Will an "unlocked" 950XL work on Verizon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

loki993

May 6, 2014
Visit site
I get it it sucks but I don't know that Im suprised. Plenty of other phones have 810s and dont do CDMA, Any of the new Xperias, one plus 2, probably the one plus x that's coming at some point, probably any of the huawei phones or just about any other unlocked phones you can buy..pretty much none of them support CDMA. Phones always had to be specifically made for Verizon which is why we always got the short end of the stick when it came to phone selection.

mjperry51

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Just like CDMA support on the 950XL, sure the CPU could support it but, if the phone does not have the Attenna or other part of the chipset, enabling it via firmware will do nothing.

CDMA ( protocol) does not require a specific antenna; the frequencies Verizon uses for the CDMA radios do require an antenna designed to operate on the specific frequencies.

The frequency bands available in any phone indicate the operable radios in that phone. Has nothing to do with CDMA, GSM or anything else. It's just RF. . .

Caeric

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
My call to Verizon led to a request for a survey. I gave the rep a good review because he was friendly and tried to be helpful, but I gave Verizon itself a very middle-of-the-road review. This apparently initiated a return call from a Verizon Customer Manager (or some such, can't remember the official title), with whom I discussed many of the issues raised in this thread. During this call I let her know that I was very disappointed in Verizon's noticeable lack of support for Windows Phone and advised that unless I saw a significant change in Verizon's stance and an improved relationship with Microsoft between now and my end of contract date (in June of 2016) I would be moving to AT&T.

She seemed sympathetic and said that everything we discussed would be forwarded. I'm not holding my breath, but I hope to see that change. If not, I will move to AT&T (who has good coverage in my area too), and will let Verizon know why at that time as well.

I hope that everyone in this thread who holds these concerns would do the same - instead of just discussing it here actually make contact with Verizon. It's the only way to really make it clear to them.

Last edited:

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
Take it for what it is worth, on WHAT THE TECH, Paul Thurrott said Windows Phone (Lumia's I assume) are all DEAD on Verizon and that we need to get over it. I am guessing we may have hope 7 months down the line or so but at launch, we are out of luck.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
CDMA ( protocol) does not require a specific antenna; the frequencies Verizon uses for the CDMA radios do require an antenna designed to operate on the specific frequencies.

The frequency bands available in any phone indicate the operable radios in that phone. Has nothing to do with CDMA, GSM or anything else. It's just RF. . .

OK, here we go again...

OK, let's play this game a little. So the ICON and the 930 are the same phone, specs, size, design features but, One is CDMA for Verizon and ONE is GSM only.

Let's find some complete disasemblly of these 2 phones, compared side to side, chip to chip, cables, adapters on the board and I will be proven wrong.

Last a read a few years ago, sure the CPU needed to support it but, there is other hardware that is needed for CDMA to work. As every here seems to say "IT'S ONLY THE CPU" then prove it.

Let's compare the ICON and the 930, 100%...I am sure there is more between these 2 phones than a firmware update...and anyone who knows these devices know, they are the EXACT phone as far as the eye can see....

STILL, that most people just wont get.... The Phone is in it's current form, GSM only, NO SUPPORT FOR CDMA. Microsoft is showing the phone on the shelf like this, meaning the 950 will NOT support CDMA. Then we have Microsoft clearly saying, and may I add, NAMED directly that they wont work with Verizon and Microsoft changing their mind it's not something I see happening.

Right now, it's still a 100% pipe dream, no matter what everyone here wants to believe....

Terrigno

Sep 11, 2015
Visit site
Point blank. If the Phone is unlocked and works on GSM networks and is normally sold for GSM networks, it WILL NOT work on a CDMA network. You can do it the other way around but this phone WILL NOT work on VERIZON UNLOCKED. They don't normally make Unlocked GSM phones with CDMA radios in them. Although one can be made for Verizon that can be a version that is CDMA UNLOCKED to work on GSM networks.

GreenScrew

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
No, that's not if you "look long and hard enough". Those are the specs you get if you go to Microsoft's site and look at them. They are the official 735 specs published by Microsoft. You already saw the link. The same site, using the same search method, gives the 950XL specs, without the CDMA. That's all we have to go by.
Well, if you navigate the store as a normal consumer would (microsoftstore.com):
Microsoft Online Store > Microsoft Lumia > Lumia 735 > Tech Specs... you'll not find any CDMA listings.
If you go to the Online Store, and search for Lumia 735 Specs... you'll not find any CDMA listings.
It seems if you search the generic Microsoft site, you can find the CDMA listings for the 735.
I can't find such specs for the 950/950xl, the tech specs all seem to be hosted in the store site where it is my argument that they may be "watered down". That's all. Regardless, its a legitimate argument that just because its not listed on the specs doesn't mean its not capable. And further discussion seems to agree that at least the hardware is present and can be enabled via firmware which after all is said and done is the premise of this entire thread.

slick5150

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Point blank. If the Phone is unlocked and works on GSM networks and is normally sold for GSM networks, it WILL NOT work on a CDMA network. You can do it the other way around but this phone WILL NOT work on VERIZON UNLOCKED. They don't normally make Unlocked GSM phones with CDMA radios in them. Although one can be made for Verizon that can be a version that is CDMA UNLOCKED to work on GSM networks.

The Moto X Pure, which is sold as an unlocked phone, works on Verizon.

Not saying that applies to others, but point being that manufacturers are looking to move into the "one size fits all" model for their phones rather than specific phones for specific carriers.

d3ac0n

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
Guys get over it. Verizon wanted to dictate updates. Microsoft said to them to **** of and the story ends there.
If Verizin agrees to let updates be controled by microsoft they will get a phone.

Its microsoft's way or the high way

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

mjperry51

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
OK, here we go again...

OK, let's play this game a little. So the ICON and the 930 are the same phone, specs, size, design features but, One is CDMA for Verizon and ONE is GSM only.

Let's find some complete disasemblly of these 2 phones, compared side to side, chip to chip, cables, adapters on the board and I will be proven wrong.

Last a read a few years ago, sure the CPU needed to support it but, there is other hardware that is needed for CDMA to work. As every here seems to say "IT'S ONLY THE CPU" then prove it.

Let's compare the ICON and the 930, 100%...I am sure there is more between these 2 phones than a firmware update...and anyone who knows these devices know, they are the EXACT phone as far as the eye can see....

STILL, that most people just wont get.... The Phone is in it's current form, GSM only, NO SUPPORT FOR CDMA. Microsoft is showing the phone on the shelf like this, meaning the 950 will NOT support CDMA. Then we have Microsoft clearly saying, and may I add, NAMED directly that they wont work with Verizon and Microsoft changing their mind it's not something I see happening.

Right now, it's still a 100% pipe dream, no matter what everyone here wants to believe....
Look -- we're talking past each other.

All I'm saying is there are several separate systems in a phone -- baseband audio (microphone, speaker, and signal processing/routing for each), CODECs (convert audio to digital/ digital to audio, digital signals are GSM, CDMA, etc.), control systems (CPU/Firmware/Software), I/O (touchscreen in smartphone), and radios. Antennas are only specific to the radio systems, and are specific to the frequency band in use.. That's it -- the radio doesn't care whether the signal used to modulate it is CDMA, GSM, analog audio, whatever. There is no CDMA antenna that won't work on GSM, or the other way around.

My post has NOTHING TO DO with whether the 950XL is or is not compatible with Verizon's networks. I'm speaking to the inaccurate application of technology terminology that continue to permeate this thread.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Take it for what it is worth, on WHAT THE TECH, Paul Thurrott said Windows Phone (Lumia's I assume) are all DEAD on Verizon and that we need to get over it. I am guessing we may have hope 7 months down the line or so but at launch, we are out of luck.

Finally someone who actually gets it..(I saw it too and posted a few pages back about it). But, Verizon DOES carry a 735, that is Not a Nokia labeled phone, it IS a Microsoft labeled phone. So 100% dead, who knows...

And 7-8 months from now ? There will be a far better phone than the 950XL by then... In 5-6 months, it's OLD NEWS.

There was also another post (not sure if this was on WC) that Microsoft will NOT be controlling updates on Windows Phone 10(carriers will have a say on them), as they were fighting Verizon this, from what reviewers said.

Maybe this changes things here ?

Look -- we're talking past each other.

All I'm saying is there are several separate systems in a phone -- baseband audio (microphone, speaker, and signal processing/routing for each), CODECs (convert audio to digital/ digital to audio, digital signals are GSM, CDMA, etc.), control systems (CPU/Firmware/Software), I/O (touchscreen in smartphone), and radios. Antennas are only specific to the radio systems, and are specific to the frequency band in use.. That's it -- the radio doesn't care whether the signal used to modulate it is CDMA, GSM, analog audio, whatever. There is no CDMA antenna that won't work on GSM, or the other way around.

My post has NOTHING TO DO with whether the 950XL is or is not compatible with Verizon's networks. I'm speaking to the inaccurate application of technology terminology that continue to permeate this thread.

I hear ya but, you and everyone here seems to be 100% that it's just a firmware that could unlock CDMA. When I am saying it's not. So this is why I said, get internal images of a 929(CDMA) and a 930 (GSM) and we will clear this up 100%. There is more hardware than just a CPU that does CDMA, as I understand.

How ever at this point, the odds of this phone (or the 950) coming to Verizon is very slim... if even possible at this point due to how Verizon took on WIndows Phone in the past and how they handle updates.

It will be interesting if Verizon changes their tune but, for a phone that holds about 3% of the marketplace, I would not get hopes up too high.

Last edited:

MMissionary

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Finally someone who actually gets it..(I saw it too and posted a few pages back about it). But, Verizon DOES carry a 735, that is Not a Nokia labeled phone, it IS a Microsoft labeled phone. So 100% dead, who knows...

I hear ya but, you and everyone here seems to be 100% that it's just a firmware that could unlock CDMA. When I am saying it's not. So this is why I said, get internal images of a 929(CDMA) and a 930 (GSM) and we will clear this up 100%. There is more hardware than just a CPU that does CDMA, as I understand.

How ever at this point, the odds of this phone (or the 950) coming to Verizon is very slim... if even possible at this point due to how Verizon took on WIndows Phone in the past and how they handle updates.

It will be interesting if Verizon changes their tune but, for a phone that holds about 3% of the marketplace, I would not get hopes up too high.
I've seen ads for the 735 recently but I don't think it's high on their priority list. Could get an HTC windows phone.

dksf42

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
It anyone else but me tired of reading about "low market share"??? There are MILLIONS of Windows Phone users IN the US MARKET! I am a "person", living in these great United States of America and I refuse to be lumped into the "only 3.5%"! So, what exactly is the US Windows Phone USERS population in the US? Yes, of course Apple and Android will be far greater but, I don't care, as I am a customer of Verizon and I want to "join a revolution of users to get my voice heard on Verizon"!!!

Does anyone here know the following:
1) Total estimate of smartphones in the US?
2) Total number of Windows Phones in the US market (to date)?
3) Total number of Verizon smartphones?
4) Estimated total number of Windows Phones on Verizon?

United we stand, divided we fall = let's TRY to create some MORE NOISE to "convince Microsoft to UNLOCK Band 13 and CDMA" - OR - FORCE Microsoft and Verizon to "officially says" the truth!

Perhaps, MOST IMPORTANTLY, I am a business user and "what the heck are Enterprise users in this BYOD world" going to "miss" with all of the NEW Work productivity features that the 950XL contains ... but, are ON VERIZON???

COME "anyone and everyone" that WILL LEAVE Verizon - or consider to leave - BECAUSE of the 950XL "UNLOCKED" ***NOT WORKING*** on Verizon either in the next several weeks or "SOON"!!!

ALL OF YOU that say "NO WAY" = why don't you politely "bow out" and go find something else to occupy your time!

THIS THREAD = a "REBELLION" - I started it - to Verizon's "GESTAPO TACTICS"!!! Sorry, to invoke that level ... but, THIS IS the United States of AMERICA - and - I do NOT giving a flying SxxT about Verizon and "whatever THEY WANT" !!!

It IS ABOUT "WHAT WE WANT" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SO ... PLEASE answer the questions above !

PS Dear Satya Nadella = FIX THIS and give us MILLIONS of "Verizon USERS" the 950XL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lupinesithlord

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Actually I believe that the Icon has unlocked gsm radios in it. Something that verizon doesnt scream to the mountain tops.... I could be wrong, but dont think I am. The 928 could be used unlocked on gsm I think Icon too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion