The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
12-23-2014 01:13 PM
70 123
tools
    Pretty much everything that is coming from Denim .....Not to mention if you are able to upgrade to a higher end Lumia, you'll be receiving Hey Cortana which the M8 does not have.[/B]
    While a Lumia requires Denim (and capable CPU) to get Hey Cortana, I haven't seen anything that said this will be an exclusive Lumia feature. The M8 is capable of Hey Cortana.

I'd bypass the M8 for a Lumia if I were you or if your 822 is running smoothly stick with it and wait for amazing Lumia hardware to come out for Win10...But the icon is an awesome device and I am going to see if I can get one myself at full price since it is unlocked.
    The key word above is 'wait'. Wait for Amber, Black, Cyan, Denim... Wait for 8.0. Wait for 8.1... Wait for 10. It's always waiting. The M8 is an excellent phone now. I got tired of waiting for a mid to high end Lumia to come to T-Mobile so I went with the M8. Also, like with T-Mobile, there's no guarantee that Verizon will get a high-end Lumia with Win10.
    link68759, bmetelsky and cbreze like this.
    12-22-2014 01:45 PM
    While a Lumia requires Denim (and capable CPU) to get Hey Cortana, I haven't seen anything that said this will be an exclusive Lumia feature. The M8 is capable of Hey Cortana.

The key word above is 'wait'. Wait for Amber, Black, Cyan, Denim... Wait for 8.0. Wait for 8.1... Wait for 10. It's always waiting. The M8 is an excellent phone now. I got tired of waiting for a mid to high end Lumia to come to T-Mobile so I went with the M8. Also, like with T-Mobile, there's no guarantee that Verizon will get a high-end Lumia with Win10.
    Apparently the hey Cortana feature is dependent on sensorcore which I don't think the m8 has.
    12-22-2014 02:09 PM
    Better get an exorcist to compel that demon M8 out of the house, then...
    Trying to get him to go 1520 so we shall see ;) but he does like the phone. But actually what bothers him is the phone is too slippery but doesn't like cases.
    12-22-2014 02:12 PM
    sixseven and ajb1965 like this.
    12-22-2014 04:47 PM
    About a week ago, I switched from my ICON - Verizon - with 8.0 OS (latest update) to the HTC One (M8) - Verizon - with "8.1 with Update" OS, which includes Cortana of course (no clue what 'Hey Cortana' is ?).

I was basically forced to do so because of the well documented problem with the ICON of 'sudden battery drain', rendering the phone unreliable.
    This cost me $91 to end my Edge program early on the ICON (trust me, I will get VZN to credit this back shortly).
    Anyway ...

What you *might* miss:

Dedicated camera button.

5 MP cam instead of 20 MP cam.

Power button is on Top instead of on the side with the Volume button. WTF?
    This makes it a TAD more inconvenient to unlock the phone with your right hand when you pull it out of your pocket, or want to put in in lock mode.
    Good news: HTC has a double tap option to wake up, and I installed the 'Nice Lock' app to lock directly from desktop. So, overall ... actually better than ICON.

Headphone jack is on the Bottom instead of on the Top of the phone.
    This means if you have a 'kickstand' case like I to, the phone cannot be sitting vertically with a headphone plugged in. Another WTF ?

Another subtle thing. My "Bluetooth +" app does not show Off/On in its 'live tile' like it did on the ICON. No clue why. A minor disappointment.

Also, seems IE is getting 'hung up', in that suddenly shortcuts that I have tied to IE to bring up web pages end up with an error basically indicating that I do not have an internet connection. Not sure what's going on here yet. Reboot fixes it.

Upsides from switching:

"8.1 with Update" OS

Cortana (very cool)

Ringer volume and Vibrator intensity are 1000 times louder/stronger on the HTC than the ICON, where both were virtually non existent.
    Whereas standby battery life on the ICON was good, it appears to be 2x on the HTC. So far ... ... ... I have not encountered the 'sudden battery drain' issue. If I do, and it persists, I'm done with Windows Phone (and I am a Microsoft MVP!) ...and I will switch to a Droid Turbo !

Speakers

So .... that's what I can tell you ...

===
    12-22-2014 04:48 PM
    Unfortunately that's because Verizon has been horrible with releasing updates and the one m8 ships with wp8.1 that doesn't mean you wont have to wait forever for wp10 (hopefully not).
    12-22-2014 05:32 PM
    If their past history tells us anything I would say HTC owners will have to wait a great deal of time for firmware updates. And with wp10 that means many Nokia owners will be enjoying wp10 for months and months before HTC owners get it.
    Pure speculation. The icon is still on the OEM 8 and that's pretty much what this thread is discussing, icon vs M8. As someone said "time will tell".
    Since there is one M8 and many lumias the odds are in favor of a Lumia getting the update first. I wonder if the leaked M9(?) will arrive before a new flagship Lumia.
    12-22-2014 06:58 PM
    "Pure speculation."
    Well, I don't know about that. Where is CYAN (for ICON) months later ?
    Meanwhile M8 (Verizon at least) had 8.1 w/Update out of the box.

= = =
    12-22-2014 07:14 PM
    Customer service.

I have a HTC 8X and live in England, not trolling. If you live in the US and are planning to get the w8 on the most popular carrier over there then maybe... Just maybe you may have a decent time. Otherwise, avoid like the plague, no kidding.
    Nogitsune Micah likes this.
    12-22-2014 08:50 PM
    Why were my posts deleted? I posted about the HTC Assurance program. Adrynalyne responded with the Tommy Boy reference. Is there some Lumia fanboy mod that deleted them? If so, that is BEYOND STUPID. We are all on the same team. I have T-Mobile Jump, and I expect to go back to a Lumia/Microsoft device with Windows 10.

There was NOTHING inappropriate about my posts. Nothing that violated the rules.
    Adrynalyne likes this.
    12-22-2014 09:49 PM
    Why were my posts deleted? I posted about the HTC Assurance program. Adrynalyne responded with the Tommy Boy reference. Is there some Lumia fanboy mod that deleted them? If so, that is BEYOND STUPID. We are all on the same team. I have T-Mobile Jump, and I expect to go back to a Lumia/Microsoft device with Windows 10.

There was NOTHING inappropriate about my posts. Nothing that violated the rules.
    We're on the same team and you're using Lumia fan boy as an insult? I think it has to do with the fact you probably spammed posted(as you admitted) to get the 10 posts to post a link.
    12-22-2014 09:53 PM
    We're on the same team and you're using Lumia fan boy as an insult? I think it has to do with the fact you probably spammed posted(as you admitted) to get the 10 posts to post a link.
    You don't get it. It's not an insult. People like you seem to think there is such granular differences between Lumia and Non-lumia. I've had both. The experience on both is great. The point of my post was that if someone was such a lumia fanboy that they deleted my posts, that is indeed beyond stupid.

And since you asked... A mod send me a PM saying my post with the URL was approved. Then it was deleted hours later.
    12-22-2014 09:58 PM
    OP, you may not be missing much in making the jump.

I owned a 920, then a 925 and a 8x. Surprisingly, the 8X is still my favorite of those three. Yes, Nokia has a better camera but outside that, the HTC for my taste was a little better. I now own a 1520.3 and the camera feels like the 925 I had...ok but not as stellar as the 920 felt. Maybe Denim may cha he my mind, but with MSFT pulling the strings officially, I'm not holding my breath.

People need to stop drinking the Lumia koolaid so hard. The only advantage Lumia now has is the camera sensor on their high end models and the fact that MSFT will put out the custom firmware still. Jumping from a Lumia to a HTC you're not missing as much...but it depends on your needs. If camera is important, Nokia is ahead. Otherwise, everything else is the same.

The saddest thing I've seen is people comparing the 830 to the One and picking the 830 over it. That was such a joke.
    Adrynalyne likes this.
    12-22-2014 10:09 PM
    [Warn] Alright, I'm going to say this once. Enough with the flame baiting and name calling. If we cannot constructively answer OP question without name calling or flame baiting then this thread will be closed and points will be issued. [/warn]
    12-22-2014 10:23 PM
    You don't get it. It's not an insult. People like you seem to think there is such granular differences between Lumia and Non-lumia. I've had both. The experience on both is great. The point of my post was that if someone was such a lumia fanboy that they deleted my posts, that is indeed beyond stupid.

And since you asked... A mod send me a PM saying my post with the URL was approved. Then it was deleted hours later.
    HTC Assurance is offensive, apparently :p
    sixseven likes this.
    12-22-2014 10:40 PM
    My post was deleted as well, although i did use the curse word "damn".
    12-22-2014 11:22 PM
    OP, you may not be missing much in making the jump.

I owned a 920, then a 925 and a 8x. Surprisingly, the 8X is still my favorite of those three. Yes, Nokia has a better camera but outside that, the HTC for my taste was a little better. I now own a 1520.3 and the camera feels like the 925 I had...ok but not as stellar as the 920 felt. Maybe Denim may cha he my mind, but with MSFT pulling the strings officially, I'm not holding my breath.

People need to stop drinking the Lumia koolaid so hard. The only advantage Lumia now has is the camera sensor on their high end models and the fact that MSFT will put out the custom firmware still. Jumping from a Lumia to a HTC you're not missing as much...but it depends on your needs. If camera is important, Nokia is ahead. Otherwise, everything else is the same.

The saddest thing I've seen is people comparing the 830 to the One and picking the 830 over it. That was such a joke.
    How exactly is that a joke if you just said that it depends on your needs? Just because they didn't choose the m8, its a joke? I mean you literally just started the sentence with that only to end it with "that was a joke."

One could say that about choosing a non Lumia over a Lumia as well.
    12-23-2014 01:05 AM
    look's like micah's post was deleted, but he questioned how nokia was playing catchup with firmware.
    We've had this exact conversation before, micah, and you accepted my exact position on this subject before, too. Not sure why you've suddenly forgotten my position on this subject.
    Nokia playing catchup includes the following:
    Glance
    Bluetooth LE
    Miracast

I might have missed one or two, but you get the idea. Things that a firmware update brought (nearly two years later for some of those features) that really should have been features the phones launched with. Miracast relies on a specific wifi-direct chipset that literally sat in some phones for two years unused because there were no drivers. Phones like my Lumia 820 have wifi-direct chipsets but were arbitrarily not given miracast firmware, so there is literally unused hardware in the 820 and several other lumias.

Now, this is not entirely nokia's fault, since WP8.0 did not support miracast and perhaps BTLE so they could not have been included on the phone's release, so they had to wait for 8.1. Still, my point is that the inclusion of these huge and functionality expanding features in firmware updates has indeed given an illusion of grandeur. Now that all of the hardware has been properly supported, firmware updates can not possibly contain as much as they did before, and they will likely come less often- what else could they possibly do? Realistically, the only thing firmware will include from here on out is slightly improving camera speed and otherwise tweaking the way the camera works.

Meanwhile, the HTC One already has miracast, it already has BTLE, it has the dotview case- the device is not missing any drivers like ALL Lumias were. All Lumias received most of the missing drivers- great! But if your position is that "you'll be missing updates by going away from Lumia", you argument relies on a bubble trend that has recently popped.
    sixseven likes this.
    12-23-2014 03:39 AM
    Surprised that no one mentioned the sunlight readability on the Lumia 1520 surpasses every phone out there. Perfect for watching movie in a brightly lit environment.
    12-23-2014 03:50 AM
    Surprised that no one mentioned the sunlight readability on the Lumia 1520 surpasses every phone out there. Perfect for watching movie in a brightly lit environment.
    I forgot all about that tbh. And super sensitive touch. Features I am used to regularly but never think about.

I love productive innovations like that they benefit all users especially those in colder climate areas vs a gimmick like front facing speakers lol
    12-23-2014 07:33 AM
    Cons: The camera, regardless of what app you use or enhancement settings, Nokia wins hands down. Better auto lighting. Camera button (HTC does not have one) and the power button is more conveniently located at the side vs the top on the HTC which for me leads to a lot of accidental screen shot images in my photo library.
    Pros: Better battery life, Windows 8.1, curved feel vs. the typical heavy Nokia brick design, speakers look cool but meh, they sound okay, dot view case is also, meh, attentive phone setting though there is a beta app now that does some similar things, Navigation bar settings for hiding the bar or matching your theme, not a huge thing but still kind of cool. Still active and not retired yet, I see it on display in my local Verizon stores, can't say the same for the Icon.
    12-23-2014 08:14 AM
    I am really interested in the HTC One for Windows however I am worried that there are a lot of exclusive Nokia features I will be missing out on. I own a Lumia 822 and I just love all of the extra features and apps Nokia (Microsoft) has given my device.

What features will I miss out on if I switch?

What features are in this phone (or any HTC phone) that are exclusive to this phone (or HTC)?
    Silent Night, there are a few VERY vocal people on this thread. I might be considered one of them... Here's my opinion that I am giving to you. I came from a Lumia 810, which is a cousin to your 822. The One kicks the snot of the 810.

Pros compare to the 810/822:

* SPEED. You're gonna be blown away.
    * Battery life. On my 810, I would be at 10% or less by the end of the day. The last two days I ended the day at 50% on the One.
    * The camera on the One is vastly superior to the 810. Taking pictures is almost instant and the output is outstanding. On my 810, I would press, focus, and wait. Often the wait was so long that the people would move or stop smiling.
    * The included software is actually pretty fun. I am using the HTC camera instead of the generic camera app. Photo Edit and Video Highlights are surprisingly useful. Blinkfeed is nothing special. I prefer the MSN News app, but maybe that's because I'm used to it. I've set up the Sense TV app, but I doubt I'll use it. SmartGlass is better.
    * If you're not running Dev Preview, your gonna love 8.1 too.
    * At first I thought the dot view case was gimmicky, but it's really grown on me as something that's useful. I like interacting with the phone while the case is closed. You can answer, talk, and end a call while the case is closed. This keeps your screen much cleaner.

Cons compared to the 810/822:

* No dedicated camera button. This is my top complaint. My workaround it to pin the HTC Camera app to the top right corner on the home screen.
    * You need to decide what Lumia exclusive apps you like, and what you need. For me, I pretty much only used MixRadio and Drive+. Drive+ is available on the One, but MixRadio is not. (although that could change soon, now that Microsoft sold it.) Pandora has been an acceptable alternative, as I rarely need music offline.
    * If you bought an optional wireless charging cover/plate, you'll miss that. I do miss wireless charging, but it's not that big of a deal.
    * Viewing in sunlight. The 810 has clearblack, and I think the 822 does as well. Not a big deal to me.

Hope this is helpful. These decisions aren't permanent. You can get a One now, and switch to a future Lumia later. If you're on Verizon, you could go with the 1520. For me, that is too big. 4.7-5.0 is the right screen size for me.
    12-23-2014 08:16 AM
    If you're going to give the OP advice at least make it somewhat sound.

What does walking into a store and seeing the display have to do with it being a Pro and better than Nokia? Come on now.

As far as your Pros

1. Icon is announced to be getting Windows Phone 8.1 with Denim...so that's nill
    2. Battery Life.....Is subjective
    3. The Curved feel vs Nokia feel...subjective to you....So you cant count that as a pro or a con OVERALL except only to yourself
    4. As you said there is a Gestures app for Lumia that does the same thing so no point really mentioning Attentive settings really.
    5. Navigation Bar really isn't a Pro or a Con. Isn't that on all Windows Phone(not just hTC) that have on screen buttons.

Most of your Pros for the M8 are either already on the Lumia or just subjective to you. At best, if you take out the Camera from Lumia and the support and OS updates both phones are exactly equal to each other.......
    Cons: The camera, regardless of what app you use or enhancement settings, Nokia wins hands down. Better auto lighting. Camera button (HTC does not have one) and the power button is more conveniently located at the side vs the top on the HTC which for me leads to a lot of accidental screen shot images in my photo library.
    Pros: Better battery life, Windows 8.1, curved feel vs. the typical heavy Nokia brick design, speakers look cool but meh, they sound okay, dot view case is also, meh, attentive phone setting though there is a beta app now that does some similar things, Navigation bar settings for hiding the bar or matching your theme, not a huge thing but still kind of cool. Still active and not retired yet, I see it on display in my local Verizon stores, can't say the same for the Icon.
    link68759 likes this.
    12-23-2014 08:30 AM
    Icon is announced to be getting Denim? Right on time my friend, can't wait. Glad they skipped Cyan.
    I owned the Icon as well as the 928 so I can compare the two with constructive criticism and I think I did that. OP can go into the store and play around with the HTC and test my Pros and see if they are true.
    You on the other hand just jump all over anyone saying anything negative about Nokia...
    And walking into a store and seeing the HTC means it is still supported, a Pro, not abandoned after 8 months like the Icon, a Con.
    Last edited by drufranco; 12-23-2014 at 08:51 AM.
    12-23-2014 08:40 AM
    Icon is announced to be getting Denim? Right on time my friend, can't wait. Glad they skipped Cyan.
    I owned the Icon as well as the 928 so I can compare the two with constructive criticism and I think I did that. OP can go into the store and play around with the HTC and test my Pros and see if they are true.
    You on the other hand just jump all over anyone saying anything negative about Nokia...
    And walking into a store and seeing the HTC means it is still supported, a Pro, not abandoned after 8 months like the Icon, a Con.
    HTC guaranteed 2 years of support and updates as well. Icon didn't even get a year and still will not see Denim until some time next year.
    12-23-2014 09:04 AM
70 123