SIM Security

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
On my Lumia 920, EE, UK, I am able to turn this on. I think SIM security may depend from carrier to carrier and if the SIM provides the PIN lock facility or not.

ratsttam

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Is there even a SIM in there to secure? The only SIM cards in CDMA devices I've ever seen were for "world phones" capable of connecting to foreign GSM networks.

Jonathan Cable

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
LTE phone use SIM cards. Sprint likes to call the UICC cards instead of SIM cards, but they are there. I have taken it out of the phone. Some of Sptints LTE phones have embedded SIMS and some have removable.

ratsttam

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
LTE phone use SIM cards. Sprint likes to call the UICC cards instead of SIM cards, but they are there. I have taken it out of the phone. Some of Sptints LTE phones have embedded SIMS and some have removable.
That makes sense. My friends Galaxy Nexus (Verizon CDMA) has a SIM card. My Galaxy Nexus (Sprint - duh) looks like there is a metal plate. I never tried to pry it off to see if there was a card under it, or if it was "hard wired" like the IMEI numbers on CDMA phones. How I wish I could just on the fly swap a card and use a different phone whenever I want, without having to go online or call to change them...

gollum18

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
Yes both sprint and Verizon phones all have sim cards. And as mentioned earlier some phones have removable sims and others don't.

With the phones that have non removable sims, they are soldered to the main board and linked to the imei. Force removing it will turn your phone into a paperweight.

With the phones that have removable sims, on Verizon most are sold internationally unlocked, but not domestic. And on sprint they are sold completely locked, with the owner being able to request an unlock for international use only after 90 days of having your account in good standing.

Within the next year or so, both sprint and Verizon will be switching to removable sims only, probably for modernization purposes. Not to mention the possibility of OEMS now selling phones with bands for all networks, like the HTC one.

I hope that cleared things up.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Jeffrey Moore1

Feb 18, 2016
Visit site
30 months later, I stumbled across this forum. I am still having this problem (not prompted for PIN, unable to enable SIM security). Did anyone ever resolve this?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon