Why am I not getting a 2min ending heart rate after GPS bike ride?

bockersjv

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
Not getting a 2min ending heart rate after GPS bike ride

All

I cannot find a way of getting the 2minute heart rate to record after a GPS bike ride, this shows on the phone or we dashboards for that ride. Occasionally I get a 1 minute reading but even that can fail.

I have registered this with Microsoft Support but they have not had other reports. I am sure others are having this issue, if you are you may also find you don't get a VO2 max fittness level showing on your dash either.

Please report this issue if you have the same.

IF however you managed to get a 2minute reading how did you do it. Is there a secret? Do you wait at the end of a ride before pressing the end button or do you sit still for minutes?

I am keen to get this sorted .

Many thanks

defante

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Re: Not getting a 2min ending heart rate after GPS bike ride

I haven't gone on any bike rides, but for runs and workouts I make sure that before I end it that it is locked on my heart rate (solid heart). Then I go back to the me tile and press it and go to the heart rate screen and keep the screen active for at least two minutes making sure that it doesn't lose the HR lock. That's the only way I've been able to guarantee that it gets the 1 min and 2 min readings.

Nate Silver

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site

I can't be sure, but I think you guys are on the right track here. Primarily I train with cycling, and couldn't get my fitness level to show up. Then I started doing a two minute recovery with my Garmin device after every ride, whether outdoors or spinning with a trainer (I train with both the Band and a Fenix 3). While sitting and waiting for that, I brought up the me tile on the Band to watch my hr drop until the Garmin alerted me after two minutes with my recovery rate. After doing this a few times, my fitness level suddenly showed up in MS Health. I went ahead and ended the ride on the Band while I was waiting, by the way, so I don't think you have to leave the ride active (which would really screw up pace, cadence, etc.).

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site

I've recorded one bike workout with my Band, and that was just a 2:32 session on a stationary bike with no GPS just to get something recorded for that type of workout. It did record a 1 and 2 minute post-workout heart rate, but this was after I made the following observation.

I took notice a while back that I was rarely getting the 2 minute heart rate to record on my runs and other "exercise" workouts, and sometimes not even a 1 minute post-workout heart rate. I may have detected a pattern of behavior. I absolutely never got a 2 minute heart rate when I was quick to open the Microsoft Health app on my phone and sync the Band shortly after a workout. I don't know if it is just my wishful thinking, or if this actually makes a difference, but I've found that my percentage of workouts where the 2 minute heart rate is recorded has improved significantly when I wait several minutes before opening the Health app on my phone.

bockersjv

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site

I like that idea. I may do my next ride with BT off and wait a few minutes after I have ended the ride before I turn it on and sync. You may have something there in that the band it syncing before the 2 minutes have elapsed and so the data does not get recorded.

anon(8555314)

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site

I haven't gone on any bike rides, but for runs and workouts I make sure that before I end it that it is locked on my heart rate (solid heart). Then I go back to the me tile and press it and go to the heart rate screen and keep the screen active for at least two minutes making sure that it doesn't lose the HR lock. That's the only way I've been able to guarantee that it gets the 1 min and 2 min readings.

Can you please elaborate? What does it mean to lock the heart rate? where and how do you get a solid heart, and what does it mean? how do you know if you lose or do not lose the HR lock?

defante

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
If you tap on the main screen (the one that shows the time), swiping all the way to the left you will see your heart rate in real time. A hollow heart means that it is acquiring, solid means locked. It's been mentioned here on a couple threads already that the Band doesn't record any HR readings if it doesn't have a lock so during a workout you want that heart to stay solid as much as you can.

The reason I mentioned ending the workout session and going to main screen and then to the HR section is because it keeps the HR tracking active and you can see if its locked or aquiring. When the band is not in a workout mode, it only queries your HR once every 10 mins. HTH

bockersjv

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
Good idea defante. I'll try that too as turning off bluetooth did not help :(
If that is the case then this is a bug. It is little use there being a facility to record 2min reading if the band hr does not stay active for that time after an exercise. I wonder if this is just a bug with the cycling tile?

anon(8555314)

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
If you tap on the main screen (the one that shows the time), swiping all the way to the left you will see your heart rate in real time. A hollow heart means that it is acquiring, solid means locked. It's been mentioned here on a couple threads already that the Band doesn't record any HR readings if it doesn't have a lock so during a workout you want that heart to stay solid as much as you can.

The reason I mentioned ending the workout session and going to main screen and then to the HR section is because it keeps the HR tracking active and you can see if its locked or aquiring. When the band is not in a workout mode, it only queries your HR once every 10 mins. HTH

Thanks, I will give this a try.

For whatever reason, without doing any of this, I did get a 2 min reading on my last ride.

Honestly, MS needs to do a better job of either making this happen automatically, or if a user is never getting a two minute reading, to provide some info as to what it is , why it matters, and how to get it.

bockersjv

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
I have an open call with the MS Band support line. They are now aware and are looking into why it is not getting recorded. I did a ride today and kept the me tile active to ensure my HR was getting recorded, however it stopped just at the 2 min mark and although it acquired again almost immediately I missed getting my 2 min reading.

Please can anyone having this issue also raise a fault or tweet @MicrosoftBand

Snoke

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
Try this if your having issues with the 1 and 2 min. recovery rate not capturing.
Instead of using the band and trying to keep the heart rate locked by touching the screen to keep active.
What I did is use the app "Show my band" it has a function which acquires your heat rate and locks it in and keeps it active or dies its best while you have it open.
So at the end of your ride/run etc. before you end the session, open this app on your phone. Wait until it locks in your heart rate - then go to the band and end your session. Check the time on your phone and - keep the app open for 3 mins. to be safe. Then you should be able to close the app. Its worked for me a few times and shows promise. I can't guarantee it will work but its been my best option to date. Give it a try. ( No I am in no way connected to "Show my band").

mkg3

Jan 8, 2015
Visit site
Honestly, MS needs to do a better job of either making this happen automatically, or if a user is never getting a two minute reading, to provide some info as to what it is , why it matters, and how to get it.

Exactly! It shouldn't be this difficult. I have had Band since Christmas and seen 2 min reading maybe twice or three times. I workout 4~6 days/week. And never since the last firmware update.

Try this if your having issues with the 1 and 2 min. recovery rate not capturing....................

So at the end of your ride/run etc. before you end the session, open this app on your phone. Wait until it locks in your heart rate..........

It may work - and great that you've shared - but with all due respect, its ridiculous to have to depend on a 3rd party app to get a basic reading.

Microsoft just needs to FIX IT!!!!

DrFix82

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site
Well, this is a major issue, after every run I try to keep hr locked but I rarely succeeded. I think band should try to lock in a more aggressive way, in a wider time window.

Anyway, no update has been released in the last two months and rumors about band2 is frustrating, after having spent 199usd for a beta and buggy product...

TechsUK

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
I wonder if you just pause the workout at the end for those 2 mins as you warm down then end the session whether it would work?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2