Unlocking the Lumia 640: Questions

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Good morning,
I've been considering unlocking my Lumia 640 but I want to know if it's worth the effort. My question is, how hard is it exactly to unlock a phone (as I've never done it before) and what benefits does it have besides just being able to use the phone on any GSM carrier? I have an AT&T Lumia 640. Any other information like how to unlock a phone or a good site that tells me would be nice too but I can figure that out on my own really.

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Unlocking will just let you use it on another carrier. Don't think there are any other advantages. I unlocked my AT&T 640 Go Phone thru the AT&T unlock portal. I don't have the link but Bing/Google it. I think there's a link in one of the threads that were about the $29.99 sale in the 640 forums.

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Also... Very easy to do. They send the unlock code to your email. I got mine in 24 hours. It will tell you to put a non AT&T Sim in but you don't need to. Just dial ##7820# and it opens the area for you to input the unlock code.

jamssx

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
As mentioned above it's only useful if you want to use a different carrier. Now most people just think T-Mobile or Metropcs but it is useful if you are travelling overseas to avoid ATT roaming charges by letting you use a local SIM, say in Europe or Asia.
Now if you are switching to T-Mobile or Metropcs I would strongly recommend debranding and loading their ROMs as they enable a bunch of features that ATT disable, but if you're staying on ATT you need not jump through all those hoops as you won't be able to use those features anyway.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes