07-29-2012 07:27 AM
127 12345 ...
tools
    I started a thread on HTC's forums. I still need to call them, but hoping to drum up some traffic and thereby some awareness for HTC on this issue.

No Data Service upon return to US - HTC Trophy (Verizon) - Windows Phone Forums - HTC Community

Also posted on Microsoft Answers now:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...2-0e0d194bb102
    Last edited by mcetlinski; 12-01-2011 at 09:19 AM. Reason: Added Microsoft Answers link
    braindoc likes this.
    12-01-2011 09:11 AM
    Got a response on the Microsoft Forum. They suggested running the HTC Setup app, I figured that it was worth a shot in the hopes that HTC has updated it. Keep in mind that my phone was fine and I'm just doing this to test out the app. I ran the Connection Setup application, and voila! no more 3G data connection as has been reported by many.

Now that it's in the fubar'd state I'll see if HTC can't help me out. ;)
    12-01-2011 11:31 AM
    Got a response on the Microsoft Forum. They suggested running the HTC Setup app, I figured that it was worth a shot in the hopes that HTC has updated it. Keep in mind that my phone was fine and I'm just doing this to test out the app. I ran the Connection Setup application, and voila! no more 3G data connection as has been reported by many.

Now that it's in the fubar'd state I'll see if HTC can't help me out. ;)
    Yeah, don't run Connection Setup as it's known to break 3G. Don't install it either because it runs whenever your phone reboots.

The funny thing is that they pulled Connection Setup for a while. I thought for sure it was to fix this issue. But it's back now, it's a new version and it still breaks 3G. Not sure what HTC was thinking there. Don't they do any testing?
    12-01-2011 11:41 AM
    I did jump ship. Needed fully global WP7 phone. I am still following to see how this turns out...good luck!!
    12-01-2011 11:52 AM
    I spoke with HTC and they found that the "APN" for Verizon is missing. This is what the Connection Setup (according to the tech I spoke with) is supposed to fill out. She said that they do not have Verizon's APN on record which is why the Connection Setup app breaks it.

I'll continue to drop updates. I'm calling Verizon next to get the APN. After that if it does fix it I'll see if I can't get some sort of escalation with HTC to get a fix.

If it was just me no problem, but with this potentially affecting the other executives in my company it's a very big problem.
    12-01-2011 11:56 AM
    I now have a ticket open with Verizon that is with their Data Network team. They are also opening a ticket as a carrier with HTC. Still no resolution, but this issue is being worked from the angle of resolving the issue without doing a reset.

As for the APN from Verizon, they informed me that this is not something that only the Data Network team has access to that information. So HTC did not give me a valid answer as I expected.

Now working on escalating this with my business account manager reps and their management team at Verizon.
    thed likes this.
    12-01-2011 12:39 PM
    I now have a ticket open with Verizon that is with their Data Network team. They are also opening a ticket as a carrier with HTC. Still no resolution, but this issue is being worked from the angle of resolving the issue without doing a reset.

As for the APN from Verizon, they informed me that this is not something that only the Data Network team has access to that information. So HTC did not give me a valid answer as I expected.

Now working on escalating this with my business account manager reps and their management team at Verizon.
    Cool, it'll be interesting to see if you can get to the bottom of this.
    12-01-2011 04:03 PM
    Experienced the problem on return from Europe. Verizon/HTC should sort this out as the phone is pretty well useless as a "WorldPhone" unless you want to restore a backup and lose data as a result. If you want to run a network that is different from a lot of the world you better make sure you devices play well if they are world phones. It sounds like QA was sadly lacking in testing this functionality....
    12-05-2011 12:20 PM
    Experienced the problem on return from Europe. Verizon/HTC should sort this out as the phone is pretty well useless as a "WorldPhone" unless you want to restore a backup and lose data as a result. If you want to run a network that is different from a lot of the world you better make sure you devices play well if they are world phones. It sounds like QA was sadly lacking in testing this functionality....
    Even worse, in some cases (above in this thread), restoring the backup wiped out the data connection that was regained thru hard reset. Now if that isn't hopeless, I am not sure what is!

Alas, I gave up and switched to carrier that plays well with the rest of the world (whether it plays well here remains to be seen...). Big fail on the part of Verizon/HTC/MS; raises significant questions about the future of Windows phones on Verizon. In the absence of Windows Phone device options and persistent lack of any fix, I waited 2 months, then gave up. I need a reliable Windows world phone sooner than "someday, maybe"... one that works abroad and continues to work back home! I will be watching to see what happens over here....
    12-05-2011 12:38 PM
    Quick update; began working with a new Verizon level 2 tech, not sure what group he's in, but he does have a lab with a Trophy that he is going to reproduce these issues with. He has to finish updating the phone he has to Mango, and then will work on reproducing the issue. Should be hearing back from him this afternoon.
    12-05-2011 12:45 PM
    The technician that I've been working with has been able to reproduce the issue and is now contacting HTC to continue towards a resolution.
    12-05-2011 02:28 PM
    We were able to get a new ticket opened from Verizon to HTC. The HTC ticket number is 11USCF00002342. This ticket is only for part of the issue. The issue with the Connection Setup application wiping out the 3G data connection either on bootup of the phone if it's installed, and or if it's manually run. This replicates the issue that these phones have when returning from a GSM network.

I am continuing pressure on Verizon now to see if we can't get beyond tier 3 support (they have committed to having product development team attempt to reproduce the issue of change between GSM and CDMA). If anyone has the issue with the Connection setup app I recommend calling HTC and referencing that ticket number.

I know it doesn't fix it all, but hopefully this will move the ball along. Will continue to post updates.
    12-05-2011 04:31 PM
    Reset the phone by restoring backup but I tried using data connection manager after restore and confirmig the data worked and then once running HTC connection manager managed to screw the data again. So it doesnt seem that difficult to repro.
    12-06-2011 10:50 AM
    Hi - I just got back from Europe and am having the same issue. I was using a local (non-Vodaphone) SIM over there and everything worked fine. (I first had to get Verizon to authorize the phone to use other SIMs). Now I am back and no 3G. I have not called Verizon support yet, but was wondering if anyone else with the same issue had a Verizon incident number I could reference. I will also call HTC, anyone know what number to use? Thanks
    12-10-2011 12:49 PM
    Maybe you could reference this thread of you don't hear about a Verizon ticket number. Sorry you have to deal w/ this... but welcome home!
    12-10-2011 02:44 PM
    Here's an update on my situation. I spoke to Verizon yesterday and they could not fix it, suggested I re-set the phone. Next call was to HTC, who also struck out but did agree to escalate the issue since she looked at the internet and saw that a number of people were having the issue. She said the more people that report it, the better chance it has of being fixed. I also reported it using HTC's online support form. I got an incident number back (11USCW51ENA000194) and a e-mail this morning from HTC support saying that this was not a known issue. I wrote them back and told them I disagreed, pointing them to this thread.
    dccpal likes this.
    12-11-2011 10:51 AM
    Interesting that even use of a local SIM doesn't help. I do agree that this is pretty obviously a known issue, but I also think your ticket number ticket is the first for this problem specifically, whereas ticket referenced earlier in the thread is clearly for the Connection Setup problem. It should help to have the second ticket, as it sounded like both problems were possibly getting rolled into one. What a PITA!!!
    12-12-2011 06:53 AM
    Just returned from a 3 month deployment from the middle east. Like everyone else, upon returning to the US I had lost my 3G data connection. Tried *228 with no success. Looks like i'm going to have to perform a phone reset to get my 3G back. It doesn't appear like this is an intermitent bug with only a few users.... pretty much everyone who has taken a VZW trophy outside the US and used data roaming ends up encountering this same issue.

Is this a "World Phone"? Not really.

To VZW and HTC: Fix this issue. I'm loving WP7 and the Trophy (upgraded from a pre), but this is a deal-breaker for me. I'll jump to a Droid if it means having a phone that will work internationally and continue to work when I return home.
    12-12-2011 07:01 AM
    Even those who have NOT used data roaming have had this problem: turning data OFF on US soil and leaving it off until landing again at home - with no data roaming in between, does not help to prevent the problem. Compete fail as a "world phone"...
    12-12-2011 07:10 AM
    Just returned from a 3 month deployment from the middle east. Like everyone else, upon returning to the US I had lost my 3G data connection. Tried *228 with no success. Looks like i'm going to have to perform a phone reset to get my 3G back. It doesn't appear like this is an intermitent bug with only a few users.... pretty much everyone who has taken a VZW trophy outside the US and used data roaming ends up encountering this same issue.

Is this a "World Phone"? Not really.

To VZW and HTC: Fix this issue. I'm loving WP7 and the Trophy (upgraded from a pre), but this is a deal-breaker for me. I'll jump to a Droid if it means having a phone that will work internationally and continue to work when I return home.
    This seems to be a VZW- specific issue, not a WP7 issue as the other GSM US models do not seem to have similar problem. Deal-breaker for me as well, so until VZW has another WP7 device to choose from, I will be with WP7 on a different carrier.
    12-12-2011 07:14 AM
    update - the HTC person I was in communication with after reporting it via their on-line system has acknowledged that this issue was escalated after my phone conversation with them. The incident number I left above is for the on-line incident report, not the voice one. I don't even know if they can find these incident reports when you call them, as I quoted the one left by mcetlinski and the support rep did not see it.

So my recommentation is to make as much noise about this as we can. call verizon, call HTC 1-866-449-8358 and also open an incident via HTC's web site HTC Mobile Phones - Product Support - Smartphones Help
    braindoc likes this.
    12-12-2011 09:47 AM
    Thanks trophyuser. I contacted HTC previously with this exact same issue, my incident number is 11USCW46E​NA001585 in case you continue your discussion with them feel free to mention my number as well. In my last email with their technician I pointed them to this thread but I haven't heard anything back.
    dccpal likes this.
    12-12-2011 01:54 PM
    Wish I could chime in with some updates, but it's gone cold for me at the moment. I'll post back if I hear more. Glad that we're getting more incidents reported at least. They have to take notice at some point.
    12-13-2011 12:08 PM
    The joke is that Verizon and HTC know its there problem, you don't even have to go outside the country to repro - just try using HTC connection application and you can disable the 3G data functionality.

So all HTC have to do is fix up their application so this can be used to reset the appropriate items to reinitialize the 3g connection settings for Verizon.

This should be a straightforward fix for HTC/VZW. Easy to resolve with an update or at least make you damn application not screw the phone.

I'll stick with WP7 but my patience with VZW is diminishing. VZW have little intention of providing users with choice and me and my wife like WP7. I'd rather switch provider than platform.
    12-13-2011 02:13 PM
    Returned from out of the country last night and for the second time in 5 weeks no 3G connection or email. When this happened 5 weeks ago Verizon claimed they did not know why and reset the phone but I had to manually reinstall all my apps any saved pictures etc. I travel outside the US frequently and traded in my Blackberry for this supposedly "world" Windows platform phone. Now face the day having to hassle with them again. Thanks for the ticket numbers - didn't know last time that others were having the same proble.
    12-14-2011 06:55 AM
127 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD