Trophy 'world phone' has no data service on return to US

mcetlinski

May 17, 2011
Visit site
The technician that I've been working with has been able to reproduce the issue and is now contacting HTC to continue towards a resolution.

mcetlinski

May 17, 2011
Visit site
We were able to get a new ticket opened from Verizon to HTC. The HTC ticket number is 11USCF00002342. This ticket is only for part of the issue. The issue with the Connection Setup application wiping out the 3G data connection either on bootup of the phone if it's installed, and or if it's manually run. This replicates the issue that these phones have when returning from a GSM network.

I am continuing pressure on Verizon now to see if we can't get beyond tier 3 support (they have committed to having product development team attempt to reproduce the issue of change between GSM and CDMA). If anyone has the issue with the Connection setup app I recommend calling HTC and referencing that ticket number.

I know it doesn't fix it all, but hopefully this will move the ball along. Will continue to post updates.

skytribe

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Reset the phone by restoring backup but I tried using data connection manager after restore and confirmig the data worked and then once running HTC connection manager managed to screw the data again. So it doesnt seem that difficult to repro.

trophyuser

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi - I just got back from Europe and am having the same issue. I was using a local (non-Vodaphone) SIM over there and everything worked fine. (I first had to get Verizon to authorize the phone to use other SIMs). Now I am back and no 3G. I have not called Verizon support yet, but was wondering if anyone else with the same issue had a Verizon incident number I could reference. I will also call HTC, anyone know what number to use? Thanks

trophyuser

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
Here's an update on my situation. I spoke to Verizon yesterday and they could not fix it, suggested I re-set the phone. Next call was to HTC, who also struck out but did agree to escalate the issue since she looked at the internet and saw that a number of people were having the issue. She said the more people that report it, the better chance it has of being fixed. I also reported it using HTC's online support form. I got an incident number back (11USCW51ENA000194) and a e-mail this morning from HTC support saying that this was not a known issue. I wrote them back and told them I disagreed, pointing them to this thread.

Rocket_Girl

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Interesting that even use of a local SIM doesn't help. I do agree that this is pretty obviously a known issue, but I also think your ticket number ticket is the first for this problem specifically, whereas ticket referenced earlier in the thread is clearly for the Connection Setup problem. It should help to have the second ticket, as it sounded like both problems were possibly getting rolled into one. What a PITA!!!

reignbass118

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
Very Disappointed with the International Capabilities of the HTC Trophy "World Phone"

Just returned from a 3 month deployment from the middle east. Like everyone else, upon returning to the US I had lost my 3G data connection. Tried *228 with no success. Looks like i'm going to have to perform a phone reset to get my 3G back. It doesn't appear like this is an intermitent bug with only a few users.... pretty much everyone who has taken a VZW trophy outside the US and used data roaming ends up encountering this same issue.

Is this a "World Phone"? Not really.

To VZW and HTC: Fix this issue. I'm loving WP7 and the Trophy (upgraded from a pre), but this is a deal-breaker for me. I'll jump to a Droid if it means having a phone that will work internationally and continue to work when I return home.

Rocket_Girl

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Even those who have NOT used data roaming have had this problem: turning data OFF on US soil and leaving it off until landing again at home - with no data roaming in between, does not help to prevent the problem. Compete fail as a "world phone"...

Rocket_Girl

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Just returned from a 3 month deployment from the middle east. Like everyone else, upon returning to the US I had lost my 3G data connection. Tried *228 with no success. Looks like i'm going to have to perform a phone reset to get my 3G back. It doesn't appear like this is an intermitent bug with only a few users.... pretty much everyone who has taken a VZW trophy outside the US and used data roaming ends up encountering this same issue.

Is this a "World Phone"? Not really.

To VZW and HTC: Fix this issue. I'm loving WP7 and the Trophy (upgraded from a pre), but this is a deal-breaker for me. I'll jump to a Droid if it means having a phone that will work internationally and continue to work when I return home.

This seems to be a VZW- specific issue, not a WP7 issue as the other GSM US models do not seem to have similar problem. Deal-breaker for me as well, so until VZW has another WP7 device to choose from, I will be with WP7 on a different carrier.

trophyuser

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
update - the HTC person I was in communication with after reporting it via their on-line system has acknowledged that this issue was escalated after my phone conversation with them. The incident number I left above is for the on-line incident report, not the voice one. I don't even know if they can find these incident reports when you call them, as I quoted the one left by mcetlinski and the support rep did not see it.

So my recommentation is to make as much noise about this as we can. call verizon, call HTC 1-866-449-8358 and also open an incident via HTC's web site HTC Mobile Phones - Product Support - Smartphones Help

braindoc

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Thanks trophyuser. I contacted HTC previously with this exact same issue, my incident number is 11USCW46E​NA001585 in case you continue your discussion with them feel free to mention my number as well. In my last email with their technician I pointed them to this thread but I haven't heard anything back.

mcetlinski

May 17, 2011
Visit site
Wish I could chime in with some updates, but it's gone cold for me at the moment. I'll post back if I hear more. Glad that we're getting more incidents reported at least. They have to take notice at some point.

skytribe

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
The joke is that Verizon and HTC know its there problem, you don't even have to go outside the country to repro - just try using HTC connection application and you can disable the 3G data functionality.

So all HTC have to do is fix up their application so this can be used to reset the appropriate items to reinitialize the 3g connection settings for Verizon.

This should be a straightforward fix for HTC/VZW. Easy to resolve with an update or at least make you damn application not screw the phone.

I'll stick with WP7 but my patience with VZW is diminishing. VZW have little intention of providing users with choice and me and my wife like WP7. I'd rather switch provider than platform.

dccpal

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Returned from out of the country last night and for the second time in 5 weeks no 3G connection or email. When this happened 5 weeks ago Verizon claimed they did not know why and reset the phone but I had to manually reinstall all my apps any saved pictures etc. I travel outside the US frequently and traded in my Blackberry for this supposedly "world" Windows platform phone. Now face the day having to hassle with them again. Thanks for the ticket numbers - didn't know last time that others were having the same proble.

trophyuser

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
The killer is that there is no way I know of to back your phone up before you go away, so all you have to do is restore to the point you were at just before the trip. In my case, I had to restore from before I did the Mango upgrade.

mcetlinski

May 17, 2011
Visit site
Don't know if we should take this with a grain of salt or not; but I'd like to be optimistic. According to my account manager at Verizon he was able to confirm that HTC and Microsoft admitted to the problem, and have taken ownership of it. He stated that according to the email that he received from someone else within Verizon (he was not allowed to pass the email on due to confidentiality agreements) that we should expect to see an update from HTC/Microsoft within the next few weeks.

I would like to trust him on this, but obviously, as I'm sure many others may share my sentiment I am a bit slow to be 100% trusting of the information I was given. I will however hold out a glimmer of hope that they really are fixing it.

Carroll B

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
I was in Germany in early Nov. I kept phone in the airplane mode but did try connect to the hotel wifi. Had no problem with my phone when I returned to the states. Is the problem only caused if you try to connect to local carrier while out of the states? I have a trip to Kenya Africa in Jan and don't want to have problems with the phone when I return.

Rocket_Girl

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I was in Germany in early Nov. I kept phone in the airplane mode but did try connect to the hotel wifi. Had no problem with my phone when I returned to the states. Is the problem only caused if you try to connect to local carrier while out of the states? I have a trip to Kenya Africa in Jan and don't want to have problems with the phone when I return.

This does not seem to help. See earlier posts in this thread from a user who had data connection set to OFF before leaving US (shut it off before takeoff) and did not turn back on until after landing back in the US. Still had this problem...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria