12-11-2016 07:57 AM
78 1234
tools
    Well, I only have a couple of posts and only had the phone for a few days and the X3 has made me seriously consider getting an iPhone or Android when I very much hate both.
    Yes, now you have "a couple of posts" (3, to be specific). At the time, you had one post. Your very first post was to mirror the reasoning and behaviour of the OP to a tee (returned it after a day, disliking the box as if it mattered, buying an iPhone, and so on). It doesn't matter how much you add to it afterwards, that was what you did. I still smell sock puppet.

And as for your point about having support call you when there is an update - are you frigging kidding me? I don't need support to call me, nor do I want to pay for that kind of thing (either directly or indirectly). What a waste of resources.

Anyway, I'm done, Mr. "The box is too big and is not packaged like the consumer product I like, and I'm therefore returning my one-day-old X3 to buy an iPhone - just like the OP".
    Kevin Rush, Chintan Gohel and Narr like this.
    09-18-2016 06:25 AM
    Yes, now you have "a couple of posts" (3, to be specific). At the time, you had one post. Your very first post was to mirror the reasoning and behaviour of the OP to a tee (returned it after a day, disliking the box as if it mattered, buying an iPhone, and so on). It doesn't matter how much you add to it afterwards, that was what you did. I still smell sock puppet.
    I don't see the necessity to be rude.

You obviously didn't read my first post, because the one I returned was burning 6% battery on idle + after it crashed from recording a video, was stuck on the HP boot-up logo and got extremely hot and was thus returned. I still have my replacement Elite x3 in front of me and am very much trying to hold on to it, hopefully to see how this AU update is going to affect said performance.

The reality is, I will probably buy the 950 XL if this Elite x3 doesn't work out, but your only gripe is the suggestion of going to an iPhone that you clearly have personal grudges against and have no intentions of being objective in your posts. I also fail to see how considering my options when a benchmark for a 3000mAh phone made 3 years ago gives 26 hours of video playback /12hours streaming and the elite only pushes out 6 hours in equivalent battery capacity. It's also why I wanted to see if there were any official benchmark numbers pushed out for this phone, especially where said tests are done in equal fashion to other phones as it's hard for me to evaluate a QHD screen to a FHD screen in terms of battery consumption, and can therefore accept that my expectations are wrong.

I also fail to see how trying to get best value for money is any way "sock puppetry". I don't even know what the iPhone packaging looks like - I purchase entirely around specs and battery performance (hence owning the 1520 previous and buying in to the Elite x3 now) and packaging doesn't bother me, but the sheer size of the Elite's box does question how much was wasted on this aspect, considering the phone was considered to be "cheaper" because HP has no marketing or advertising campaign premium to offset. My first post was entirely about battery performance lol. If i buy a phone that says it lasts all day, I want it to last all day. Box was never ever a subject.

As to support calling me when the update comes out, it is by no means anything I personally requested or needed, but what the guy offered to do; one that I said I didn't need too. Though it is ironic you claim that it is wasteful and not something you wouldn't want to pay for even indirectly, yet that same argument is used around packaging and you go nuts over it?

To me it shows good PR, customer care and so on, which does go a long way. The box does look nice so I don't see how it is any different to other consumer packaging other than being oversized

You're trying to dismiss people's opinions purely based on their post count and trying to insinuate things based on this, while clearly not paying too much attention to what they have even written, as evident to your response to me. You're welcome to have your own opinion and your own arguments for or against something, but trying to dismiss people entirely because their views differs to yours, by using something such a post count which is entirely unrelated is just pointless, and this isn't including the clear bias and lack of objective assessment.

I mean, you slag the iPhone off and their users (which is purely discriminatory as you're trying to imply all iPhone users are brainless or whatever) and highlight defects or shortcomings - battery bulging, jack being removed, yet someone comes along complaining of phone issues with the elite - crashes, poor performance, and its "oh you have 1 post so you're obviously just a tool for not being in love with HP"

Not only is it the internet and what people say should be taken with a pinch of salt, exaggerating, sarcasm, satire are all valids means of making a point and not necessarily something to be taken as gospel.
    Last edited by Kogling; 09-18-2016 at 12:24 PM.
    09-18-2016 10:06 AM
    Performance (scrolling, tapping) is better on AU; I prefer RS2 though, as it fixes the camera crashing all the time (plus new Skype + SMS Relay).

What is really needed is FW from HP to further optimize the SD820 and Camera. Zac already detailed some of that update including double tap to wake and an iris/eye preview on the lock screen for Windows Hello. Clearly, HP has a lot of plans/features to bring to this device, but it will be a rollout process.

SD820 is new for W10M and I've heard it only has rudimentary support currently, just like any new chipset (happens on PC too when a new Intel processor is released, which is why you download a lot of updates from Dell, Lenovo, etc. in the proceeding months).
    09-18-2016 11:33 AM
    It also makes me think of that 700 premium, at least 100 is wasted on pointless packaging and shipping of empty ******* air which really pisses me off.
    I hope this is hyperbole. Otherwise, it's ridiculous, and you have no idea how much things cost (which would make all your comments on the value of the phone suspect). I agree that this box is comically big, but it's still just cardboard, the savings for a smaller box would have been minimal.
    09-18-2016 01:07 PM
    I don't see the necessity to be rude.
    I wasn't being rude. I was noticing a pattern and called you out on it.

I have reached a stage, though, where I can't be bothered to read the rest of your long posts, as I have begun to suspect that much of it is not real. And I still suspect a sock puppet.

But scrolling down to delete the rest of the post to quote the pertinent part, I notice you accuse me of slagging off iPhone users and you try to pretend that - even if it was true - was somehow "discriminatory". And that you apparently doesn't know what a sock puppet, nor what I meant when I wrote it, even though I explicitly said why I think "Kogling" is a sock puppet.

I also noticed that your last paragraph where you try to imply that one shouldn't believe that an opinion expressed on the internet is an actual opinion - way to cover your bases.

And with that I'll stop wasting my time with you.
    Kevin Rush likes this.
    09-18-2016 03:03 PM
    I hope this is hyperbole..
    The very next paragraph i said "but on a serious note"...

There is, however a fairly significant logistical cost involved in shipping. assuming they have produced more than just a handful that is.

I wasn't being rude. I was noticing a pattern and called you out on it.
    No, you called two other people out on it. I called you out on your flaky assumptions.

sock puppet

noun: sock puppet; plural noun: sock puppets; noun: sockpuppet; plural noun: sockpuppets

a person whose actions are controlled by another.
    "a brainless sock puppet who only knows what to say because his handlers feed him his lines"

a false online identity, typically created by a person or group in order to promote their own opinions or views.
    "both sides in the debate use sock puppets to make it seem as if scores of people are arguing a point"
    I'm very aware of what you're trying to imply with the phrase, and it would be deemed an insult to anyone who is generally not a puppet.

Also, a quote from you
    LOL, as if Apple's quality is particular good. People just convince themselves that it is, regardless of plugs becoming loose, batteries becoming "pregnant" (i.e. bulging), and so on
    To clarify what I was referring to. You're denying anyone who own apple products as having any idea what "quality" is, purely because you have deemed apple products inferior, and while value for money is largely short due to marketing costs and brand image involved , they've also been ahead of others too in some respects, so it's a largely baseless comment really that has no significance other than indicating your own hatred for apple.

I also noticed that your last paragraph where you try to imply that one shouldn't believe that an opinion expressed on the internet is an actual opinion - way to cover your bases.
    I mean, if you really think someone is going to switch to apple because a box was too big maybe you need to step aside from the internet imo.

untitled.png
    I mean, you seem fairly certain people of differing views to you are all one person, so here's my email showing my original purchase, return, and replacement all in line with my original /previous posts. I'm sure an admin can confirm My IP differs from the other accounts, but that is getting pretty petty and no doubt you'll say vpn or something.

You've really had no argument other than insinuating I've been writing under 3 accounts lol.
    09-18-2016 05:13 PM
    Way to read way more into what I say than what I say. I was a Mac user for more than two decades. And I have seen and heard all sorts of idiotic excuses for Apple's products, despite their shortcomings. After having received four different Powerbooks (yes, that was what they were called) replaced and "repaired" by Apple because they couldn't make the FW work properly all of a sudden, causing system freezes and whatnot, only to ditch FW with no warning all of a sudden (first time around), and then dumbed down Final Cut Pro, I decided to jump ship, despite all the new Apple users (consumers) thinking they got a computer for professionals, and made up all sorts of excuses - some of which I have already mentioned.

If you have not heard of the Apple Reality Distortion Field, and how people tend (or tended) to make excuses, regardless of reality, you have missed quite a lot.
    Jumping through hoops to meet a deadline, and then hearing excuses about how I should just live with it, how I should adjust my entire life to fit the whims of a tech company who shat on professional users (and have now forgotten all about them), is not about attacking Apple users. It is a response to someone posting a thread here talking about how he had a phone for a day, and that he will return it because the packaging is too big and he didn't like the speaker grill. Not only will he move to a different phone brand, but he will also buy into an entirely different PC system, so to speak.

And then you come along, with the same sort of story: Less than a day ownership of an (enterprise) phone, the same response is put forth: Crying about how an enterprise phone came in a biggish cardboard box, and how it should look like Apple's (consumer) phones, and that you will be moving on to an iPhone now.
    Of course, your story has changed a bit since that first post, but nonetheless, that was what I was reacting to.

Seriously, I didn't "insinuate" anything. I accused you of being a sock puppet for very good reasons, as I have now once again explained to you. Secondly, I didn't "insinuate" that you were one of three sock puppets, I accused you of being one sock puppet - one the OP had created.

And please stop moving the goalposts constantly. It's dishonest.

And no, I'm not going to give you a run-down of ALL the problems I have had with Apple and Macs, nor am I going to write down all the excuses I have heard over the years. If it offends you that I refer to my experiences and talk about groups of people, I think you need to grow some thicker skin.
    editguy likes this.
    09-18-2016 06:12 PM
    [WARN]That should be enough about puppetry. IP investigations do not support the theory.

Let's move on people.[/WARN]
    Danobe, Guytronic, Ozmand and 3 others like this.
    09-18-2016 06:12 PM
    Fair enough. I don't have any more to say anyway, lol :o)
    Chintan Gohel likes this.
    09-18-2016 06:17 PM
    OK, after a week and the new firmware. I am very glad I have this device. Heck, I even like the packaging....wasteful, but funny. The device is fast, smooth and connects everything. Continuum works fine. I can use the device on the old dock or the new dock. I can use the 950xl on either dock. Only real issues I have is in the enterprise configuration, some apps don't run with VPN.

I can see some people not liking a particular device based on personal likes and such. This device is absolutely the best Windows device I've ever had....period.
    09-27-2016 11:19 AM
    Just got the HP x3 Elite and its sitting right next to my 950 XL. I was amused by the packaging but not in the least troubled. We are not likely to be looking at a forest-eating volume of sales. The packaging did highlight the dock feature. The OP does raise a debatable issue -- whether the x3 is a significant enough upgrade over the 950XL to justify the cost. I wondered about it given DR's and Zac's initial impressions that there seemed to be only very slight performance improvements with x3 over the 950XL. And the camera issues.

I'm taking my time setting up the x3 but FWIW my first impressions have been favorable. I definitely noticed a significant improvement in the speed of app launching, scrolling (which was also significantly smoother with x3). I guess the recent updates have lengthened the x3's lead in these departments (which DR also indicated in follow up posts). And right out of the box the x3 had the feel of a much higher quality device than the 950XL which continues to feel "plasticky" and cheap to me. The x3 felt heavier and perhaps a little slick in the hands. I haven't even swapped out the sim and microsd cards yet, so we will see. My other initial impression is the x3 has tolerated the latest Fast Ring Insider Build very well. The x3 display seems noticeably larger and brighter.
    Daniel Rubino and libra89 like this.
    09-29-2016 04:04 PM
    After the newer review/firmware update, I'm kind of wanting an X3 now.
    Danobe likes this.
    09-29-2016 04:28 PM
    And wifi on the x3 is more stable and seems faster than on my 950 XL.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    09-30-2016 08:30 AM
    I love BlackBerry's BB10 most, but sadly it's on its death bed, so instead of moaning, I move on. I love the windows's live tile system.
    I agree completely here. Any time I get into a conversation about mobile OSs I always make sure to say how BB10 is literally the best OS on a phone today. There is absolutely no competitor that even comes close. Blackberry couldn't even get Android to function in a similar enough way to keep the Priv the hands of BB10 users. If Blackberry came out with a new phone running BB10, I would be all over it before getting a windows phone and I have loved WP since I loaded it onto my HD2. I am seriously torn right now on wanting the HP for all that is great about it, especially the IP67 rating and big battery; and the 950XL. Camera has always been the number one factor in choosing a phone for me and that is why I'm leaning toward the XL, unless this Surface event on the 26th churns out a Surface Phone.
    10-08-2016 12:05 AM
    unless this Surface event on the 26th churns out a Surface Phone.
    Don't hold your breath. With the AU, this phone has become my daily driver. Unlike the 950xl, the power button is in the right spot. Also, a 6" phone is the perfect size. Pulled out my Galaxy S6 yesterday and immediately hated it because of the size.

Sent from mTalk
    libra89 likes this.
    10-08-2016 05:26 PM
    I got the X3 when it was released at Microsoft Store, so fixes for camera and other earlier glitches have been dealt with. Prior to that, I tried the 950XL for a couple of weeks. My phone for the last two years is a Lumia 1020. My previous phone was a Sony Android. My wife and kids use iPhone 6 Plus, 6S, and 5, which I have played around with.

I like the build of the iPhones much better than any other phones. I like their cameras and photo apps better than the 1020's. But, I like Windows Mobile much better than Android and iOS; but then, I preferred HP's reverse polish notation calculators. So, for me, it came down to which Windows Phone I liked better, the 950XL or the X3.

The X3 is far better. Much, much longer battery life. Bigger screen. Faster Iris recognition. Faster in general (snappier?). It stays cooler than the 950XL. As for camera, I take photos for memories, not art, so the X3's camera is more than enough, for me, great. I do sorely miss the Lumias' hard shutter button and the ability to turn on the camera by just holding down the shutter button.

Definitely get the X3 over the 950XL, unless you need or want a smaller phone.
    Daniel Rubino and editguy like this.
    10-18-2016 01:12 AM
    I have to now give an unqualified recommendation to NOT switch to an X3.

The problem encountered just this morning is described here:
    Problem with OneDrive on X3 - HP Support Forum - 5811176

The raison d'tre for my considering the X3 is productivity. I don't have time to deal with glitches like this. Geez, I have business related files on OneDrive! I'm going back to a 950XL
    10-18-2016 02:07 PM
    I have to now give an unqualified recommendation to NOT switch to an X3.

The problem encountered just this morning is described here:
    Problem with OneDrive on X3 - HP Support Forum - 5811176

The raison d'tre for my considering the X3 is productivity. I don't have time to deal with glitches like this. Geez, I have business related files on OneDrive! I'm going back to a 950XL
    This is more an issue with OneDrive than the x3; in what world would the x3's hardware prevent specific OneDrive folders/files to show in the OneDrive app? There's no connection and moreover I doubt an ability to repeat (I have two Elite x3's both show OneDrive folders/files fine; haven't heard of similar complaints).
    editguy likes this.
    10-18-2016 02:41 PM
    You're right. It may not be the hardware. But, to me, what matter if it's the software? I'm just so pleased that the OneDrive files aren't wiped and are accessible from my 1020. I'll go back and try the 950XL. If no problem, I'll settle for that, cuz despite all that I like about the X3, I can't afford to have this type of problem. Perhaps I'll look at the X3 again after it's more mature, as the 950XL is.

To put things in context, I was willing to live with the problem I described here,

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/mobiledevices/forum/mdwindows-mdw10phone/chopped-of-words-in-elite-x3/9e6c7d90-8445-468e-8aff-86f72a7eb2ea

That doesn't affect my productivity.
    Last edited by karlo88; 10-18-2016 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Add more
    10-18-2016 03:09 PM
    You're right. It may not be the hardware. But, to me, what matter if it's the software?
    Well, it matters because there are no smartphones or computers without bugs, quirks, or even temporary oddities. Did you try to sign out of the OneDrive app and re-sign in?

I just find it odd you would set the bar so high "But, to me, what matter if it's the software?" and yet you're going back to the 950 XL, where you don't have a single quirk, bug, or issue? I guess it's possible, I just don't know anyone that has a 950 XL without at least one nagging thing.

You're posting here (welcome!), but didn't try to troubleshoot it for very long it seems. Obviously, use what you feel comfortable with, it just seems like an a odd thing to return a phone over.
    editguy likes this.
    10-18-2016 03:35 PM
    Yeah, I know what you mean. But, when you're in a meeting with a lawyer you're paying $600/hr for and can't pull up a document he ought to see, it's an issue.
    10-18-2016 04:55 PM
    Daniel, regarding signing out, I don't see a way to sign out of the OneDrive app from inside the app. I can't even uninstall it. I can't even see how to sign out of my Microsoft account on the phone. Clicking it in account's just takes me to my account through Edge browser.
    10-18-2016 05:34 PM
    Daniel, regarding signing out, I don't see a way to sign out of the OneDrive app from inside the app. I can't even uninstall it. I can't even see how to sign out of my Microsoft account on the phone. Clicking it in account's just takes me to my account through Edge browser.
    Open OneDrive app > Hamburger Menu > (Tap) Account Settings > (Tap) Your account > (Tap) Sign out

Close the app, restart device, open OneDrive and Sign in again. Could help.
    10-18-2016 08:17 PM
    Open OneDrive app > Hamburger Menu > (Tap) Account Settings > (Tap) Your account > (Tap) Sign out

Close the app, restart device, open OneDrive and Sign in again. Could help.
    Yes, thank you, that did it. The folders are now viewable. The pdf file is opened by Edge. Opening with Acrobat Reader, it opens, but "A system error was encountered" statement appears as one pages through each page document.

It appears the problem has something to do with Acrobat Reader and OneDrive interaction. Nevertheless, these are apps preinstalled, so they should work. I'm still leaning towards going back to a 950 XL, going with a general consumer device, and getting a better camera, getting a shutter button that can also turn on the camera, more like my 1020. Right, what's the point going to an X3 for the business benefits if it's not business-ready? And, for the corporate IT folks, when they start getting complaints from their folks in the field, wow, s__t hitting the fan.
    Last edited by karlo88; 10-19-2016 at 02:16 PM. Reason: hit post before writing
    Daniel Rubino likes this.
    10-19-2016 01:54 PM
    Wow, the Elite X3, and perhaps any phone running Windows 10, is truly not business-ready. I just tried opening a 50mb .pptx Powerpoint file residing on the now-functioning OneDrive app, thanks to Daniel, and the file will not open. It keeps downloading and downloading and downloading until it gives up. No problem opening the same file using my Lumia 1020 though. The X3 opens a 550kb .pptx file, but so does the 1020. At this point, I don't think the X3 is prosumer-ready, much less business-ready.

The Windows 10 Mobile build in all previous posts I've made here is 10.0.14393.321
    Last edited by karlo88; 10-19-2016 at 07:50 PM. Reason: Adding Windows 10 build, now Adding file size
    10-19-2016 05:03 PM
78 1234