Windows Hello "Couldn't turn on camera"

Emma North

Jan 17, 2017
Visit site
Update: I fixed this on my HP Envy x360 by taking the following steps:

• Computer Management
  • Device Manager
  • Imaging Devices
  • Right-click on HP IR Camera (or whatever yours is called)
  • Scan for hardware changes (obviously you can automatically update the driver here if you haven't tried that already)
  • Then I heard a USB disconnecting sound and Imaging Devices disappeared completely so there was obviously an issue with the camera connection
  • Reinstalled the driver by searching my model number on HP's drivers site
It's now all sorted for me, hope that helps someone!

Update AGAIN!

After a reboot it's back to not working so I'm back to square one. Would love to hear if anyone has found a fix for this yet.

Sharbat jan

Jan 18, 2017
Visit site
@ Emma North
I just bought the HP envy xp 360 as well and had the same problem. Your post helped me in fixing the problem. I did the following steps:
  • Settings
  • Devices
  • Connected devices
  • In ''other devices'' click on HP IR Camera, then click ''delete device''
  • Go to HP website, select support, software and drivers, give model number, select ''driver keyboard mouse and input devices'', Driver for HP IR Camera (Windows 10 v1607), download and install this driver
  • After the driver is installed and the laptop is rebooted i went on to settings to install windows hello and the camera worked without problem.
My geek side is much happier now that i can login with my face, hope this helps you guys and thanks @Emma North for putting me on the right track.

elberethe

Mar 13, 2017
Visit site
Update: I fixed this on my HP Envy x360 by taking the following steps:

• Computer Management
  • Device Manager
  • Imaging Devices
  • Right-click on HP IR Camera (or whatever yours is called)
  • Scan for hardware changes (obviously you can automatically update the driver here if you haven't tried that already)
  • Then I heard a USB disconnecting sound and Imaging Devices disappeared completely so there was obviously an issue with the camera connection
  • Reinstalled the driver by searching my model number on HP's drivers site

It's now all sorted for me, hope that helps someone!

This worked for me using an Inspiron 15 5000 Series. I had 3 Imaging Devices; ran scan on each, nothing happened. Driver update, first 2 ok but 3rd device (Camera Virtual Driver) updated. Restart and camera worked. Hope it holds.

Apr 14, 2017
Visit site
Hello everyone!

Got the same issue on my Alienware 15 R3 after the Creators update on Windows 10, the IR Camera was not able to be turned on and thus Windows Hello stopped working.
Tried everything everyone done so far without success, but what ended with a solution (so far, fingers crossed) is just to reinstall the Realtek IR Camera latest driver of Dell drivers download page.

Hope that, if you didn't try, this helps you!

By now, I've rebooted the notebook twice and keeps working fine, Tobii Eye Tracker IR keeps blinking as was doing before, so I'm very happy, hehe.

Well, looking forward in that you get this solved ASAP.

Cheers.

panchoroms

Dec 14, 2016
Visit site
Hi!

For anyone who this could worth, i have a Mini Lap Lanix Lt Neuron, and i was having the same issue, it only takes one step, simply activate the camera, either by hiting FN + F10 , Fn + F11 or Fn + F12.

Problem solved!

Last edited:

AD27

Jul 16, 2017
Visit site
Surface pro 4
After update my windows hello was doing fine but can't use regular camera app, when I roll back the camera driver the camera app worked but windows hello won't here's what solved my problem:

windows hello camera won't turn on
Go to device manager - system devices - Microsoft ir camera front - roll back driver - restart

Camera app works, windows hello works

bella leboop

Aug 2, 2017
Visit site
I have an Asus Q524U laptop.

Yesterday I received the Anniversary Update, and ever since then the Facial Recognition fails at login. I get the "Couldn't Turn On Camera" error message, and them I'm redirected to use my PIN for login.

Searches across the interwebz don't seem to provide much help beyond the typical "Make sure your drivers are up to date" repsonses (however I haven't sifted through them all, because the search turns up a bazillion results).

I have confirmed drivers are up to date. Even reinstalled them just to be sure. I deleted my facial recognition and PIN login settings, rebooted, then re-added my PIN login. However the setup for facial recognition fails at Couldn't Turn On Camera. The camera works with all the other software/apps. Just not for Windows Hello.

Anybody else experience this and able to fix it? Any help would be appreciated.

Thx.

ikujore1

Jan 4, 2018
Visit site
I also have an HP x360 so assumed this would work. Followed all these steps, then went to my Hello settings and it's saying the camera can't be found. I've tried going into Device Drives and 'Imaging Devices' isn't even an option at all so I'm unable to then make any changes or updates to the HP IR camera like in the old method. I go into the Hello settings and it just says 'Couldn't turn on the camera. Make sure it's working properly'

Fenixas

Mar 10, 2018
Visit site
Hi

I solved problem by going in to privacy settings and switching on camera and microphone use for apps, i did switch those settings off before just to reduce system resource usage.
Hope that helps

windows-settings-privacy-camera and then microphone

skyflyt86

May 8, 2018
Visit site
I have a Dell laptop and fixed the problem adjusting Kaspersky Camera Protection Settings =D

This fixed the problem for me. In my case it was eset internet security's webcam protection was blocking webcam access for svchost.exe. once i changed eset to allow Hello started working as expected again. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes