Brand new Nokia Lumia 550 won't let me add contacts, what can I do?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

brand new nokia lumia 550 won't let me add contacts

My brand new, purchased today, Nokia Lumia 550 won't let me add contacts. When I go to 'people' and click on the + button, it just goes right back to the start menu - any ideas or do I have to take the dratted thing back to the shop?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Re: brand new nokia lumia 550 won't let me add contacts

That's an odd issue. That shouldn't be happening. You should try a soft reset (hold volume down and power at the same time) and try again.

BB-JAM215

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site

I suspect it is looking for a Microsoft account to add the contact to. Remember that you're now dealing with Windows 10.

Eustis99

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site

Be sure that your signed in and updated. I had an update when I first got mine for the o.s itself and thirty plus apps. The people app being one of them.

chancooluk

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site

Be sure that your signed in and updated. I had an update when I first got mine for the o.s itself and thirty plus apps. The people app being one of them.

This. Unfortunately the Lumia 550 ships with W10 apps from October 2015. The apps were still full of bugs at this point, so updating your apps is an absolute must in order for the phone to work correctly.

It's a ridiculous situation, and I'm sure it will prompt lots of new users to return their handsets of they don't know what they are doing. MS should have delayed the release of the latest phones until W10 and it's apps were ready for prime time.

Mad Bill

May 31, 2016
Visit site

I had the identical problem a couple of days ago. I took the phone back and they replaced it, but the problem returned.

It turns out that what you have to do is: Settings - Accounts - Your email & accounts - email, calendar & contacts, then you are asked for a Microsoft account. When email, calendar & accounts has a Microsoft account attached, the 'add contacts + works fine.

But that is mentioned nowhere in the user guide.

windowsuser1

Oct 13, 2016
Visit site
Hello there,

yeah it's a bit laborious but as the one person said, once you've connected your microsoft account to calendar and contacts you're away. I also found adding Facebook contacts and gmail contacts did the job as well. It really should be mentioned in the guide though.

Regards,
Gareth

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes