HP7 Stream arrived today!

rkin92

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
I actually love the tablet, but I just got off the phone with HP for a replacement. I got mine from the Microsoft Store last Monday, and twice I got a pop-up message saying that Windows had to restart due to hard drive repair. Also, 2 other issues:

1. I get a very annoying hum when listening with headphones. It's loud enough to hear it not only when nothing is playing, but I can also hear it over any music or movie playing.
2. Wireless drops a lot. I'd be connected, then I'll try something in a Metro app, and it will tell me that I'm not connected. I'll stop/start wireless 3-4 times, then it works, even though the wireless icon says I am connected.

By the way, this tablet does have the light bleed from the bottom of the screen. It's not bad, but just enough to be annoying at times.

So hopefully the replacement will be better. I still like it...

Hum is on all of the devices I think.

The wifi issue is weird. I havent had that happen to me ironically.

I do have som pretty interesting light bleed, but because the tablet has it's brightness down usually i dont think I will return it.

Hope the next one is better!

Gaming Life

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
One thing that I immediately noticed is that in the corner and few other places on the screen there are a few pixels that can be easily seen. Though it is only on the desktop mode. Checked it in store too and they have the same issue. It is basically like few stuck pixels though it moves when switching from the metro interface to desktop. To try this I just kept the screen in portrait mode and put the recycle bin in the left corner towards the Hewellt Packard sign. Then look closely at the recycle bin, use might be able to see some kind of stuck pixels that kind of differ from the icon itself.

Everything else it works fine!!!!

slipslip

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I actually love the tablet, but I just got off the phone with HP for a replacement. I got mine from the Microsoft Store last Monday
Curious why you didn't just bring it back to the MS Store (did you buy online or in a retail store?) for a swap-out.

Partly I'm asking because I'm actually considering returning the Stream 8 I got at a MS retail store on 11/22. Overall the tablet is quite nice, but I was really put off by the app situation in the Window Store. (I wrote a post about that elsewhere in these forums.) I have a Kindle Fire HD (previous gen, so it doesn't have cameras/mic), so my "small tablet use case" is already pretty adequately fulfilled with that. I'm considering exchanging the Stream 8 for a Stream 11 or 13 laptop, or simply getting a refund if possible (and buying an SSD for my aging ThinkPad!)

I used to have a Nokia N800 "internet tablet" in the late 2000s, and while I liked that device for a lot of reasons, I suffered through too many third-party apps and missing apps (while the Apple App Store was burgeoning) to want to go through a situation like that again. I can accept the Windows Phone app selection and am mostly happy with my Lumia 521, but when I got to the Windows app store and couldn't find basic, longstanding, mainstream apps like Pandora, I was really surprised and disappointed. Thankfully there is still the option of going into the desktop and loading many of those apps in their website form, but they are not touch-optimized like a "Modern" app would be. What a shame that developers haven't committed to Windows 8 apps yet.

For other new Stream 7/8 owners, are you finding the apps you thought you'd find, or are you coming up short more often than not like I seem to be? And if you aren't using it for apps, what *are* you using it for?

Celandine

Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
For other new Stream 7/8 owners, are you finding the apps you thought you'd find, or are you coming up short more often than not like I seem to be? And if you aren't using it for apps, what *are* you using it for?

I use mine more as a media consumption device and reader. So, Netflix, Hulu Plus, Kindle, Audible, Comixology, Nook, Kobo, Overdrive, Songza, YouTube, Flixster, Twitter, and multiple games as they have quite a few great one in their store now. I use IE for web browsing and it works quite well.

I've found all the apps I need and use and am happy with my Stream 7.

mathsisbest

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys, I'm considering buying a hp stream 7. I heard it comes with office 365 personal... Does that mean that I can install office on one of my other laptops along with the hp stream 7? Thanks

k72

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys, I'm considering buying a hp stream 7. I heard it comes with office 365 personal... Does that mean that I can install office on one of my other laptops along with the hp stream 7? Thanks

Yup. Just make sure you use the same address to activate your 365 as the one you want to use with office.

I think in theory, you could activate a different account than the one your tablet is attached to if needed.

k72

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
The PC apps are lacking, but it hasn't been anything too major. The one app I have problems finding is a Bible app with the features I want. It's difficult on the phone too, but nearly impossible on the PC store to find one that works offline, allows copying, etc. I found one that works for me though (only one). I haven't really come across any other apps that have been a real annoyance yet. I know there have been several things that I couldn't find, but I can't remember what they were, so I figure they weren't super important to me. But then again, I also don't use all the social networking type of apps, so I don't know how things are with those.

I use the Kindle and internet explorer most of all. I like the IE app. I use it for browsing a lot. I do a bit in the desktop though. I really like that that is available. I'm in school and I find it very handy to do schoolwork using the desktop internet explorer so I can have my notes open in OneNote at the same time, side by side. Sometimes I just use the apps for those, depending on what kind of work I'm doing. I also installed Foxit reader and use that in the desktop to edit PDFs. I've considered installing the software we use for homework, but there is a limit to how detailed your work can be on the desktop as far as teensy things. I have found a stylus is so helpful for desktop stuff. I got the two pack of rubber-tipped ones from Bargain Depot on Amazon because they are narrower than a regular one and gave replaceable tips. I see they have metallic tips as well; I don't know if those are any better. These work pretty well, especially for the price.

I've also listened to some music. The sound is nice. Now that my case has arrived I will take the tablet with me more places and probably use it for movies/shows. I also plan on using it for OneNote, since right now I just use my phone when I need to take notes at church, meetings, shopping, etc. I also got a 10 inch Bluetooth keyboard that will be nice to use with it. Also, now that I have the case, I'll use it like my last tablet to prop up when I need a reference, like when I am knitting I use it for the pattern, or if I'm doing homework and need to refer to something particular, I can use this and keep the screen space on my laptop. Oh, and I have tapatalk so I can post here easily.

rfortson

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
I bought one at the MS store a couple of weeks ago, and I've really been impressed. Full Win 8.1 in my hand is pretty handy. I use it as an e-reader (nook, Kindle and Zinio) and it works great, even on magazines. Setting it up and have it automagically mimic my laptop desktop is pretty handy. Battery life seems fine to me, 6-7 hours, which makes sense for a full Windows device. I bought it with the HP cover, which is nicely made and doubles as a stand for landscape oriented reading. However, I ordered a case off of Amazon that comes with a BT keyboard and an OTG cable. Should be here by Monday. At that point, I think it will be a great device around the office as well.

As for apps, yeah the Windows store is a little lacking, but I could just install full programs if need be. While phone apps may not be critical for me, laptop programs are more readily available in the event an app is missing. Bottom line, I haven't found anything missing from what I want to do with a 7" tablet. Of course, YMMV.

When I get the case/keyboard, I'll give some pictures and feedback in case anyone else is looking for something like it.

Last edited:

slipslip

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Ended up returning the HP stream 8. Told a couple of employees at the MS store that one reason was that the app store was disappointing, and each of them kind of agreed and said they hoped that Windows 10 would help.
I think I am going to use that money to buy an SSD for my aging ThinkPad. Might even install windows 8.1 on it, so I guess MS will still get my money 😊

Last edited:

kg4icg

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Ended up returning the HP stream 8. Told a couple of employees at the MS store that one reason was that the app store was disappointing, and each of them kind of agreed and said they hoped that Windows 10 would help.
I think I am going to use that money to buy an SSD for my aging ThinkPad. Might even install windows 8.1 on it, so I guess MS will stop get my money ��
What a crock, why would you need apps for something that is a Pc.

mathsisbest

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
For hp stream 7/8, can we snap the screens, so have 2 windows open at once and multitasking. Can we do this both landscape and portrait?

How is the on-screen keyboard when we snap the screen.

Also can we use a Bluetooth keyboard. If we use one, will an on-screen keyboard pop up too?

FuzzyLogician

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
What a crock, why would you need apps for something that is a Pc.

Especially for small tablets, apps are a huge boon. Websites simply don't cater to touch. Menus are difficult because they often require a hover. Also, many services don't offer functionality through the web. You can't apply Instagram filters via the web or deposit a check. You need apps. The idea that apps are unnecessary on a full PC is a copout.

FuzzyLogician

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
For hp stream 7/8, can we snap the screens, so have 2 windows open at once and multitasking. Can we do this both landscape and portrait?

How is the on-screen keyboard when we snap the screen.

Also can we use a Bluetooth keyboard. If we use one, will an on-screen keyboard pop up too?

Split apps do work on the 7/8, but only horizontally. Windows does not support portrait splitting on any device. The onscreen keyboard still covers the full width of the device.

Bluetooth keyboard works great. The onscreen keyboard still pops up when you tap in a typable area, but it will automatically hide when you start typing on the physical keyboard.

kg4icg

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Just got my OTG cable and my class 10 Samsung SDXC UHS-1 64gb card. used the tablet to program one of my radio's. Works great on both accounts.

slipslip

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
HP Stream 8 is a Lightning Deal on Amazon (US) right now (currently 12:25 ET) for 139$ plus tax if applicable.

Even though I just returned my Stream 8 to the Microsoft Store, I have to admit that I'm tempted to rebuy at this price.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
otispit