Lumia 640 LTE Windows 10 Phone Memory - Storage

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

I really enjoy my Lumia 640 LTE phone, which I have owned for twelve months. Recently, I upgraded to Windows 10 and all has been progressing well, except for Cortana.

Anyway, this week, I received memory messages advising insufficient storage: I have 8 GB phone memory and 4 GB SD card. I worked through my Phone memory apps and moved all that I could to my SD card. The problem remains in that my phone memory storage is high at 6. 77 GB.

Upon reviewing the phone storage, my system and reserved storage is 3+ GB while my Apps and Games storage is almost 3+ GB. In the Apps and Games storage, the Mail and Calendar app is using a hefty 2.08 GB !!!

Today, I have visited my phone service provider, who cannot explain this high memory usage and is unable to assist me. He did a "hard" (?) reboot, to clear the cache, but all to no avail. Also, it is not possible to uninstall and reinstall this app.

Is there anyone who can help me with this problem? The only other option that comes to mind is resetting my phone to factory settings and starting again. Obviously, I am hesitant to do this. I look forward to receiving any support, advice and suggestions.

Thank you in anticipation,
Frances, Sydney

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Upon reviewing the phone storage, my system and reserved storage is 3+ GB while my Apps and Games storage is almost 3+ GB. In the Apps and Games storage, the Mail and Calendar app is using a hefty 2.08 GB !!!

Thank you in anticipation,
Frances, Sydney

You're not the first one with this issue with high storage in mail app. I haven't heard of a solution that has cured this problem. Factory reset might be the only way to resolve it or you could wait for a new mail app update that could solve this problem

In a factory reset: your apps are removed along with any data and app data. I suggest you do the factory reset without restoring backup. Make sure to copy your data to another device. Additionally, remove sd car before starting the hard reset for smoother experience

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Windows Central.

ananve

May 22, 2016
Visit site
Have you tried a setup on the phone not to download everything from server. Try using download mail from 2week/ 1 month options and see if it works.

Posted from my Surface 3 running W10

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Sorry I'm late to the game with my option here, but I have a busy life nowadays.

I had my mail and calendar app get over 2GB Storage at one point, when I was downloading everything to keep stored on my phone. Unfortunately, you can't choose to store messages and attachments on the SD card. I had to go through and delete from my phone a very large list of emails with attachments, and this cleared up storage space for me.

I also had an unusually large amount being used by SMS/MMS, and I had a boat load of photos and videos being shared, which I already had copied to my SD card. Had to delete those messages s well.

If you're having this issue without having a lot of messages stored, then I'd recommend the hard reset to clear your phone, because something is borked (i.e. messed up) causing the cache not to clear.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Sorry I'm late to the game with my option here, but I have a busy life nowadays.

I had my mail and calendar app get over 2GB Storage at one point, when I was downloading everything to keep stored on my phone. Unfortunately, you can't choose to store messages and attachments on the SD card. I had to go through and delete from my phone a very large list of emails with attachments, and this cleared up storage space for me.

I also had an unusually large amount being used by SMS/MMS, and I had a boat load of photos and videos being shared, which I already had copied to my SD card. Had to delete those messages s well.

If you're having this issue without having a lot of messages stored, then I'd recommend the hard reset to clear your phone, because something is borked (i.e. messed up) causing the cache not to clear.

hard reset would be a pain if I have to do it every 2-3 weeks because mail storage jumps from 150MB to 2GB.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
hard reset would be a pain if I have to do it every 2-3 weeks because mail storage jumps from 150MB to 2GB.

What I meant was not to do a hard reset just for the sake of hard reset. If your mail storage jumps like that, and you've deleted the emails, cleared the cache, emptied the trash, etc. and it still didn't free up the memory, then a hard reset is the only way. It should not normally do that unless the OS is messed up to start with.

Franmartin

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
Assuming that you have deleted all unnecessary junk files from file manager, sent messages, inbox(sms), contacts and browser history, the only best feasible solution is “Factory Reset”

aybarrap1

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
After moving all photos and the big apps, there's a large size of space that can't be freed. We barely could reach the necessary space for AU last time.
Look under your settings and go to the phone storage. It will tell you how much space is taken up by various things such as system, apps, pictures, etc. That section will give a breakdown of storage allocation and help pinpoint the culprit. Remember that things like numerous SMS messages with pics attached and emails can take up space.

Sep 7, 2016
Visit site
Hi to all
I have the same problem, my "mails and calendar" (1,14) so I cant update.
What if I start deleting emails, will that delete the email from my account or only from my phone? Will I find tthat from my PC later on? And is this gonna solve the storage prblem or should I hard reset for good?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hi to all
I have the same problem, my "mails and calendar" (1,14) so I cant update.
What if I start deleting emails, will that delete the email from my account or only from my phone? Will I find tthat from my PC later on? And is this gonna solve the storage prblem or should I hard reset for good?

Rather than deleting emails, change how many are allowed to sync to the device.

Open Outlook > ellipses (...) > Settings > Manage Accounts > tap account name > Change mailbox sync settings > Download email from

I always set it for 7 days and I have never had my storage overrun.

Also check if messaging apps may be clogging your storage. If you use messengers a lot that stacks up fast.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon