Camera Questions

haloswin2002

Jul 22, 2015
Visit site
New to Windows Phone, but I think I will be sticking around for a while. I got a 640 as a tester until the flagship phones come out (hopefully) in a few months.

One of the only things I am having trouble with is the Lumia Camera app. I think this phone has the newest Lumia Camera software, but there are some things I have seen on windows phone tutorials that I just cannot figure out how to do. I have seen an 'action shot' mode where you can overlay several images taken in quick succession (the demo I think was of a guy doing a trick on a skateboard) and you get this cool effect with several images superimposed on top of each other. The second feature I saw involved taking a picture, but being able to remove people from the background, again, it takes shots in succession and you can choose which areas of the picture were stationary, giving you the ability to make a nice clean background (i.e. you take a picture in front of a monument, with minimal foot traffic behind you, and it removes all the background moving objects so you get a picture of just you in front of the monument). I can try and find some demo videos that I saw if need-be, but I just cannot figure out how to access these features within the camera or from any assoicated 'lenses'. I installed blink which does quick shots, but no sort of 'action mode' I described previously.

EDIT: Solved. If I configure my camera to take a video when using the long-press of the camera button, the resulting video can be edited in Lumia Moments, which allows for 'action shot' and 'best frame'. I am thinking 'best frame' is more of just choosing the frame from the video to make a camera image rather than compositing different images into one (i.e. use this frame for person A because they are smiling, and use that frame for person B because their eyes are open to generate my image), but I need to test.

Last edited:

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
First & foremost, make sure you have are you using the Lumia Camera app not the Microsoft Camera app - I know it sounds self explanatory however if you look at the screenshots you will understand what I mean.

1) Lumia Camera App
wp_ss_20150722_0001.jpg

2) Microsoft Camera App has no burst mode. (this may look different as I am running the technical preview)

wp_ss_20150722_0002.jpg

Burst mode - "Smart Sequence" is accessible with-in the camera by scrolling downwards from "photo mode".

To edit the photos you have taken, go to the camera roll either via the photos app or the icon in the top left hand corner in the camera app. Then tap on "edit smart sequence"

The other thing to check is to make sure you have the latest GDR2 update, settings - phone update (OS version: 8.10.15148.160 - can be checked in the about screen).

haloswin2002

Jul 22, 2015
Visit site
I dont see a microsoft camera when I do a search on the app list... and the tile is titled 'Lumia Camera'. When I launch it though it looks more similar to the top screenshot you send than the 2nd. There are differences though. One being, on the right hand side, I only have the camera icon and a video icon above it (and those two are identical to your top image). Whatever those staggered images icon below it (is that the burst mode?) I do not have. If I scroll down on the screen when in photo mode, it just zooms in...

As for the second reply, I am sure I am using the 'Blink Camera' when trying to shoot a burst because I cannot find an equivalent function in the lumia camera. In the settings, there is an option for long hold camera button, its currently set to video and there is an option to switch it to burst, but that still seems slower than Blink. And even if I do the Lumia burst, I dont see a way to make the composed action shots from a series of sequential images..

I will try to post a screenshot from my phone in a few minutes, if not, I will upload one tonight from my computer.

Diamond67

Jul 24, 2015
Visit site
haloswin2002,

What you need is Lumia Cinemagraph -app. Download and install it and it will be found in your camera settings (Apps). :smile:

P.S. You should try Lumia Camera Beta as well.
New in Lumia Camera Beta:
- Access to Office Lens from settings menu
- Pro settings remembered after restarting the app
- General performance improvements and bug fixes

(Sorry, cannot paste links because I am a forum newbie...forum rules/restrictions *sigh*)

Last edited:

haloswin2002

Jul 22, 2015
Visit site
I do have cinemagraph, although I havent quite figured out how to use it too well yet. It seems the areas they give me to animate are never what I actually want to animate, but I can figure that out later.

I am looking for the features explained in this 2013 youtube video titled 'Nokia Smart Camera Best Shot, Action Shot, Low Light and Motion Blur Explained' (I cant post links yet).

I realize its from a 925, but I was under the impression that the 640 even though not a pureView camera got the latest camera app... The app in the video allows for action shots, removal of moving objects, choosing the best face from multiple images, etc.

Edit: Finally got a screenshot (couldnt upload from mobile)
wp_ss_20150723_0002.jpg

Last edited:

duoFurious

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm using the 640 and curious about camera quality. I see some of renders used on the site and I swear most of my images are more grainy. Is there a setting for higher resolution or something?

harmon rabb

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
I confirm the OP is not nuts. My 640 also lacks the burst shot option, and cinema graph definitely does not do that. Cinema graph is for making animated gifs.

rory753

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The new way for smart sequence it's to take a movie by long pressing in Lumia camera, and going to the Lumia moments. It's actually allot better, because you have a full movie to choose from.

haloswin2002

Jul 22, 2015
Visit site
The new way for smart sequence it's to take a movie by long pressing in Lumia camera, and going to the Lumia moments. It's actually allot better, because you have a full movie to choose from.

Ok, so my camera button is assigned for long press to take a video (instead of burst -- which i found to be too slow to actually act as a burst). So from Lumia Moments I will have the editing options I was looking for? I will give it a try in a bit and report back. (also, since Harmon was mentioning it, I am also on T-Mobile)

haloswin2002

Jul 22, 2015
Visit site
Using the long press camera action as 'video', then opening up the subsequent clip in Lumia Moments, DOES give me action shot and the ability to select a best frame. Now that its been found, I need to play with it a bit. I can mark this as 'solved', thanks everyone.

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I'm using the 640 and curious about camera quality. I see some of renders used on the site and I swear most of my images are more grainy. Is there a setting for higher resolution or something?

Well actually there are settings to imply for better photos. They're not really settings but here are the few things you could do: First of all updat your Lumia camera if not already done.
When inside the camera app set flash to auto. Then tap that tiny 'magic brush' or whatever it is. That will enable rich capture and also HDR mode. Note that with rich capture on photos may be up to 8mb in size, since it takes more than one photo. Also if you're in poorly lightened space go to manuall mode and set ISO to suit your needs, there you'll find some more options to optimize your camera. In hope this was helpful for you.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon