Do you have the M8 for WP tell us what you think!

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
After a few days with the phone, I am amazed at how long the battery lasts (looking straight at you Lumia Icon w/ 8.1 sitting on my desk). I had 55% today when I left work, which is about double the best I got with my Icon.

tbolt76

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I got The One on Friday as a replacement for my Icon.
The HTC One is slimmer and a lot better looking than the Icon.
As far as performance, with WP 8.1 on both, there is not really a distinguishable difference.
Having the SD slot is probably the number one reason I jumped from the Nokia (added a 128GB immediately).
The soft keys (charm bar?) is a plus, but do take a bit to get used to.
One thing I already miss from The Icon is the dedicated camera button.
Although the camera launch was slow, it was nice to be able to launch from sleep mode/lock screen.
This leads me to what I really want to talk about, the cameras.
The camera, which is the big sticking point from what I have seen, is not as huge of a difference as it is made to be.
The HTC camera app for one, is significantly better than Nokia's app, and you need to use that to take advantage of the refocus and 3D features.
The camera is overall faster at taking pictures, press to shot, but the focus is a tad bit slower.
Once you get the image, in focus, they come out sharp and color accurate.
The exposure seems to be about 1/3 of a stop dark, but I like my pictures a tad dark, so it is not a problem for me.
In the HTC (as well as the Windows) camera app, you can adjust the exposure compensation, so it is an easy fix.
My biggest complaint or missing feature, is being able to crop the image while maintain a fairly usable image.
There is no contest, with eth 20MP shooter on the Icon, I could do a 50% crop and still have a clean, usable image.
With the HTC there is little room for enlarging the image (aka digital zooming).
Although, with the larger pixels on the HTC camera, low light performance is better.
While you may see people mention that the images are just as dark, where the HTC One shines is getting better details in the dark settings, with less noise.
All in all, The HTC One and Icon perform nearly the same. The biggest difference is form factor, the camera and the external speakers.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
I posted this in another thread. I only had my HTC One for a couple of days. Yesterday I put in a 13 hr day at work. Used my M8 - what I would consider moderate use but probably most would think is lite use - and forgot to charge my phone over night when I went to bed. Got up this morning and it still had a 50% charge. My 8x would never been able to do that.

lparsons21

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Just got back from the Verizon store and after playing around with the Icon and the M8, the M8 went in my pocket!!

What a sweet phone! I'm coming from an iPhone 5 and it is so nice to have some real color and pop on the screen. The bigger screen makes typing almost OK for my fat fingers. It will take a bit of getting used to as things are so different. But as of right now, I LIKE IT!!

Sent from my 23-n010 using Tapatalk

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Just got back from the Verizon store and after playing around with the Icon and the M8, the M8 went in my pocket!!

What a sweet phone! I'm coming from an iPhone 5 and it is so nice to have some real color and pop on the screen. The bigger screen makes typing almost OK for my fat fingers. It will take a bit of getting used to as things are so different. But as of right now, I LIKE IT!!

Sent from my 23-n010 using Tapatalk

Welcome to Windows Phone! :D

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site

scotiez

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
I picked up my HTC One M8 on Thursday the 21st. I was on IPhone 4s then the IPhone 5 for the last 3 years but I was getting tired of Apple. Plus I have word documents that are secured with a password and my iphones would not open them. I wasted money on apps that say they could open them and they never worked. So I went to the Verizon store cause I was checking out phones online and I wanted to see the HTC One M8 in person, The store didn't even have one out on display. I had to ask about it and since they couldn't show me how it was to operate I took my partners word for it cause he has had a windows phone for several years now. So far I am very happy with the HTC One M8, Its great on battery life, Larger screen, and it syncs so well with my laptop and desktop cause both of them have windows 8.1. OHHH and the most important thing.... It opens up my secured word documents. I am very happy. I will probably be with a windows phone for a very long time now.

microhaxo#WP

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
How is the HTC Camera app buggy? Could you explain?

Lots of bugs.
• If you take a photo and immediately try to look at the result, it force closes. Waiting 3 seconds before viewing prevents the crash.
• if you take a photo and view it (waiting 3 seconds to prevent crash) and you delete it. After confirming you want to delete it, often the image goes away, you are shown a black screen with the ability to delete, share or edit, the image is gone so clicking any of those options crashes the app.
• af and ev lock occurs when you tap to focus but hold your finger on the spot. Normally a good behavior but it doesn't work at all. It actually breaks af completely. After doing so you are unable to re focus on anything unless you completely close the app and re open. There is no way to unlock af and ev lock once you enable it.

Just to name a few.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I picked up my HTC One M8 on Thursday the 21st. I was on IPhone 4s then the IPhone 5 for the last 3 years but I was getting tired of Apple. Plus I have word documents that are secured with a password and my iphones would not open them. I wasted money on apps that say they could open them and they never worked. So I went to the Verizon store cause I was checking out phones online and I wanted to see the HTC One M8 in person, The store didn't even have one out on display. I had to ask about it and since they couldn't show me how it was to operate I took my partners word for it cause he has had a windows phone for several years now. So far I am very happy with the HTC One M8, Its great on battery life, Larger screen, and it syncs so well with my laptop and desktop cause both of them have windows 8.1. OHHH and the most important thing.... It opens up my secured word documents. I am very happy. I will probably be with a windows phone for a very long time now.

Like I said to someone else, welcome to Windows Phone!

And your device when I click your avatar on the website says you have the Android M8, not the WP M8.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Lots of bugs.
? If you take a photo and immediately try to look at the result, it force closes. Waiting 3 seconds before viewing prevents the crash.
? if you take a photo and view it (waiting 3 seconds to prevent crash) and you delete it. After confirming you want to delete it, often the image goes away, you are shown a black screen with the ability to delete, share or edit, the image is gone so clicking any of those options crashes the app.
? af and ev lock occurs when you tap to focus but hold your finger on the spot. Normally a good behavior but it doesn't work at all. It actually breaks af completely. After doing so you are unable to re focus on anything unless you completely close the app and re open. There is no way to unlock af and ev lock once you enable it.

Just to name a few.

Have you reported this to HTC?

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Well since there's no dedicated camera button i keep it onscreen rather than the HTC cam. It's default enough for me that way

What about action center? If you press the camera button in action center, does it go to your default camera app, or always the Microsoft camera?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon