AT&T limiting network speed on their Titan?

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
So, I used the Bandwidth app and tried a large download (8mb).

It gave me somewhat different, and weird results.

I got 4.45 Mbps down and 1.02 Mbps up.

The weird part was that the vast majority of the downloading time, it hovered around 2 Mbps. But there was a spike at around 14 Mbps second that lasted about a half second. And there were also spikes at around 5-7 Mbps. Also, for split seconds. So that probably skewed the numbers.

Last edited:

Billone

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Here are some additional data points. I ran these tests from the same location (far west Chicago suburbs), at the same time, with some coworkers phones. I'm just listing the download speed ranges. All phones are on AT&T. We had 3-4 bars.

Focus (original one, a little over a year old): 600-800 Kbps
iPhone 4: 900-1400 Kbps
iPhone 4S: 1000-1900
Titan: 1000-1900

We ran a few tests, but didn't have time to run dozens of iterations. The consensus was that:
- within minutes, or even seconds, there could be a pretty big swing in connections speed
- the iphone 4S and Titan seemed to have comparable connections speeds
- the iPhone 4 was about 20-25% slower
- the Focus was about 50% slower

I've rounded some numbers to keep it simple. Based on what I saw today (who knows what the numbers would look like tomorrow) I don't feel that there are any WP7 or Titan specific connection issues. That doesn't mean I'm happy with the alleged 4g speeds, but thats an overall AT&T issue.

Also, doing a quick search, I found a relatively new discussion thread here: Very very very slow hspa+ data speeds on Iphone 4S - AT&T Community Support

So, some iPhone 4s owners have been seeing issues with hspa+ speed on AT&T.

Does anyone know how long atts hspa+ has been deployed?

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
My area has supposedly had HSPA+ for 11 months. It obviously never got the enhanced backhaul to utilize it, since I'm getting average speeds, even for 3G.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for sharing that iPhone 4S link, Billone. Its nice to see that we're not alone in our network troubles. One guy said that his 4S topped out at 0.3. Ouch! So maybe ATT needs to get on the ball and figure out what's wrong with their "4G."

Rocket_Girl

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I thought iPhone did not yet produce a 4G device. All their devices, on all carriers, are maximum 3G. That was one of the huge letdowns with the latest device-that-was-not-iPhone-5-after-all..

pdagal

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
The iPhone 4S has HSPA+ 14.4 just like the Titan. AT&T calls that 4G, though Apple does not.

I thought iPhone did not yet produce a 4G device. All their devices, on all carriers, are maximum 3G. That was one of the huge letdowns with the latest device-that-was-not-iPhone-5-after-all..

gpsi

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Hi guys...
Been following the thread, seeing if there are any developments. I love my Titan...everything about the phone from the super sleek hardware to the well thought out OS is stunning. But I've been upset with the data speeds, so I reached out to Ben Rudolph from the WP team on twitter. He said he will get in touch with AT&T and HTC regarding our issues. Check out his twitter to see our interaction, https://twitter.com/BenThePCGuy. My twitter handle is YerpItzGpsi : ).

Wooh!

aptmx45

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
Hi guys...
Been following the thread, seeing if there are any developments. I love my Titan...everything about the phone from the super sleek hardware to the well thought out OS is stunning. But I've been upset with the data speeds, so I reached out to Ben Rudolph from the WP team on twitter. He said he will get in touch with AT&T and HTC regarding our issues. Check out his twitter to see our interaction, https://twitter.com/BenThePCGuy. My twitter handle is YerpItzGpsi : ).

Wooh!
Awesome. Hope he finds out something for all of us suffering slow data speeds.

mdameron

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
[Using BandWidth] I'm in Fort Worth, which is supposed 4G country.

2 bars, "4G" stated: 2.34Mb down, .58 up
Full bars, "4G" stated: 2.62Mb down, .89 up
Wifi on 1.5Mb DSL: 1.23Mb down, .31Mb up

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I just retweeted. Looks like only 12 others have retweeted so far. :-(

With that said. I strangely lost all connection today for some reason. My phone was in Emergency Mode. I ended up switching it to airplane mode and then back again. In a few seconds that restored my connection.

Then I did a Bandwidth test and got a little over 4 Mbps. That's about twice as fast as before. lol. I wonder if AT&T did anything.

It's still REALLY SLOW for hspa+ though.

spokanedj

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
My Titan gets horrible Wi-Fi speeds for some reason. If I hook it up via USB to my Laptop (which is connected via Wi-Fi to same network), I can get 16Mb. However, connected to Wi-Fi directly, I'm lucky to get 3-4Mb. My girlfriend's Focus S on same Wi-Fi is getting 10-12Mb. However, the upload speeds on both phones are consistently 4Mb.

The Cellular Connection speeds are almost identical on both phones, around 4Mpb most of the time. So I'm actually getting BETTER performance from AT&T than my Wi-Fi.

Titan:
Zune: 16Mbps
AT&T: 4Mbps
Wi-Fi: 3Mbps

Focus S:
AT&T: 4Mbps
Wi-Fi: 10Mbps

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm not getting the WiFi issues some of you are having. On my home WiFi connection I consistently get around 15 Mbps.

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I bet it depends on router differences (channel, encryption choice, etc.). I use WPA2-PSK which may very well slow it down. My up and down is about the same, which is not normal (down is lower than it should be). But I am FAR more worried about the 4G.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos