Sprint Dealer Re-explains $10 charge

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
The other reason Sprint makes it confusing is they say the "everything data" plans have "unlimited data." Then they charge you $10/month more for "premium data." If "everything data" and "unlimited data" don't include "premium data," then they're neither "everything" nor "unlimited."

"everything data" is a plan "premium data" is an add on. They are not one in the same. If I have a phone that is not a smart phone and want unlimited data I get that plan. If I have a smart phone and want unlimited data then I have to get that plan and the premium add on. Why are we still going in circles about their plans not being unlimited? do you even have sprint?

This is not confusing...

I don't know what AT&T calls their plans, but I know Sprint is misleading with the names of their plans.[/QUOTE]

How else can we explain to people that sprints data plans are unlimited. No hard cap and no soft cap.

starblade876

Jan 14, 2010
grrrinders.com
"everything data" is a plan "premium data" is an add on. They are not one in the same. If I have a phone that is not a smart phone and want unlimited data I get that plan. If I have a smart phone and want unlimited data then I have to get that plan and the premium add on. Why are we still going in circles about their plans not being unlimited? do you even have sprint?

This is not confusing...

How else can we explain to people that sprints data plans are unlimited. No hard cap and no soft cap.
You're apparently confused. People aren't arguing whether it's unlimited or that Sprint is still priced better than others. There's no problem paying the extra $10. The argument is in the name.

If you have a plan called "Simply Everything," it should be simple and include everything for whoever gets the plan. When you start adding things, it becomes less simple and doesn't include everything if you can't get the plan without an extra add-on. For example, would it be simpler to ask you for the square root of 64 times 6 plus 3 minus 50 hamburgers or to ask you for 1 hambuger?

Separate the plans and call them Simply Everything Smart and Simply Everything Feature or something and include the $10 in the plan for smartphones and not for feature phones. In other words, Everything Feature = $99.99 and Everything Smart = $109.99 (not $99.99 + $10). SIMPLE.

Reactions: Rhody#WP

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
You're apparently confused. People aren't arguing whether it's unlimited or that Sprint is still priced better than others. There's no problem paying the extra $10. The argument is in the name.

If you have a plan called "Simply Everything," it should be simple and include everything for whoever gets the plan. When you start adding things, it becomes less simple and doesn't include everything if you can't get the plan without an extra add-on. For example, would it be simpler to ask you for the square root of 64 times 6 plus 3 minus 50 hamburgers or to ask you for 1 hambuger?

Separate the plans and call them Simply Everything Smart and Simply Everything Feature or something and include the $10 in the plan for smartphones and not for feature phones. In other words, Everything Feature = $99.99 and Everything Smart = $109.99 (not $99.99 + $10). SIMPLE.

I can quote you multiple posts in this thread of someone rambling about it not being unlimited.

as for the "everything feature" and "everything smart" that's more confusing right off the bat. Whats the difference between "feature" and "smart"? I imagine most people are automatically going to equate smart phones as being feature phones. If they thought about it long enough they could probably find a way to fork the plan that would make sense. If anything they should just call it everything unlimited/data smart phone.

Rhody#WP

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I can quote you multiple posts in this thread of someone rambling about it not being unlimited.

Nobody is saying that it is not "uncapped." That's the word they should use. The word "unlimited" has a much broader meaning. Any way they limit the way in which you receive data is a limit, not just the amount of data you receive.

If an ice cream store advertised "unlimited ice cream for $1" and then when you got there they told you that you can have unlimited ice cream... but you can only have vanilla and you have to eat it with chop sticks, well, that's a limit (actually two), isn't it? And if they charged another $1 if you want to eat it with a spoon, was it really unlimited in the first place? Any reasonable person would feel like he was mislead.

as for the "everything feature" and "everything smart" that's more confusing right off the bat. Whats the difference between "feature" and "smart"? I imagine most people are automatically going to equate smart phones as being feature phones. If they thought about it long enough they could probably find a way to fork the plan that would make sense. If anything they should just call it everything unlimited/data smart phone.

I think the distinction between feature phone and smart phone is clearer than the distinction between "premium" data and non-premium data. Anyway, it looks like you get the point. They could call it "everything unlimited for feature phones" and "everything unlimited for smart phones" and people would know what they're buying.

Paying one price for "unlimited data" and then paying extra for some "premium data" that's not included in "unlimited data" is inherently wrong and confusing.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
What would you call the family plans? Family Everything Feature, Family Everything Smartphone and Family Everything Mixed? If they change the individual plans, they'd have to change the family plans.

How hard is it to just say it's a premium data add on? The phone does more and it requires the $10 charge? Those saying that it should be split are in the minority, because most customers do not think that way and would get more people confused if they split the plans.

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Family plans share lines, why can't you add different types of lines? Smartphone line, feature line, the plan otherwise is priced the same. Currently it's 19.99 for a second smartphone line, why can't it be only $10-$15 for a feature phone line? (Verizon's additional lines are only $10 for feature phones last I checked)

Rhody#WP

May 3, 2011
Visit site
What would you call the family plans? Family Everything Feature, Family Everything Smartphone and Family Everything Mixed? If they change the individual plans, they'd have to change the family plans.

How hard is it to just say it's a premium data add on? The phone does more and it requires the $10 charge? Those saying that it should be split are in the minority, because most customers do not think that way and would get more people confused if they split the plans.

I guess I just don't understand this thinking. It's not an add-on, is it? What are they adding on?

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
I guess I just don't understand this thinking. It's not an add-on, is it? What are they adding on?

front facing camera for video calls, faster data, capacity to send larger files (5mp/8mp pics, 3D video, 720p/1080p video) and a lot of other things.

starblade876

Jan 14, 2010
grrrinders.com
how do you think they're being delivered by the device? if that's the case, turn data off and send away :blush:
I actually use wifi as much as I can because the "premium" data is very not premium by comparison. I tried video calls on 3G when I had an Evo and it would not connect reliably. Also, if video calls and video messaging are a large part of why we're paying for "premium" data, we're technically paying for Android users right now. In other words, that's some grade-A BS.

In truth, if I had a choice between a 5GB throttle cap with a $10 add-on if I go over and a forced $10 even if I use my "premium" data lightly, I'd most definitely choose the former. If they want to actually be good instead of the lesser of 4 evils, then maybe that's what they should do. Otherwise, they're still in the carrier "cartel."

As for the names for plans, I only gave a half-assed attempt. If consumers can't tell the difference between a smartphone and a feature phone, they need assistance and shouldn't be shopping without it. Separate the data portion from the voice portion if it makes naming easier. I'm not really in the mood to invest my time in coming up with a solution for them, especially when someone over there is supposed to get paid for such things.

Last edited:

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I actually use wifi as much as I can because the "premium" data is very not premium by comparison. I tried video calls on 3G when I had an Evo and it would not connect reliably. Also, if video calls and video messaging are a large part of why we're paying for "premium" data, we're technically paying for Android users right now. In other words, that's some grade-A BS.

by comparison to what? They aren't calling the data premium. The charge is a premium. I guess this is where it's important to know what a premium is. Anyway, Video this Android that. The premium is for increased data usage not what it is being used for in particular and I wouldn't say we are paying for Android users since we have Netflix.

In truth, if I had a choice between a 5GB throttle cap with a $10 add-on if I go over and a forced $10 even if I use my "premium" data lightly, I'd most definitely choose the former. If they want to actually be good instead of the lesser of 4 evils, then maybe that's what they should do. Otherwise, they're still in the carrier "cartel."

You can do that. its called AT&T. You better make sure your use your data lightly though because their overages are stiff. As for the rest of us we will enjoy unlimited data that doesn't get kicked down to edge after a soft cap. Y'know.. those of us that are always streaming something/Netflix, etc.

As for the names for plans, I only gave a half-assed attempt. If consumers can't tell the difference between a smartphone and a feature phone, they need assistance and shouldn't be shopping without it. Separate the data portion from the voice portion if it makes naming easier. I'm not really in the mood to invest my time in coming up with a solution for them, especially when someone over there is supposed to get paid for such things.

It already is separated. The confusion is over unlimited data for a feature phone vs. the premium for smart phones. They should stop calling it an add on since that is redundant anyway. The term "premium" kinda covers it.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site

You're referring to video calls only, but I wasn't. I gave more examples, but it's not limited to the ones I mentioned. You're paying for better 3G/4G coverage, R&D, phone exclusives (EVO series, Photon, Arrive, etc), increased data usage that smartphones use (better camera = more data being transferred) and the list goes on.

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
It's not about the cost once again! It's about saying I'll buy this car as you point to the price sticker, then when you go sit down they say oh hey now the car costs a little more! It's a terrible way to do business and of course it leaves a sour feeling. But most of all, it's very easy to fix so why not do it? What possible downside could there be to just adjusting their pricing unless of course it makes them look less competitive, which reveals the true reason they do it in this sneaky way.

tiny

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
This thread is still going?

I don't think anyone can argue Sprint's pricing, but I think most can agree that the way they approached this $10 charge was probably not the most tactful.

Can we all agree on that?

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
"Would you like our unlimited A plan or would you like to pay additional for our unlimited B plan?"
"Well what's the difference?"
"There is no difference silly, they're both unlimited!"

Look I like Sprint, I just ported over five lines and am about to do a sixth as well as start up service with the View 4G as soon as it arrives. But there's a better way to do this, one that won't be leaving people with a "huh?" look on their face or sourly handing over more money in $10 increments. To put it in perspective, four of the lines I mentioned above are smartphones. So I come over from Verizon and I see family plan pricing and I'm like hot damn I'm gonna save a bunch. Then further in the monthly price goes up by $40 for really no reason other than "you chose the thing that makes us get to charge you more!" Suddenly I am far less excited and even feeling a bit hornswaggled (that's the technical term). I don't now get double unlimited extra service and I didn't even get bumped up to that gold Premiere thingie with that additional $40, which would go a decent way in terms of swallowing the pill because then there'd be a positive associated with it.

Barely missing the $125 credit for all of those lines because I ported in earlier than that program also made me shake my fist, but that's just bad luck. :p

Last edited:

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
That's just it, how can you have "increased data usage" above "unlimited data"?

You're right. Not only do feature phones and smart phones use the same amount of data in a month but hardware vendors pay sprint to update and maintain their infrastructure to handle the not increased load and employees work for free!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon