3.) any other watch outs in terms of limitations that I should be beware of before I press the 'buy' button?
I have one. I don't have major issues with it except I forget that if it sleeps long enough, it'll shut down. You might think something is wrong but all you need do is press the button to restart it.

Nerdy Woman

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site

Paritosh Rai

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your quick responses Jazmac and Nerdy Woman!

Not at all difficult. If I am watching Plex, I can simply cast to my WD HD or XBOX3..wirelessly.
So basically you are using the Miracast technology for it, right? What if I don't want to use Miracast? Are there any convertors/adaptors that I can use?

Also are you using a case/cover for it? Does it have the ability of being 'put to sleep' when I flip the cover?

Paritosh Rai

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
I just ordered a Dell Venue 8 Pro!! I did something adventurous - One of my friends is currently visiting Sydney, Australia. I checked the Dell Australia website and realised that they are running a promotion where the you get a free upgrade to the Keyboard Cover. I checked the 3G specifications on the India site and found that they were the same. So i ordered it from there along with the Active Stylus. The only thing I have risked is the warranty but I am keeping my fingers crossed that I don't get a lemon. In all it cost me even less than what it would've cost me in India even without the accessories. I hope everything goes alright and I can have the sweet bundle by end of next week when my friend returns home.

Paritosh Rai

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
So I received my DVP8 today. Will be setting it up over the weekend. I wanted to ask you what all accessories would you recommend for getting the best out of the DVP8? I already have the Dell Keyboard Case and the stylus. I am planning to order the following:-
1.) Scratchguard for the screen
2.) USB OTG cable

What else should I buy to enhance the experience? I am looking at memeory cards but would like to know which brand have you guys gone with and recommend? Also some recommendations on additional accessories like charging hubs etc would help a lot.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon